R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
That's the way I look at it, if there is a speed difference, I really can't feel it. But I'm sure with the module it's at least as fast as my Mars was by itself(not to mention I haven't had even the slightest hint of a glitch since I installed it)......
Are we talking about using this with the Original Mars or the Mars R? I wasn't sure whether a Spektrum would work with the Old Mars or not.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

I'm using the spektrum with my "R" model and NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!

Just take the Plunge!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
That's the way I look at it, if there is a speed difference, I really can't feel it. But I'm sure with the module it's at least as fast as my Mars was by itself(not to mention I haven't had even the slightest hint of a glitch since I installed it)......
What it might end up feeling like is too much steering, because you won't have to start turning quite so soon before a corner.

As for the Mars or Mars R, the Spektrum site only says it will for for the Mars. I'm pretty sure it will work for both (I hope!).
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by gibbous
What it might end up feeling like is too much steering, because you won't have to start turning quite so soon before a corner.

As for the Mars or Mars R, the Spektrum site only says it will for for the Mars. I'm pretty sure it will work for both (I hope!).
....humm ...are you guys saying that the spektrum is supposed to be "faster" than the standard helios TX/RX modules? ....if so, here I've been thinking it was the other way around!!!
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by HarshGuy
....humm ...are you guys saying that the spektrum is supposed to be "faster" than the standard helios TX/RX modules? ....if so, here I've been thinking it was the other way around!!!
Yeah...thats the beautiful thing about spektrum, it's faster than ANY current radio out.

Thus, since the Mars already has about 80% of the Helios' features, by adding a spektrum, you dramatically update your radio and are faster than a stock Helios to boot!

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Yeah...thats the beautiful thing about spektrum, it's faster than ANY current radio out.

Thus, since the Mars already has about 80% of the Helios' features, by adding a spektrum, you dramatically update your radio and are faster than a stock Helios to boot!
Well I have a helios ...and all this time I was worrying that it was slower "on paper" with the spektrum LMFAO!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:

It does, like I said my radio is the ORIGINAL Mars(no R model), & it works perfectly with it. & about a week & a half ago a friend wondered if it'll also work with the older EX1 Precious(the predecessor to the Mars), so I let him borrow the module & he tried it with my car, & it seemed to work on that one too(& I believe he now has a Spektrum on his Precious & seems quite happy with it). So trust me, it DOES work with ANY Mars radio, be it original, 2000 or R model.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet

Quite wrong. The Spectrum does not make your system faster, it is just compatable to work with the faster systems. The faster signal is in the CPU not the module or receiver.
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #24
Tech Addict

LOL !

....See wat advertising hype can do !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #25
Tech Master

Interesting wrinkle. So the 5.6ms "response time" only means it can support radios that operate *up to* that speed? For example, if the Mars operates at 10ms with it's own module and receiver, does this mean it still operate at 10ms with the Spektrum module and receiver?

If true, the line on their FAQ:
[B]
What kind of response time does Spread Spectrum have?[b]
Spectrum's DSM system is optimized to give the fastest possible response time of 5.6ms. Typical FM systems offer a response time of 12 to 18ms.

...is pretty mis-leading, clearly implying an improvement in "response time."
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
[B]Interesting wrinkle. So the 5.6ms "response time" only means it can support radios that operate *up to* that speed? For example, if the Mars operates at 10ms with it's own module and receiver, does this mean it still operate at 10ms with the Spektrum module and receiver?

[B]
What kind of response time does Spread Spectrum have?
Spectrum's DSM system is optimized to give the fastest possible response time of 5.6ms. Typical FM systems offer a response time of 12 to 18ms.

As long as it ain't slower with the spektrum installed it's all good!!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
[B]Interesting wrinkle. So the 5.6ms "response time" only means it can support radios that operate *up to* that speed? For example, if the Mars operates at 10ms with it's own module and receiver, does this mean it still operate at 10ms with the Spektrum module and receiver?

[B]
What kind of response time does Spread Spectrum have?

Yup...thats exactly how I took it. However, since Spektrum by-passes the entire FM transmission loop within the radio, I assumed it to be true.

If we're just talking how fast the CPU cycles are, then it's just silly. As you couldn't tell the difference between a 50Mhz CPU creating the signal and a 3.2GHz one. Since they both still have to go through the module to transmit in the first place.

In the end, whatever...If it feels realtime, it IS realtime.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #28
Tech Adept

As I've said before, it is simply impossible for any module to output user data to the car any faster than the data is output to the module.

I challenge Spektrum to explain their claim of 5.6ms, when the PPM signal sent to the module is output every 16ms, and then must be decoded before transmitted to the car .
The FM transmission loop is by-passed, but not the way the data is encoded (PPM, which I think is Peak-to-Peak Modulation)

This might be plenty fast, even 32ms response time might be unnoticeable, that is not the major issue in my view, it is being honest in your advertising and published specifications. If they are not being truthful with this information, you might wonder about the rest of the information they publish, such as 79 units at once, where it may very well be only 26 even in ideal conditions.

Please don't get mad at the messenger for pointing out the truth, because we are their competitor doesn't change the facts.
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Ok, then how about THIS fact, IT WORKS. Simple as that, I honestly don't care about who's response time is 5-10ms fast than another's, because I'd challenge most ANY of you to do a blind test & prove you can feel the difference.. The FACT is, ALL of my friends who have it with a KO radio(regardless of model), has had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. The ONLY person I know who's had any trouble is a guy who has a Futaba 3PK, for some reason his will sometimes go into failsafe mode in the middle of a run(& btw, it might also have something to do with his brand of ESC, if one of those CS models that were sold through Schumacher, it may be possible they suffer the same things as the LRP ESC's do with it). Is THAT enough facts for you?

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #30
Tech Master

Yup, that's the real test - can you *feel* it. I hope to be finding out first hand this weekend!