Search
Like Tree52Likes

Let's Talk Modified

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by riceball777
Also it seems like everyone racing mod uses a 4.5 turn motor and some use a 5 turn motor. Does anyone use a 3.5 or 2.5 turn motor? Or are these motors way too fast for racing?
Way too much power. I've seen a touring car with a 4.5 turn literally power-slide the entire back straight of a 90' carpet track, and on outdoor tracks they are faster in a straight line than 1/8 scale. The 3.5 turn motors are sometimes used in 1/12 scale where they run a 1s pack, but the 2.5 turn motors arent even much use in drag racing, maybe if you had something heavy.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The equation is simple-- but depends upon the motor manufacturer/version as some are faster than others--
​​​​​Mod TC indoors: 5.0 or 5.5
Mod TC outdoors: 4.5 or 5.0
silden likes this.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:46 AM
Tech Rookie

+1
Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's all about ESC setup, Car setup and mostly throttle finger control.
simple likes this.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Use a hobbywing xr10 pro any generation and use softening value settings also only charge to 8.2 volts on ur lipo the motors are animals So straight line u won’t notice but takes the excessive punch away
Old 09-19-2023, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Rotors

I have 20 rotors. I tried them in many motors. If you study the hw and trinity rotor charts you can learn alot. The rotor tranfers power to car. So instead of not charging battery full. Try using a weaker rotor.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jasburrito
I have 20 rotors. I tried them in many motors. If you study the hw and trinity rotor charts you can learn alot. The rotor tranfers power to car. So instead of not charging battery full. Try using a weaker rotor.
This is true that it will reduce the torque produced, but if you go too far the motor will lose efficiency and too weak of a rotor will produce a lot more motor heat.

A very safe method of turning down low-end torque and giving you a better driving feel would be to play with the "Servo Speed" setting in your radio for the throttle. This is meant to be used by nitro racers to keep them from snapping their throttle valve open and stalling their engine, but in electric racing it can tame the torque of a mod motor.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can honestly say, in the past 7 or 8years since the majority of club tracks have mandated blinky esc’s and spec motors, I haven’t had to replace any broken parts on my cars, other than bearings and gears.
mod classes use to be a sure way to break stuff. I kinda miss the thrill of trying to fix my cars before the next qualifier. That was mod racing😆
Lonestar, nik77356 and MC Hamilton like this.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simple
I can honestly say, in the past 7 or 8years since the majority of club tracks have mandated blinky esc’s and spec motors, I haven’t had to replace any broken parts on my cars, other than bearings and gears.
mod classes use to be a sure way to break stuff. I kinda miss the thrill of trying to fix my cars before the next qualifier. That was mod racing😆
But... Mod go fast...
nik77356, simple and Rampokker like this.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

I personally miss the old days of stock, where you spent more time working on the brushes, bushings, and magnets than the actual car to go fast, lol. It’s amazing in my local scene back then how the fastest stock guys could technically qualify mid-pack in Mod A mains with the times they were posting.
Isaac likes this.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DesertRat
But... Mod go fast...
Definitely miss that nut tucking whoosh with the throttle pinned going through the sweeper at the end of the straight when the esc turbo kicked in🤠….
Old 09-21-2023, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple

The worst part of that is breaking a part that requires extensive breakdown of the car. Problem is, you have to go and marshal, then your also running in another class, so you have to get that car running. On top of that, there wasn't a large showing, so races are going quick. if you're lucky, you might get your car finished right before a break, so you'll have time to retune the suspension and/or steering alignment. I've been in that situation a couple times.
simple likes this.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
The worst part of that is breaking a part that requires extensive breakdown of the car. Problem is, you have to go and marshal, then your also running in another class, so you have to get that car running. On top of that, there wasn't a large showing, so races are going quick. if you're lucky, you might get your car finished right before a break, so you'll have time to retune the suspension and/or steering alignment. I've been in that situation a couple times.
I see the 21.5 guys breaking stuff more often than the mod guys. Not sure how any of what you just said is specific to mod.
Rampokker and silden like this.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yes and no

Originally Posted by DesertRat
This is true that it will reduce the torque produced, but if you go too far the motor will lose efficiency and too weak of a rotor will produce a lot more motor heat.

A very safe method of turning down low-end torque and giving you a better driving feel would be to play with the "Servo Speed" setting in your radio for the throttle. This is meant to be used by nitro racers to keep them from snapping their throttle valve open and stalling their engine, but in electric racing it can tame the torque of a mod motor.
yes and no. Nitro has very little torque. The traction a nitro can get with clutch slip just right seems to destroy electrics in lower traction situations. So torque can be bad. A high torque rotor just draws high amps no matter the settings. Hw, trinity, fleeta, reedy ect ect. All make dozens and dozens of rotors to tune your motors. Low turn chunky windings do not need strong rotors. It's over kill. Just study the charts. The rotor puts power to the tires.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I see the 21.5 guys breaking stuff more often than the mod guys. Not sure how any of what you just said is specific to mod.
All we're implying is that the stress is higher on the mechanics of a mod motivated car, and the margin for error/damage is smaller when you make a mistake.
Going slower is undeniably easier on a car in the event of a "tick - boom!"

If you see a bunch of spec drivers causing more havoc than a modified class, I'd question the quality of driving before drawing any other conclusions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.