R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #166
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I say a 3.5t motor with full boost from 40000rpm up !!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #167
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's what I'm planning for A700ex by the way.....lol... It will fly....lol...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #168
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First time with the 8T delta yesterday. Nightmare !
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #169
Tech Master

Gonna try 5.5T this labour day.... I'm already a nervous wreck LOL...

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #170
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
First time with the 8T delta yesterday. Nightmare !
Nightmare? Your car looked better as the day went on, just like me at Cotswold.

I just have to get used to being smoother with the throttle and getting my braking points right.

Having done one day of Mod last weekend I will be returning to the same track for the first UK national of the year this coming weekend.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I always hear that guys are scared to try or race mod, why? All last year I raced 200mm nitro touring car and is mod much different? Speeds are about the same, but electric motors always have power when the trigger is pulled as opposed to the motor spooling up and hitting like a truck
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I always hear that guys are scared to try or race mod, why? All last year I raced 200mm nitro touring car and is mod much different? Speeds are about the same, but electric motors always have power when the trigger is pulled as opposed to the motor spooling up and hitting like a truck
Parts wear out faster, crashes (typically) result in more broken parts, and the cars are significantly more difficult to drive. Shorting sweeper-off in mod can have rather painful ramifications.

It also seems like people will always prefer to be the big fish in a little pond, rather than throwing themselves into the ocean full of sharks. If someone is going to drop a significant amount of money to go to a big race, it oftentimes seems to mean they won't venture outside of their comfort zone (and will thus only race stock). It seems like there aren't too many club tracks where mod thrives, and people don't want to use big races as mod practice. Just my thoughts.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #173
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Nightmare? Your car looked better as the day went on, just like me at Cotswold.

I just have to get used to being smoother with the throttle and getting my braking points right.

Having done one day of Mod last weekend I will be returning to the same track for the first UK national of the year this coming weekend.

Skiddins
The power has a devilish way of finding any weakness in the setup..and boy did it find them. I can see this is going to be a long road

I don't think its all that difficult to be smoother with the throttle. But that might not be the whole story. Obviously you do need good throttle control but I'm beginning to suspect I had the wrong motor for the conditions on the day. Got a feeling that is the real key. Being able to choose the correct motor. To provide the right power character for the task in hand, allowing one to have an easy car to drive for the day with sufficient power but absolutely no more than is necessary to optimise the laptime.

I might try my new GM5.5 instead. Less bottom end, can gear taller as its a 5.5, to smooth it out, and use additional timing for the top end. Was looking on the GM thread and Hofer said Hara used a 5.5 at Heemsteede even with the huge straight. I reckon looking for driveability, taking the traction available into account, might be the thing.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Our track is a small tight indoor carpet track, and things can go very wrong very quickly with mod.

That being said, I put a 5.5 in my second car and am enjoying learning how to drive it. Learning curve is much steeper though.

And 17.5 blinky (which is what we run out here), nothing spools up and hits like a truck. Only have a couple folks who run nitro, and they don't do TC with us inside, only 12th scale.

Nothing against mod at all, but I already forsee a lot of broken parts just getting to where I can drive it consistently...that's still before trying to drive it fast.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #175
Tech Master

Quote:
I come from a gas on-road background, mainly 200mm... and it is nothing like Mod TC on 90% of the tracks here in America.

What it boils down to is track size. Most quality fuel on-road tracks are permanent setups that are designed for both 1/10th and 1/8th cars. Thus, the 200mm sedans have plenty of room to stretch their legs. And the lane width is fairly large, as well.

In the US, carpet racing is the most popular form of electric on-road. Around 80-90% of the big national-level races take place on carpet tracks. And almost all of these races feature a pretty standard size track... ~90-100 x 45-60'. That is not a lot of room for a Mod TC. Coupled with a narrow lane size and layouts which heavily penalize driving more than a few inches off the boards, and the result is a VERY challenging environment in which to pilot an electric sedan w/ modified power.

At some point, most sedan enthusiasts will strap in a mod motor and try it out... and the usual result is that they are slower than they were with a 17.5 blinky setup. This is hugely discouraging and a recipe for racers to revert back to their comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
It also seems like people will always prefer to be the big fish in a little pond, rather than throwing themselves into the ocean full of sharks. If someone is going to drop a significant amount of money to go to a big race, it oftentimes seems to mean they won't venture outside of their comfort zone (and will thus only race stock). It seems like there aren't too many club tracks where mod thrives, and people don't want to use big races as mod practice. Just my thoughts.
Well said, Mr. Two-thousandths.

We have also associated a very high level of prestige with Stock class wins at the big races here in America... There is a good reason for that, as the Stock classes often have a very deep talent pool, but it is yet another reason why Modified may not be as appealing to some.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #176
Tech Master

Thanks JamesL 71 I forgot how much smaller the tracks are since I just made the switch from nitro to cut my cost down a little ( rather have the xtra parts, motor,ESC even roller) than pay for tires true them down and chuck them after 1 qualifier..
That can be discouraging driving a car that's 5X faster and having slower lap times but nevertheless I'm going to get a 7.5-8.5T and give it a shot outside and obviously practice a hr or 2 after a race day to get use to it and graduate to a faster turn motor..
How would a mod setup work in a stock car? Will it work?
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #177
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Well said, Mr. Two-thousandths.
We have also associated a very high level of prestige with Stock class wins at the big races here in America... There is a good reason for that, as the Stock classes often have a very deep talent pool, but it is yet another reason why Modified may not be as appealing to some.
Very funny.

I am planning on running mod (and maybe 13.5) at Vegas. Care to join me?

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #178
Tech Master

Quote:
How would a mod setup work in a stock car? Will it work?
My setups, personally, tend to be fairly close to each other, but I don't think I can be considered any sort of SME or arbiter of mod vs stock setups. I believe Chicky once wrote something on rctech about how mod is the test of a good stock setup, although I can think of a number of people whose stock 12th setups might be rather difficult to drive in mod.

Go browse around on petitrc and see how the mod setups differ from the stock setups. At least with 12th, you can likely get away with stiffer springs and tube lube with a stock car than you can with a mod car.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #179
Tech Elite

Default Any help please...

Iíve already posted on the Tekin RS ESC Sensored Thread but thought Iíd give this a try too.

Looking to step up and run Mod next indoor season with an RS Pro so hoping for some starting setup help.

Touring Mod with 5.5 Turn motor
12th Scale with 4.0 Turn motor

Looking for a mild starting setup for a medium size ozite carpet track (80x36). Iíve checked the Setups from the Tekin Website and I donít see a setup with the motors Iím planning to run.

Iím an intermediate driver with about 5-6 years RC experience looking to make it a lot more challenging for myself as I have never run lower than a 10.5 Turn motor before in either car.

Looking for any help from anyone whoís used an RS Pro before to run Mod.

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #180
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Very funny.

I am planning on running mod (and maybe 13.5) at Vegas. Care to join me?
Possibly 13.5.... I ran it last year @ IIC and it was a blast on that layout.

But not Mod... not yet at least. Im a wuss
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote