Like Tree24Likes

Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #181
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
But not Mod... not yet at least. Im a wuss
Yes, yes, you are.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #182
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been running a 7.5 in my TCXX at Nor-cal but just got a 5.5. Car handles really well I just need to get some more track time. I love the speed compared to off road.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #183
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does any one have any have any experience running mod touring with a lrp sxx comp spec v2 any thermal issues? It handled a lrp x12 6.5t fine this past race day but I have a lrp 5.0t x20 on the way and im a bit worried about burning up the sxx. It has the upgraded board from lrp.

Awesomatix USA/Speedzone USA
LRP/Futaba/Middle River Russian Mafia
Awesomatixusa.com/Speedzoneusa.com
95lscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #184
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95lscoupe View Post
Does any one have any have any experience running mod touring with a lrp sxx comp spec v2 any thermal issues? It handled a lrp x12 6.5t fine this past race day but I have a lrp 5.0t x20 on the way and im a bit worried about burning up the sxx. It has the upgraded board from lrp.
Comp or stock spec?
Not sure about the stock spec...
Make sure there us a fan on the comp spec and you'll be fine.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #185
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
It can handle the amps but a fan may be worthwhile.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #186
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the info it is the comp spec so no heat sink. Ill have to find a way to mount a fan.

Awesomatix USA/Speedzone USA
LRP/Futaba/Middle River Russian Mafia
Awesomatixusa.com/Speedzoneusa.com
95lscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #187
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Is this a big track with boost or something smaller? I'd be pretty conservative with the boost and no heat sink with a 5.0.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I'm going to be giving mod a try tomorrow. In 1/12 with a Sonic 4.0, no boost (Rs Pro) what kind of roll out should I shoot for and what kind of timing on the motor with blinky? I found a setup one of the associated guys had with the same motor, he was running 30 degrees and 35.29mm rollout. Is this fine without boost or should I be using something different?
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #189
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I'm going to be giving mod a try tomorrow. In 1/12 with a Sonic 4.0, no boost (Rs Pro) what kind of roll out should I shoot for and what kind of timing on the motor with blinky? I found a setup one of the associated guys had with the same motor, he was running 30 degrees and 35.29mm rollout. Is this fine without boost or should I be using something different?
If you look back a few pages, unless something came up I didn't see, you'll see reports of running blinky making the car harder to drive (more punch). So, possibly running a degree or two of boost or turbo (terms are vendor specific) would be beneficial.

With an RS Pro, i would highly recommend running a fan, and keeping the timing on the motor down a bit, that's the limit of what an RS pro can handle, IMO.

Not sure on gearing...

Last edited by erchn; 04-30-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sorry, didn't see this was in 1/12...
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #190
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
If you look back a few pages, unless something came up I didn't see, you'll see reports of running blinky making the car harder to drive (more punch). So, possibly running a degree or two of boost or turbo (terms are vendor specific) would be beneficial.
I just started my foray into mod, TC, 4.0, Jackson RC. Started with boost but, it was way too fast for me so, I put it back into blinky, tuned in some negative expo and turned my epa down to 80. After a few runs, I had the epa back up to 100 and was able to take a few clicks of expo out. I know that it was said on here that expo is too much of a crutch and won't help but, for me, its been working out ok. Not having to mess around with changing boost settings and allowed me more time to work on setup and to get used to the speed.

I'm going to see how the car feels this weekend and maybe I'll mess around with a little boost just to see but for now, its plenty fast, I'm faster than my own lap times in stock, and only 1 or 2 tenths slower than our fastest guys who are running stock (team drivers, national champions, local hero's)

I will say that running mod is lots of fun, I never thought I would like it as much as I do but, I'm hooked!!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
I just started my foray into mod, TC, 4.0, Jackson RC. Started with boost but, it was way too fast for me so, I put it back into blinky, tuned in some negative expo and turned my epa down to 80. After a few runs, I had the epa back up to 100 and was able to take a few clicks of expo out. I know that it was said on here that expo is too much of a crutch and won't help but, for me, its been working out ok. Not having to mess around with changing boost settings and allowed me more time to work on setup and to get used to the speed.

I'm going to see how the car feels this weekend and maybe I'll mess around with a little boost just to see but for now, its plenty fast, I'm faster than my own lap times in stock, and only 1 or 2 tenths slower than our fastest guys who are running stock (team drivers, national champions, local hero's)

I will say that running mod is lots of fun, I never thought I would like it as much as I do but, I'm hooked!!
Having seen videos etc of Jackson RC before, I can't help but feel you might have overdone it with a 4.0
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
At some point, most sedan enthusiasts will strap in a mod motor and try it out... and the usual result is that they are slower than they were with a 17.5 blinky setup. This is hugely discouraging and a recipe for racers to revert back to their comfort zone.
Very interesting observation. I am in that boat now, but my purpose of putting a 5.5 in my car is to learn skills that I believe will help in stock racing, primarily in throttle control and using that entire range between full throttle and full brake. I have yet to put a transponder in the car, but it feels slower and much less consistent. I also only have about 8 battery packs with the mod motor and still messing with setups (it is decently different from my 17.5 setup right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I am looking forward to seeing it tonight. I am not sure you will need a fan with 1s, but i'd temp it as you go.

I will have the WGT with me tonight as well.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #193
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I don't think motor temp will be the problem, I think it will be my Tekin's temp. The capacitor bank I have is supposed to combat temps, we will see!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #194
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For mod 12th with a 4.0 just put a 25/96 or 26/96 on the car and be done with it. Put a fan on the speedo, adjust boost according to speedo temps and pucker factor.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #195
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
....but my purpose of putting a 5.5 in my car is to learn skills that I believe will help in stock racing, primarily in throttle control and using that entire range between full throttle and full brake....
This is part of the reason I have entered Mod at the UK nationals this year, I want to try and push myself.
Good way of determining if your setups are any good as well.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote