R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #241
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The speed zone 5.0 motors are buttery smooth and very fast!
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #242
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 102
Default

i havent used much throttle tweaks on the radio, but i definately use my expo setting and such for steering, especially in mod
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #243
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
100% agree .... A very good pack is a must, but also a very good charging technique(ie: high enough amps)...
can you elaborate please?
__________________
don't take it too serious, they are toys....
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #244
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,799
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Just read your manual! Which I need to do as well...lol. I know its sound cliche, but 'knowledge is power". If you can understand and work your radio parameters in conjunction with the motor you'll be ahead of the game.. Well, I hope.

Adjust your radio for each motor, and track conditions.
Im not sure what radio you have ..but I have the 4PK futaba
I use the Throttler curve adjustment..this will help you to smooth the throttler control..I almost can drive the 4.5 octa like the stock motor 17.5
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #245
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Im not sure what radio you have ..but I have the 4PK futaba
I use the Throttler curve adjustment..this will help you to smooth the throttler control..I almost can drive the 4.5 octa like the stock motor 17.5
that right there makes me kinda wanna switch from my old dx3r
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #246
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well when it comes to charging, there is a ”who's charging at 20+ amps ” thread that I keep track of, and somewhat changed my charging habits a bit. I use to charge at 7amps, but now I try to stay from 16amps to 22amps , with a limit of around 13minute charge time immediately after discharge... It ensures the best power delivery out of my current charging system(Tp1430C + 25amp power supply)... Other racers have more powerful systems like the I charger 4010 with adequate power supply, but it's too expensive for me...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #247
Tech Elite
 
BoneCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,195
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which mod motor to start out with?

Suggestions please.

As an intermediate skilled driver (a driver at my club of similar skill level podiumed the amateur 17.5 class at the IIC 2 years ago) that has been driving 17.5 Blinky TC and 13.5 boosted TC the last few seasons, I feel it's time to step up and try my hand at MOD as our rules next season now allow for open motor in the faster classes (both TC and 12th). Our indoor carpet season doesn't start for another few months so I'm trying to figure things out way ahead of time.

Reading thru different threads, I'm confused which approach I should take. My home track is 80x36 feet ozite carpet generally medium-ish grip.

Having never driven anything faster than a 10.5 TC, also trying to get rid of a bad habit of lock to lock steering and not learning how to use brakes properly when I first started RC racing, the question is:

1. Do I start with a low turn motor like a 5.5 in TC (4.0 in 12th) so that it makes it super hard for me therefore get me to learn a more sensitive trigger finger right off the bat

OR

2. 8.5 or 10.5 motor (5.5 or 6.5 for 12th scale) so it's easier for me to start and not get too discouraged as I won't suck as bad.

One thing I'm confused is that I keep hearing you should not run as low turn a motor for the smaller tracks but I'm thinking all tracks have some type of technical sections so really a smaller track just has more technical sections so you just get to practice more throttle control?

Any insight is much appreciated from the fast guys and let's ignore which speedo or motor brand is better to keep things simple.

Ivan

ps. Just also wondering approximately how much mah would be used up in a 6 minute TC run using a 5.5T motor (8 minutes 12th run using a 4.0T motor) in your experience?
__________________
ARC R10, 12R5.1, Tamiya Mini, MTS FFv2 Pro, Exotek F1
carcar.ca
BoneCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #248
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,335
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
Suggestions please.

As an intermediate skilled driver (a driver at my club of similar skill level podiumed the amateur 17.5 class at the IIC 2 years ago) that has been driving 17.5 Blinky TC and 13.5 boosted TC the last few seasons, I feel it's time to step up and try my hand at MOD as our rules next season now allow for open motor in the faster classes (both TC and 12th). Our indoor carpet season doesn't start for another few months so I'm trying to figure things out way ahead of time.

Reading thru different threads, I'm confused which approach I should take. My home track is 80x36 feet ozite carpet generally medium-ish grip.

Having never driven anything faster than a 10.5 TC, also trying to get rid of a bad habit of lock to lock steering and not learning how to use brakes properly when I first started RC racing, the question is:

1. Do I start with a low turn motor like a 5.5 in TC (4.0 in 12th) so that it makes it super hard for me therefore get me to learn a more sensitive trigger finger right off the bat

OR

2. 8.5 or 10.5 motor (5.5 or 6.5 for 12th scale) so it's easier for me to start and not get too discouraged as I won't suck as bad.

One thing I'm confused is that I keep hearing you should not run as low turn a motor for the smaller tracks but I'm thinking all tracks have some type of technical sections so really a smaller track just has more technical sections so you just get to practice more throttle control?

Any insight is much appreciated from the fast guys and let's ignore which speedo or motor brand is better to keep things simple.

Ivan

ps. Just also wondering approximately how much mah would be used up in a 6 minute TC run using a 5.5T motor (8 minutes 12th run using a 4.0T motor) in your experience?
I would just run the faster motor off the start. Put a bit of boost in to soften up the low end, and drive as hard as you feel you can.

I ran a 4.5 at every WCICS race I attended last year, with the exception of Airdrie and its odd traction. I did feel like I was slightly overpowered, mostly on the bottom end, but these races were also not run with the same sort of "turbo" or "boost" as we ran on the stock motors previously.

In Denver this year at the MHIC after running the 4.5 for a few packs I wised up and borrowed a 5.5 (thanks again to John). I still felt that it was too punchy and decided to finally nut up and run some boost, remembering what I'd read in this thread. It felt perfect. With the traction we had from Friday night to about mid Saturday, I experienced very little wheel spin when I wasn't being trigger happy, and by the 3rd round I almost wanted to motor up again for a bit more bottom end.

So while I can honestly say that a 7.5-9.5 has it's place, the 4.5-6.5 range is most likely where you'll want to start on most tracks we run on. 1/12 scale is a whole different ball game, and I've never done it myself. We're in the same boat there.

Also, in Modified Sedan I usually pull anywhere from about 3000mAh-4000mAh in a run, depending on my gearing, timing, and the traction level.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #249
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
Suggestions please.

As an intermediate skilled driver (a driver at my club of similar skill level podiumed the amateur 17.5 class at the IIC 2 years ago) that has been driving 17.5 Blinky TC and 13.5 boosted TC the last few seasons, I feel it's time to step up and try my hand at MOD as our rules next season now allow for open motor in the faster classes (both TC and 12th). Our indoor carpet season doesn't start for another few months so I'm trying to figure things out way ahead of time.

Reading thru different threads, I'm confused which approach I should take. My home track is 80x36 feet ozite carpet generally medium-ish grip.

Having never driven anything faster than a 10.5 TC, also trying to get rid of a bad habit of lock to lock steering and not learning how to use brakes properly when I first started RC racing, the question is:

1. Do I start with a low turn motor like a 5.5 in TC (4.0 in 12th) so that it makes it super hard for me therefore get me to learn a more sensitive trigger finger right off the bat

OR

2. 8.5 or 10.5 motor (5.5 or 6.5 for 12th scale) so it's easier for me to start and not get too discouraged as I won't suck as bad.

One thing I'm confused is that I keep hearing you should not run as low turn a motor for the smaller tracks but I'm thinking all tracks have some type of technical sections so really a smaller track just has more technical sections so you just get to practice more throttle control?

Any insight is much appreciated from the fast guys and let's ignore which speedo or motor brand is better to keep things simple.

Ivan

ps. Just also wondering approximately how much mah would be used up in a 6 minute TC run using a 5.5T motor (8 minutes 12th run using a 4.0T motor) in your experience?
i think we're pretty similar, so i'm not the most experienced here, so i dont have any expertise exactly, i've experienced exactly where you are. And maybe some of the pro's here can help me I only run 1/10tc though, can't help at all with 1/12.

I'm one of the top 3 or so locally, typically 2 laps off our local sponsored driver in 17.5. We've been running our mod/open class for a bit, but it's typically me and 1-2 other people that are decent, the rest just dont fit in our 17.5 class, and our track is also just about the same size. Im too a very light braking guy, and have gotten a lot smoother in 17.5

I started running Mod with an 8.5, and you know how they say anything less than a 5.5t is a waste? its right Almost nothing i got from my 8.5 helped, it's way closer to a 17.5. This year i got my 4.5, and i was out of control completely with it, it's a whole new monster. What i did though was gear it all right, then turned my throttle epa down to 75% at the start of the day. Each heat i would bump it up 5%. it kinda eased me into it a bit better. at 75% its still more to handle than the 8.5, but not that much. after a few sessions of that, things really started to get better. Might not be the most recommended way, but this did help me get used to things

I havent had an esc to run boost (fixed now, but the season is over) so i cant comment on how that helps, we'll learn that together! haha.

We run 5 minute heats, i'll typically dump 2200-3500, depending on my settings, how hard im pushing, etc...

hope that helps a bit.. and any one else can feel free to help me out coming into my second mod season in carpet/1st on asphalt!
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #250
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ivan, you can handle the 5.5 easy, just have to get it set up right. Your car on the other hand...
__________________
Team Serpent
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #251
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Well when it comes to charging, there is a ”who's charging at 20+ amps ” thread that I keep track of, and somewhat changed my charging habits a bit. I use to charge at 7amps, but now I try to stay from 16amps to 22amps , with a limit of around 13minute charge time immediately after discharge... It ensures the best power delivery out of my current charging system(Tp1430C + 25amp power supply)... Other racers have more powerful systems like the I charger 4010 with adequate power supply, but it's too expensive for me...
Buy better battery packs and motor up.
You're supposed to be gaining speed with a modified motor, not charging regimes.
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #252
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Been following the 20A thread too. I've been charging at 20A+ and it does help the IR but I find the pack charges less full. The discharge in mod seems to help the IR even more. I've gone back to 1-2C charge, I'm finding the learning curve with the mod just too steep to warrant worrying about gains from the charging regime.
The power has changed the car's behaviour so much that it feels like starting for the first time. So for me its about power delivery, choice of motor and find a linear speedo setting, and a whole different mindset towards setup. The power can really change how the tyres react too
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #253
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Im not sure what radio you have ..but I have the 4PK futaba
I use the Throttler curve adjustment..this will help you to smooth the throttler control..I almost can drive the 4.5 octa like the stock motor 17.5
Did you crank down the throttle highpoint to 50% so it has the same speed as 17.5 lol just messing with you. Expo is your friend in MOD.

I got an advice from Paul Lemeux last year at the REEDY Race. He said your friend in racing Modified is "Drag break" Crank your drag break way up to the point it will slow down the car without locking and over heating the motor and turn down your initial break to the point it will slow down the car without completely loosing speed in corners. Guess what it works!!! Thanks Paul L.
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #254
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,799
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
Did you crank down the throttle highpoint to 50% so it has the same speed as 17.5 lol just messing with you. Expo is your friend in MOD.

I got an advice from Paul Lemeux last year at the REEDY Race. He said your friend in racing Modified is "Drag break" Crank your drag break way up to the point it will slow down the car without locking and over heating the motor and turn down your initial break to the point it will slow down the car without completely loosing speed in corners. Guess what it works!!! Thanks Paul L.
You bet I turn down my Throttler highpoint for 17.5 as well j/k lol
Yes I agreed dragbrake turn up ....1+
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #255
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I have been racing at the REEDY race in OPEN TC MOD the last 3 years. But sadly I'm not making it this year I haven't had practice in TC. I have been hard in Off-road this past year.
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:03 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net