Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Higher end radios

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Higher end radios

I just have a question about which radio to get. I am considering the following radios:

Futaba 3PK
Airtronics M8
Ko Propo EX-10 Helios

I would like to start with synthesized modules and then go to the DSM Spektrum modules. Does anyone know if all of these radios will work with the DSM modules? Also, do these radios come with regular synthesized modules?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Tech Rookie

I use a Helios and have been very happy with it. I believe all of those radios are Spektrum compatible, but you should check with a hobby store. The Helios is easy to use, lightweight.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Higher end radios

Originally posted by brushless
I just have a question about which radio to get. I am considering the following radios:

Futaba 3PK
Airtronics M8
Ko Propo EX-10 Helios

I would like to start with synthesized modules and then go to the DSM Spektrum modules. Does anyone know if all of these radios will work with the DSM modules? Also, do these radios come with regular synthesized modules?
3pk YES
M-8 and m11 YES
Helios NO
but the new JR radio (clone of the Helios) will coem standard with synthesized equipment.
But I do love my helios with the Spektrum and don't see the point to buying extra equipment then buying the DSM later. If you want to wait for the JR you won't be disapointed it will have alot of the smae great features as the Helios but still give you Synth...with the ability to upgrade later.
Also m-8 and I belive the New M11 both do or will have the option of orderign them with the synth Modual and receiver.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With the release of Spektrum and so on, I would stick to a mid-range radio. The reason being that your $280 purchase turns into a $430 investment. Where at $150 you will have more than enough features and HRS (3PM). Plus you will have an exposed atenna route and the new atenna is exposed to damage, example - radio tip over.

JR and Airtronics tend to stick to their designs longer, where Futaba usually comes out with a new radio every three years.

If you have a ton of money for your hobby, go big, real big.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Higher end radios

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
3pk YES
M-8 and m11 YES
Helios NO
but the new JR radio (clone of the Helios) will coem standard with synthesized equipment.
But I do love my helios with the Spektrum and don't see the point to buying extra equipment then buying the DSM later. If you want to wait for the JR you won't be disapointed it will have alot of the smae great features as the Helios but still give you Synth...with the ability to upgrade later.
Also m-8 and I belive the New M11 both do or will have the option of orderign them with the synth Modual and receiver.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Why do you say No to the Helios? The synthesized transmitter only is $369. Which of these radios can I get with the synthesized transmitter and receiver already in a combo?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

I already have a mid range radio. I have the Airtronics MX-3S. This past weekend I had so many glitches, I just gave up and went home. I know it's my radio and receiver because I totally replaced the ESC and motor and it did the same thing. I've been having glitching problems this whole year and I'm tired of it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Honestly I didn't know KO had a synth system in place.
Also your glitching can be casues by many different factors.
My Yokomo SD glitched so bad I almost quit RC all together.
Luckly some really nice people showed me what was what.
If you are running a Carbon fiber chassis then the factors just jumped up another three clicks...
Not even a synth system can solve some of the issues.
I thought the same as you and bought the Novak switch and the glitching still persisted. So really what we need to do is figure out what is casueing the glitching....
First anything Grafite-Carbon Fiber-of both rubbing can cause glitching.
The antenna touching a Grafite-Carbon FIber part can cause glitching.
Running Carbon Fiber-Grafite chassis can cause glitching.....
AND ON AND ON AND ON.
Some really good items to look into are radio noice redusers (ferrit coils) that you put on your ESC and Servo wires to eliminate radio interferance going out to your componants.
Also there are clip on Ferrit coils that go on your motor wires, Futaba and Much more racing have those...
Yokomo has a Noise Killer kit.
Here is a link to the Yokomo kit.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=395&id=2193
You put the noise killer between your Esc and receiver.
The silver tape is to go around your receiver to kill any chance of a glitch I just used ferrit coils and my glitching stopped.
Unless of corse someone turns on their radio....
Here is a lick of how I used ferrit coils on my Yok SD.
Hope this helps
Stephen <><
Besides it is a whole lot cheeper than a $300 radio.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

In all honesty guys, I think it is the fault of the radio and receiver almost every time a glitching issue arrises when a syth radio is used.
Brushless, I strongly suggest either using a spektrum system, or stick with crystals. I used to have a synth setup, and it was terrible. I have never met anyone who's synth setup worked flawlessly for an extended period of time. Either the receiver will break since the circuit board is a dual deck system (the two boards constantly slam into each other until breaking) or the radio module/system goes out of tune. It is ridiculous system for r/c racing. The only ones I've seen work for awhile are in on-road carpet cars or stock off-road racing with small jumps that won't ever jolt the car too bad. Even still, those situations can't prevent the transmitter from coming out of tune. I'm sure there will be some on this board that have had synth systems work great for them, but I think they are far and few between. having the transmitter going out of tune and the receivers being very fragile is a bad combo!
If you are looking for a cheap alternative, I saw someone suggested the Futaba 3PM. there is a crystal based version you can get for like 110$. It has pretty much all the adjustments any other high end radio has.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
Honestly I didn't know KO had a synth system in place.
Also your glitching can be casues by many different factors.
My Yokomo SD glitched so bad I almost quit RC all together.
Luckly some really nice people showed me what was what.
If you are running a Carbon fiber chassis then the factors just jumped up another three clicks...
Not even a synth system can solve some of the issues.
I thought the same as you and bought the Novak switch and the glitching still persisted. So really what we need to do is figure out what is casueing the glitching....
First anything Grafite-Carbon Fiber-of both rubbing can cause glitching.
The antenna touching a Grafite-Carbon FIber part can cause glitching.
Running Carbon Fiber-Grafite chassis can cause glitching.....
AND ON AND ON AND ON.
Some really good items to look into are radio noice redusers (ferrit coils) that you put on your ESC and Servo wires to eliminate radio interferance going out to your componants.
Also there are clip on Ferrit coils that go on your motor wires, Futaba and Much more racing have those...
Yokomo has a Noise Killer kit.
Here is a link to the Yokomo kit.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=395&id=2193
You put the noise killer between your Esc and receiver.
The silver tape is to go around your receiver to kill any chance of a glitch I just used ferrit coils and my glitching stopped.
Unless of corse someone turns on their radio....
Here is a lick of how I used ferrit coils on my Yok SD.
Hope this helps
Stephen <><
Besides it is a whole lot cheeper than a $300 radio.
I did not know that graphite had such a huge impact. What do you recommend for a Nitro car with a graphite upper deck? I get slight glitches that I would like to eliminate. Great info though, thanks.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by performula
I did not know that graphite had such a huge impact. What do you recommend for a Nitro car with a graphite upper deck? I get slight glitches that I would like to eliminate. Great info though, thanks.
Not really equipt to tell you about nitro....I had an 1/8 scale that I only ran for short period of time and that was when I was running Cyrstals still.
But I would suggest you make sure you cover all exposed area of your antenna like in my picture above...the green fuel line to cover the wire...Then make sure you have a doubel layer of servo tape in between your receiver and car...vibrations are also known to cause glitching...
Other than that I would use ferrit coils around your servo wires just incase it is causing some radio noise.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Is this why in the helios manual it says that you should put 2 layers of douvle stick tape under the reciever?

Hey Brushless synthasized isn't always a goodt hing, i hear around the track that people switch their m8 synthasized to crystls due to glitching. I prefer crystals personaly. Also the m8 is a very good, but very old radio. The 3pk and the helios are the 2 that i would pick. i own a helios and find that it has great ergonimcs and alot of great features. Do some research on these radios and see what you like.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Glitching like someone else mentioned is normally caused by graphite touching the rx wire, what you can do to stop this even if your wire isn't touching is wrap the exposed wire in either heat shrink (unshrunk) or in fuel line. Any metal to metal contact will cause your system to go crazy as well. Use plastic washers any place you can, or find a way to avoid any metal to metal contact. If you do it right, you will not glitch.

I have run crystal based systems, (M8), and also run synthesized,(XS3 PRO), never had glitching as long as you arew careful how everything is routed in your car or are paying attention to the linkages and metal to metal contacts. The synthesized is very nice and convenient to use. I never had a problem in many months of running my PRO in a drake truck with huge amounts of vibration and big jumps that I used to take at the track. Never a single problem.

All three of the radios that you mentioned are Spektrum compatible as of just a few weeks ago. The 3PK from what I hear is more geared toward someone with bigger hands. However the functions and gizmos on that thing are amazing.

The M8 is also a great radio and many pros around the world and tons of club racers have it as their radio of choice. The M8 is what I run now and after using it a while I find myself looking to trade it for a Helios.

Find what feels comfortable to you, and what you can afford. They all are great radios and you will not be disappointed with any of them.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Also brushless just to let you know , it probaly won't mae a difference, but all the LHS i've been to all say the helios is the way to and they all either own one or either want one. This probaly won't matter, but Marc reinhard now uses the helios instead of the m8.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

I have been using using Futaba radios eversince I started R/C, now I have 3PK with Spektrum. Never had any problem even before Spektrum. I used to have PCM receiver and did not have glitching problem. I always double-tape the reciever and routed the antenna away from everything else just to isolate it. I switch to Spektrum for ease of use and not worry about crystals although I used power capacitor to avoid voltage drop on acclerations. If I have to get a new radio...I will look into the forthcoming NOMADIO System. It's a complete set up in DSM with built-in telemetry . Just my 2 cents.

Henry E.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: Higher end radios

Originally posted by brushless

Futaba 3PK
Airtronics M8
Ko Propo EX-10 Helios

Also Airtronics has the m11 now. But i'm going to stay with the m8.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.