R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #286
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Up the gearing, to around 8, even 7.8 FDR... and then drop the boost/turbo back. Motor should actually run a bit cooler, and be smoother.

I used to gear my ProAmps 4.5t at 8.3, since going to 7.7, and dropping boost, turbo back a bit (same speedy), motor has been cool, smoother, and most importantly faster and more consistent on times... certainly worth a shot, IMO.
Will give it a go next time on the track. Drop to 8.0 FDR boost to around 10 and turbo at 25 and see from there.

Tnx for the tip
Cale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #287
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I'm supposed to be racing Mod in a few weeks time (at a interclub series round), which is terrifying considering I have barely turned a wheel with a mod motor in, but I'm still looking forward to doing it at least the once.

With gear I'm trying hard to sort that out, considering I'm about to change to a T4 Xray, and a mate did me a good deal on a Tekin RS Pro to use (got to figure out where to mount a fan to blow down onto it), motor choice is still up in the air for me, seems a few used and used but not used 4.5-5t motors around, not sure if I would prefer a 5.5 or maybe even a 6.5, maybe not the 6.5 after reading this thread in full though.

One of my only major concerns is what I may break/stress on the car doing mod, the other is looking at the mild puff I see on some packs run in mod, meaning I'm unsure if I want to use my brand new SMC 6500's, cause I was hoping to keep those fresh to run in Stock at the state champs in September...
Your SMC packs will be fine.

I'd start with a 4.5 and run it in blinky or really lo boost and work from there. Way too many guys start with 6.5-8.5 motors and end up with 4.5's after a couple outings. There is a reason the 4.5's are almost the standard in mod TC and it's because they are the right speed and can make 6 minutes. BUT, I don't think your Tekin will like a 4.5 boosted in TC if you do go with some boost take it easy for the speedo's sake.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
considering I'm about to change to a T4 Xray, and a mate did me a good deal on a Tekin RS Pro to use (got to figure out where to mount a fan to blow down onto it)
In my T4 with an RS Pro, Futaba BLS551 (low profile), Sanwa RX-471 rx (pretty small), and I think 100T Spur / 47T Pinion, with my transponder and power switch up on top of the servo mount, I had plenty of room to mount one of the Yeah Racing fans between the ESC and the motor. So it should pull air across the solder posts and blow it onto the motor. I only have a 17.5 in it, and only did about 10 laps with a really flat battery, though. So I don't know how effective it really was. The point being that there's room to get the fan in there.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #289
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm supposed to be racing Mod in a few weeks time (at a interclub series round), which is terrifying considering I have barely turned a wheel with a mod motor in, but I'm still looking forward to doing it at least the once.

With gear I'm trying hard to sort that out, considering I'm about to change to a T4 Xray, and a mate did me a good deal on a Tekin RS Pro to use (got to figure out where to mount a fan to blow down onto it), motor choice is still up in the air for me, seems a few used and used but not used 4.5-5t motors around, not sure if I would prefer a 5.5 or maybe even a 6.5, maybe not the 6.5 after reading this thread in full though.

One of my only major concerns is what I may break/stress on the car doing mod, the other is looking at the mild puff I see on some packs run in mod, meaning I'm unsure if I want to use my brand new SMC 6500's, cause I was hoping to keep those fresh to run in Stock at the state champs in September...
I ran a Trackstart 4.5t at the SC interclub with 25deg Turbo and about 15deg Boost at 8.0FDR and it ran below 55deg C. The only issue I had was poppin wheelies down the front straight when I got on the throttle a bit early.

I still have a speed passion 4.5t that you are welcome to use if you want to Kerry.
bigtez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I got another run in today! My wife wanted to go couch shopping so I told her I know a good furniture store by the track and all I wanted to do was do a test lap! Lol Car still has a bit of a push and or me not getting to brake in time. Still have stock finger control! Still would like to get more steering! I stood the shocks up a notch when I got home so hopefully that will work next time out! Does anybody run stock and mod classes and how well do you transition on your driving?
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I got another run in today! My wife wanted to go couch shopping so I told her I know a good furniture store by the track and all I wanted to do was do a test lap! Lol Car still has a bit of a push and or me not getting to brake in time. Still have stock finger control! Still would like to get more steering! I stood the shocks up a notch when I got home so hopefully that will work next time out! Does anybody run stock and mod classes and how well do you transition on your driving?
I drive the stock car like a mod car deep in, slam the brakes, rip out.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #292
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I feel a lot like you do on this Troy. For anyone new to mod, regardless of the motor/esc/radio you definitely don't want to be locking the tires up on asphalt. For a starting point I set the brake strength to 100 in the esc and dial it down in the radio until the tires don't lock up at the end of the straight at full brake. I usually end up going a little higher from there as I never find myself hitting full brake at the end of the straight. On carpet I am less concerned about the tires locking up, but it still isn't the fastest way around. I am usually between 10 and 15 on drag. One of the features I like on the KO is the Nutbrake (Neutral Brake) as it allows me to play with drag brake on the stand, and the radio still calibrates correctly at power up, unlike brake trim.

Mackie, I'll show you my HW settings on Friday. I had two slightly different setups in my two cars both yielding same fast lap. One was a few degrees lower on turbo and boost and had the boost rpm range extended by 5k which made it feel a little slower, but was easier to control. Definitely not the grip it and rip it you're used to though.

AWD
Sup Drew....u running the v3.1 esc?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #293
Tech Initiate

Drove stock for a year, switching more and more to mod now.
The transition between 2 classes at the same day is anoying.
I can handle it but stock 13.5 is so slow suddenly
Cale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale79 View Post
Drove stock for a year, switching more and more to mod now.
The transition between 2 classes at the same day is anoying.
I can handle it but stock 13.5 is so slow suddenly
Had the same problem after I went back to 13.5 after my first ever meeting in Open Mod.
Put the 13.5 down in practice and thought something was broken
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #295
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I'd start with a 4.5 and run it in blinky or really lo boost and work from there. Way too many guys start with 6.5-8.5 motors and end up with 4.5's after a couple outings. There is a reason the 4.5's are almost the standard in mod TC and it's because they are the right speed and can make 6 minutes.
Ran Mod the first time today in my 12years of onroad. After a full day of racing with my 7.5t, I must admit sadly that this is my feeling on the matter. I will be putting a Reedy Mach2 4.5t in my Schuie.
Still have a lot to learn about mod but I ain't gonna half-step

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Ran Mod the first time today in my 12years of onroad. After a full day of racing with my 7.5t, I must admit sadly that this is my feeling on the matter. I will be putting a Reedy Mach2 4.5t in my Schuie.
Yep, running the HW3.1. I really like it. Its robust for sure.

I saw an Mi5 in person this weekend and the driver and I had a good couple of minutes talking about back when the US team was under Shawna and Adam.

Glad to hear your enjoying mod.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #297
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
What size track and surface are you running on?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #298
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the help and advice, it's a good thread for Mod tips, and a good idea to have here.

I think I'm going to make a bracket and shift my high speed fan from behind my motor to directly above the Tekin when I do mod (or do you run the motors hard enough to justify the fan on motor in mod?).

Also Nosram Pure2 5T?, guy I'm getting the T4 off has a couple, I figure the even wind may be a little tamer to drive?, he has the older Pure as well by the looks of it, I figure if they are a good motor I'll grab one.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the help and advice, it's a good thread for Mod tips, and a good idea to have here.

I think I'm going to make a bracket and shift my high speed fan from behind my motor to directly above the Tekin when I do mod (or do you run the motors hard enough to justify the fan on motor in mod?).
I think a fan on both the motor and esc is called for in mod. I generally temp both after a run to be sure I'm in the ballpark. I normally find that my speedo is about 20 cooler than the motor in mod and have not had an issue with that.

If you have a Tekin esc I'd definitely run a fan on both. I've never tried one in mod but it doesn't look like the Tekins like much boost in mod before they overheat.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A local guy ran a Tekin RS Pro on our medium, technical carpet track and a 10.5 boosted mod motor and his Tekin with no fan was getting up to 180f after runs. They just can't handle turbo and boost without a cooling fan.

I'm sure with less boost/turbo and a powerful fan, it'd be better but I wouldn't run one in mod. Plus, they suck to program, always having to plug it into a PC. That's why I switched to Hobbywing.