Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Let's Talk Modified

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Just to round out the discussion, I'll throw in what I felt I gathered from running Mod 12th in Horsham. These are obviously rather generalized but they were the types of things I was questioning from the outside looking in.

Rear tires lower than 42/41 mm were the norm. I finally settled on 41.6/40.5 to start with the Gravity S/S. Seems almost like you wanted the tires as small as possible while still making sure you had some foam left at the end of the run. More than one of the A-main contenders was using Ulti's. Staggers from 1-2 mm.
96 tooth spurs are pretty common.
Some drag brake (5%-20%)was used as well as push brake by some of the drivers.
23-27 tooth pinions with 3.5-5.0 motors. Lots of the motors were timed right around neutral.
I ran TQ 16g and saw at least one other A-main car using the same. No problems with wire temps or unsoldering.
I was running the HW 1s esc with no fan and with the boost I had in it the esc edged towards 170* by the end of the week. I saw about 6 Flows in the mod 12th, an orca, and a HW v3.
All 10 A-main cars were using the PF AMR-12 in the mains.
Proper diff tension in a mod 12th was tighter than I expected. Building a diff for Mod will certainly highlight any problems you have in building a diff that don't show when building one for stock. There was not much concensus on std. vs. light rings, ceramic vs. steel vs carbide or 3/32 vs 1/8 balls. The main idea was get it smooth, and tight as the tighter diff in mod 12th helps the car get in and out of the corners as well as keeps it from slipping.

I'm sure I'll reread this in a year after running more mod and wonder how I even finished the race, but at this point its all I got!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've seen the Rspro lose radio signal with 6.5t boosted... No way it's doing 4.5t boosted and beating the other speedies out there.... There is a short video on youtube where pattojr had a serpent S411 with a 3.5t boosted mildly and speedpassion esc, which looked extremely Quick... I am afraid that it will be the future mod benchmark, eventhough he only ran for a minute or so ....
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

S411 3.5t boosted 33* at 8.5fdr, so I believe....
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYE0yLn4UFc
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Rspro with a 4.5t equals POOF !!! Most racers prefer the Hobbywing v3.1 ! I have the new Novak Pulse to test later in the summer: might be good......
Is this also the case with 1s in 1/12?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

I have not seen a Rspro running 1S mod , so I can't comment on that........
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
So RS Pro is ok to use just dont add boost? I thought in the specs for the RS Pro they say it can handle motors up to 3.0 or something like that. I would be sensitive to adding boost to a 4.5 almost none at first to begin with as a newby. Was just wandering for later and what the pro could handle VS any other speedo. Thinking about where and what to invest in. I ran 13.5 with my RS this last weekend and it worked great with the 17.5 stock setup on car.
The specs for the RS Pro rate it at 2.5T, but nevertheless, mine didn't care for my 4.5T LRP x20 one bit and consistenly thermaled after about 4min run time. Additionally, its throttle curve was much too aggressive for my liking. The speed passion I'm running now handles the load much better and with a smoother delivery. It does this, of course, at the cost of size and weight.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

I bought an RS Pro because the specs said I could run mod and it would also be good for 13.5 at club level.
Mildest mod motor I had was a Nosram 5.5 and I couldn't do more than 3 minutes without thermal cutout. That was on tarmac on a cool day.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyclonetog
I bought an RS Pro because the specs said I could run mod and it would also be good for 13.5 at club level.
Mildest mod motor I had was a Nosram 5.5 and I couldn't do more than 3 minutes without thermal cutout. That was on tarmac on a cool day.
Did you temp gun the ESC, what sort of temps were you seeing?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

I've seen the Rspro lose radio signal with 6.5t boosted... No way it's doing 4.5t boosted and beating the other speedies out there.... There is a short video on youtube where pattojr had a serpent S411 with a 3.5t boosted mildly and speedpassion esc, which looked extremely Quick... I am afraid that it will be the future mod benchmark, eventhough he only ran for a minute or so ....
S411 3.5t boosted 33* at 8.5fdr, so I believe....
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYE0yLn4UFc
Having spoken to the top Mod drivers in the UK (Worlds A-Finalists), almost all have standardised on running 4.5's with fairly standard gearing (8.2-8.4), then adjusting boost for the size of track etc.
This is the smallest national track in the UK would be this;
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This was the largest (we're not going there this year);
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Skiddins
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Did you temp gun the ESC, what sort of temps were you seeing?
No, everybody there said I was going to struggle, and I did. Lots of people had tried to make it work and failed so there was little point in me bothering.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

that is my car, and those are my settings. there is a new Video from last weekends State titles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=slhtnh6gbqE
this is a full Run. also one of the other cars had gone to the same setup 3.5t and SP with similar settings. my second lap(first Full lap) was 0.03 faster than my last lap. no fade, no dropping of lap times.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
that is my car, and those are my settings. there is a new Video from last weekends State titles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=slhtnh6gbqE
this is a full Run. also one of the other cars had gone to the same setup 3.5t and SP with similar settings. my second lap(first Full lap) was 0.03 faster than my last lap. no fade, no dropping of lap times.
Motor? Gearing? ESC settings?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
Motor? Gearing? ESC settings?
was posted earlier by bertrandsv87.

SP 3.5T V3
8.5FDR
SP GT-2.0 pro 428 stock software. 33 boost, no turbo , slope rate 600/0.1
battery 6500 ORCA.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

i will also add something that is quite important.
some people use a throttle trigger, some people use it as a switch. i am very aware how much throttle i am using in certain parts of the track, and there is no drag brake. i am very easy on brakes also, i have enough just to slow myself down, not lock up. if one was to use alot of brake, drive flat out and brake hard to enter a corner, this setup will over heat quickly. also track is low grip, a noticable increase of temp is found when grip becomes higher than normal.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Thanks for all the honest RS Pro answers. I think I will use it in my 13.5 blinky and get a SP V3 to try out mod with. thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.