R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Questions from a new guy.

First post on here, thanks for having me.

I have been racing entry level RC Cars now for about 3 months on a short track at a mates car yard. We all have HPI Sprint 2 Sport cars, good for the track size but i am looking for something a lot faster to compete with faster cars on larger tracks.

I currently live in a country town in Western Australia but am soon moving to the big smoke.

So, i have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I have been looking for someone who supplies RC Car size rumble strips. I would like to buy/make/get a variety of rumble strips so i can set up a track in car parks using them and marker cones. I was thinking 3 or 4 hairpins, 5 or 6 left/right turns a few little bends. This way i can throw them in the back of the car and set them up as i need them. Any ideas on how to make these or someone who supplies them?

The second question, What car should i be looking at. I was thinking of getting a Spint 2 Flux but after some looking around on the net, im not sure its exactly what im after.

I dont really want something i have to put together myself, i dont mind tinkering with it but want it to come all together. I was looking at a TC6.1 but from what i can gather i will have to order extra parts and put them in to make it work.

Any help you guys could give me would be great.

Cheers,

And go easy on the new guy! ;-)
Timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Welcome and here is my opinion. After moving, see if there is a local club. If there is a local club, go to a few of there races and see what they run. Parts support is a big factor for what to run as waiting for a part online could take a long time compared to parts from a local hobby shop.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
First post on here, thanks for having me.

I have been racing entry level RC Cars now for about 3 months on a short track at a mates car yard. We all have HPI Sprint 2 Sport cars, good for the track size but i am looking for something a lot faster to compete with faster cars on larger tracks.

I currently live in a country town in Western Australia but am soon moving to the big smoke.

So, i have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I have been looking for someone who supplies RC Car size rumble strips. I would like to buy/make/get a variety of rumble strips so i can set up a track in car parks using them and marker cones. I was thinking 3 or 4 hairpins, 5 or 6 left/right turns a few little bends. This way i can throw them in the back of the car and set them up as i need them. Any ideas on how to make these or someone who supplies them?

The second question, What car should i be looking at. I was thinking of getting a Spint 2 Flux but after some looking around on the net, im not sure its exactly what im after.

I dont really want something i have to put together myself, i dont mind tinkering with it but want it to come all together. I was looking at a TC6.1 but from what i can gather i will have to order extra parts and put them in to make it work.

Any help you guys could give me would be great.

Cheers,

And go easy on the new guy! ;-)

Welcome first off. You say you want something that comes together. I am assuming you mean assembled and almost ready to run. Well, all of the good cars come as kits. The only thing that would be a step above what you are running now is an associated TC4 that comes RTR. The TC6.1 comes as a kit and needs to be assembled. Xray, Associated, Tamiya, Yokomo, these are all of the top cars and are kits. I would suggest as BC did to check and see what's local. If everything has to be ordered then its your choice. I personally run XRay as it has a ton of parts support at my club, and the US distributor is 5 min away. Aside from that Xray is very durable and getting the necessary extras will hold you over for a long while as the parts don't break very often. Of my 3 X-rays I have only broken 2 c-hubs and 2 front arms in 2 years, and I hit a lot of boards at times. I think you would be happy with the xray as its fast and can take some abuse and keep on going. If you never hit anything then your a great driver and you can probably make any of those suggested cars fast. Check around and see what they run in the bug city and go with that. Have fun most of all.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
Suspended

Agree with BCbub you must check if there is local club. Go and check which RC cars are they using in their clubs and waht are the specs of the cars..
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Cheers for the replys guys.

I might take your advise and make a few phone calls before i buy anything. Find out what they run and go with something similar.

Jerz616: Thats the answer i was looking for. I have never put together a car before and am a bit nervous i will mess it up. I also dont know all the abbreviations you guys use for everything that needs to be bought as well as the kit.

My local hobby shop guy is pretty clued on with it all but he keeps crapping on about different cars and stuff and gets off track. Plus its always good to get opinions from you guys who actually use the cars.

I really want to get one before i do move to get used to the way it drives. It's obviously going to be a lot quicker than my S2S.

Cheers again, any more opinions/tips are more than welcome!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Just another thing quickly. How hard are the 'kit cars' to put together for a complete amateur. And does it explain exactly what extra stuff i need to buy to make it work in detail?

Cheers again!

Timmah
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Just another thing quickly. How hard are the 'kit cars' to put together for a complete amateur. And does it explain exactly what extra stuff i need to buy to make it work in detail?

Cheers again!

Timmah
They are pretty easy to build. Just take your time and read the directions. Get you some quality tools an you will be good to go. I think building them is the best way to learn about the car. Makes fixing them after breaks a while lot easier. I can tear my xray down pretty fast now and fix anything in between heats. Best way to learn in my opinion. Don't be scared to build one. You really can't mess anything up. The instructions are really detailed and most kits have each sections parts bagged seperately so you don't get anything confused.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The kits do list required items. They are vague in description as there are many options on electronics and the like. The assembly instructions for some kits can be a bit dicey for a novice but I put together my Xray T3R without much trouble. The Xray instructions were very specific on construction and were well laid out and easy to understand. You-Tube is your friend as is Google.

Many kits don't have a body. You can opt to by a pre-painted one or get an unpainted shell and do your own.

What electronics you get depend on the class of racing you plan on doing. Local tracks may dictate what is legal so investigate that before investing in motors and ESCs for instance.

Kits usually don't supply radios and receivers. Again, I would see what is available locally first or get a top brand that you can get receivers for readily. I personally like Futaba. Find one that suits your hand and budget. Again, see what is being used at the local track. Racers there may have some good advice.

If you are good with your hands, I would not hesitate to get a kit as the cars tend to be a lot better in quality and ease of use.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most kits are not difficult to assemble. Some require a little sanding here and a little shimming there. XRAY kits tend to be some of the best for not needing to do anything to make it all fit right. They have super precise tolerances. XRAY kits also include greases and fluids needed to finish the build. Most others do not.

If you think you are going to get into racing, buy a kit. It really helps when you break something, to already know how it all went together in the first place.

Someone in the area you are moving to, might be on here and could give some insight about the tracks around and the classes they run, but you just gave a city nick name which is used for more than a dozen cities around the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Smoke

I'm guessing you are referring to either Melbourne or Sydney, but you could even be talking about the City I'm from(Toronto). It's also nicknamed "The Big Smoke"
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Again, thanks for all the replys. Very much appreciated and informative.

The city i will be moving too is actually Perth, Western Australia so if there are any racers from there, please let me know. Would be GREAT to find someone from there to get some info.

Thanks for the info on the kits too guys, much appreciated. I think i will look at getting an Xray kit and putting it together myself. I have also enjoyed painting the shells that i have done so far so will look to do that again. Have even got a few custom stickers made for them! haha.

I will definately do in consultation with my local hobbie shop, however any info you guys could give me whatever an ESC is (I have no idea),and what the different options on "electrics" are would be great.

Again i really appreciate the help guys. You have this amateur all excited to get his wallet out on my next day off! haha

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
...I dont really want something i have to put together myself, i dont mind tinkering with it but want it to come all together. I was looking at a TC6.1 but from what i can gather i will have to order extra parts and put them in to make it work.
Any help you guys could give me would be great...
If you are in this for long haul putting a kit together is a great way to learn about your car, how it works, and how to repair and maintain it.

Even though there are a variety of hop up parts for the TC6.1, you don't need to spend a lot of extra money, if any, to make it competitive. As a factory AE driver, I am currently using two aftermarket parts.

1. RSD DCJ driveshafts - These reduce front drive train chatter when using a spool.
2. RSD soft shock bladders - These help you build the shocks with zero rebound.

Both of these are very fine tuning options and are not necessarily must have items (especially the bladders).

Of course you will have to add a complete set of electronics and radio system as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Again, thanks for all the replys. Very much appreciated and informative.

The city i will be moving too is actually Perth, Western Australia so if there are any racers from there, please let me know. Would be GREAT to find someone from there to get some info.

Thanks for the info on the kits too guys, much appreciated. I think i will look at getting an Xray kit and putting it together myself. I have also enjoyed painting the shells that i have done so far so will look to do that again. Have even got a few custom stickers made for them! haha.

I will definately do in consultation with my local hobbie shop, however any info you guys could give me whatever an ESC is (I have no idea),and what the different options on "electrics" are would be great.

Again i really appreciate the help guys. You have this amateur all excited to get his wallet out on my next day off! haha

Thanks again!
An ESC is an "electric speed control". As for motors you will need to see what classes are ran. I run an Orion R10pro with a trinity D3.5 17.5. Just depends on what class you run.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Alright, you guys have convinced me to get a kit and have a crack at building it. As i do need to learn more about them and how they work for when i break stuff.

How difficult is it to add a "complete set of electrics and radio system". I spose it cant be that hard or no one would be doing it.

Ill go and see my hobbie shop bloke and get some prices on the Xray kits and any others that are similar.

Cheers!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Alright, you guys have convinced me to get a kit and have a crack at building it. As i do need to learn more about them and how they work for when i break stuff.

How difficult is it to add a "complete set of electrics and radio system". I spose it cant be that hard or no one would be doing it.

Ill go and see my hobbie shop bloke and get some prices on the Xray kits and any others that are similar.

Cheers!
Like Rick said if you are in this for the long haul a kit is the best way to go. The electronics can become very expensive, but if you et the right ones they can follow your progression. I would suggest reading up on radio systems as I feel that is one of the most important parts. I started with a cheap spektrum radio thinking oh this is better then the RTR stuff. Man was I wrong. So i dumped another $300 for the spektrum DX3rPro thinking it was going to be so much better. Well it was, and I improved but I didnt like the feel of it. SO I got smart and started researching and watching what others were using. I finally settled on a KO Propo Eurus. Man I wish I would have dmade the switch sooner. The KO was so much better as far as feel in my hands, and that translated into better control and better lap times. Now, the DX3Rpro is an awesome system, but just not for me. The radio can be the second most expensive purchase aside of your kit so research and choose wisely. The electronics vary depending on what you want to do. Check and see if your club will be running "blinky" mode or will allow boosted speedos. Blinky is no dynamic timing allowed in the ESC. You can get speedos that are blinky only like the Orion R10 pro "race" edition like I use in my stock sedan. They also have the timing versions that have a blinky setting so you have the option of running boost or no timing. I have 2 of these also and they are great. Tekin, LRP, Orion, Hobbywing are probably the most common ESC's. The next electronic would be the motor. Again, are you going to be running stock or mod or maybe they run 13.5 or 10.5. Then you just need to find a brand you like. I like Trinity and run them in all my cars, but Reedy, schuur speed, tekin are all great motors too. I just started with Trinity back in the stone age when I was a kid, and just stuck with them when I started back again a couple years ago. It all seems a little overwhelming, but it is actually fun trying different things. Just do some asking around and see whats common as this will help a lot with setups. Its fun to try and figure it out on your own, but it helps to have others that cna chime in. Do a little research and you will be good to go.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Jerz thanks again mate. You are the man.

I will definately be researching it further before i take the plunge and buy a kit and electronics etc. Once i decide on the kit (probably Xray) i will start a post and ask for some tips/advice on the rest of the gear to get. I will also try and find a club and see what they run so as to mirror that.

Thanks heaps for the help, you have cleared up soooo many things i was unsure about.

Cheers!