Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Who charging 20+ amps or more now?? >

Who charging 20+ amps or more now??

Who charging 20+ amps or more now??

Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
if you want to talk about evolution, how about we evolve to a battery that won't catch on fire! it is tough to understand the stampede past LiFe-Po4 to LiPo when one considers the hazard vs performance trade offs.
Without throwing stones at racers that have gotten injured lets just say that, when you look closely, every LiPo fire recently discussed has some form of user error or intentional risky behavior associated with them.

LiPos are very safe when used within normal safe parameters. If you leave packs unattended, use poor quality chargers, if you repeak fully charged packs at 70A or charge to a 4.5v cut off all the time you are asking for trouble.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by avs
if you want to talk about evolution, how about we evolve to a battery that won't catch on fire! it is tough to understand the stampede past LiFe-Po4 to LiPo when one considers the hazard vs performance trade offs.
Think of all the devices you have that have Li-Po bat's... cell phones, tablet's,lap-tops even electric cars run on Li-Po's. The problem with Li-Po's is incorrect handling, pure and simple
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by z3zinho
Think of all the devices you have that have Li-Po bat's... cell phones, tablet's,lap-tops even electric cars run on Li-Po's. The problem with Li-Po's is incorrect handling, pure and simple
I don't think that is correct. Cars, tablets, phones and laptops all still use Lithium Ion batteries. I would not drive a car with a big LiPo pack running it. Talk a bout a major risk in a crash!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

No, all of the above certainly do use LiPo batteries...Google is your friend
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kiwipete
This one below (maxamps)
This 24v power supply is a beast! It can handle multiple high end chargers at one time with up to 1150 watts! If you need the best rc power supply for all those amp hungry chargers, pick up this MaxAmps.com 24v to supply all your power needs.
•100v-240v AC Input Voltage
•24.3v DC Output Voltage
•47A Continuous Output Current
•1150W Output
•11" x 4.5" x 3.125" dimensions
•6.5 lbs
•Short circuit and over-voltage protection
•Heavy duty metal cabinet
•1-year guarantee

This powerful and easy to use power supply will work perfectly with the Cellpro PowerLab 8 Charger and all Hyperion DC Chargers requiring a heavy-duty power source.

Note: This power supply comes with two power cords. Both need to be used to achieve 24V. In addition, you have the flexibility of using it as a 12v power supply by only powering the negative(black) side of the unit.
i just bought the components to make this same power supply. it seems pretty simple so we'll see.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubie-wan
I don't think that is correct. Cars, tablets, phones and laptops all still use Lithium Ion batteries. I would not drive a car with a big LiPo pack running it. Talk a bout a major risk in a crash!
Most mainstream electric/hybrid cars still use nimh.......
Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM

If someone unsoldered motor wires running 1s they are clueless. They had to have been running open mod with 20g wires overgeared with boost or something. I race on a high grip carpet track with some very fast guys. The hottest I have ever run a motor was 175 deg F when I ran too much gear and timing. I have seen motors hit 200 deg F when a guy over geared, commented how terrible the motor was running and continued to run 6-7 minutes anyways....

Yeah open mod with boost on a carpet track... It happens...even to clueless national champions.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i just bought the components to make this same power supply. it seems pretty simple so we'll see.
It isn't hard. Follow directions carefully to get the grounds floated. That maxamp piece is a total rip.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubie-wan
Lithium ion might still be a bit more common but LiPo is used as well. My mp3 player and cell phone use LiPo, this laptop and my old cell phone use ion.

Interesting enough, I believe that the batteries that Boeing has had fires with are Lithium Ion.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC112b
It isn't hard. Follow directions carefully to get the grounds floated. That maxamp piece is a total rip.
Float only the negative on the power supply that will be providing the 24V. If you need to use extension leads, use 10AWG.

Common practice is to solder female bullet connectors to the power supplies, use 4mm for the 12V side and 5mm or 5.5mm for the 24V side. This way you won't fry a charger that can not handle beyond 18V. Also the 5/5.5mm bullets have lower resistance for the higher current draws.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Yeah open mod with boost on a carpet track... It happens...even to clueless national champions.
Cold solder joint. Sadly way too common, seen it happen to some of the best. A proper solder joint doesn't melt until around 360-370 F. A small amount of paste flux is your friend, and do not let the joint move before solidifying.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Without throwing stones at racers that have gotten injured lets just say that, when you look closely, every LiPo fire recently discussed has some form of user error or intentional risky behavior associated with them.

LiPos are very safe when used within normal safe parameters. If you leave packs unattended, use poor quality chargers, if you repeak fully charged packs at 70A or charge to a 4.5v cut off all the time you are asking for trouble.
not true, i have seen a fire in the pits that was caused by intentional abuse, but i have also seen a car meltdown in a nasty swirl of noxious smoke without warning. the fellow it happened to is a LHS owner, knowledgeable and conscientious. it was an eye-opener, and since it happened in an indoor track (west coast in la mirada, ca) it emptied the place until the fumes cleared out. the battery had not been thru any trauma, it had taken a charge without incident, and it was solid brand name product.

so why in the world would we not want to use a battery chemistry that is totally incapable of meltdowns and fires?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I always do 10 Amps Myself
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
so why in the world would we not want to use a battery chemistry that is totally incapable of meltdowns and fires?
No such thing exists. LiFe is FAR less likely to blow than LiPo but still can catch fire.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
No such thing exists. LiFe is FAR less likely to blow than LiPo but still can catch fire.
+1 I even seen minh batteries blow into a fire ball!!

If you always use a Lipo bag or Locker when charging you going to be fine.

It's when you don't take that extra time to install your battery into a lipo bag is when you get burned.

EVEN AT 1C CHARGE!

I always use a lipo bag and charge at 20 amps without any problems. (knock on wood).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.