R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
- If possible run a smaller spur gear to reduce wind resistance/drag.
I don't get this one.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've run open wheel pan cars (indycars) on a velodrome track. We would try to reduce drag any way we could. Having a large spinning object in the wind (other than the wheels) isn't good for reducing wind resistance.

Many F1 r/c bodies have a lot of bits/pieces sticking off of them that probably offer little to no benefit aero advantage on the track. You might keep the parts that cover the spur gear in this case

---------

Looking through some notes from 2006 when we were running 4200 or 4600 6-cell NIHM with 27 turns motors we ran around 19 laps on a 4 minute timed run. The Indy Velodrome had around 1000ft run line and we were running around 13 second laps. Bascially we were running 52+ mph or 84+ kph. The Indianapolis Major Taylor Velodrome is officially listed as having a distance of 333.34 meters, but I don't know on what part of the track they measured.

Since we were running for speed, we obviously weren't geared for distance. At that speed we probably could run about 21-22 laps before the battery dumped. In other words, we could go a little over 4 miles on 1 battery.

We also ran Nastruck bodies with 6-cell nihm & 27-turn motors. The Nastrucks usually averaged around 55mph and could turn more laps before dumping. This was just from the better aero from the bodies.

I realize the record attempt will be at much slower speeds, but F1/Indycar bodies don't really cut through the air as well as a TC or oval body. Every little bit of drag reduced could result in a longer distance.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

hmmm. i just moved within spitting distance of a typical 400m paved oval running track and you have me almost wanting to give it a try myself lol...

if you didnt already have sponsors, id almost suggest a slow 370 brushless and under 30 amp continuous esc.
I couldnt imagine such a system drawing more than 5 amps continuous once you reach speed and those cars can run 6 minutes np with under 2000mah.

you have your setup already. not trying to knock it at all. though maybe ill slap some hard ass tires and a 10000mah gens ace in one of my tcs and hit the track for a little competition
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes big thumbs up
GOOD LUCK
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
Tech Addict

And due to popular demand we'll also be attempting a world record where any F1 racer can join in. Details here.

We publish RC F1 news and articles regularly. To see them in your Facebook news feed Like us on Facebook here - www.facebook.com/rcformula1
RCformula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

26km should be achievable. I've competed in an 3 hour VTA enduro before with a 21.5 motor and 5300mah 2S battery each pack lasted about 40 minutes. We were circulating at around 22-23 second pace, track length was about 180mt. so that would calculate to approximately 18km.
And my VTA mustang also had an led light kit running for the event.

Good luck with it, hope you smash the record.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and support!

BT Surveys have completed their survey of the TFTR race track. We'll be using the outside oval which is 102.365m if you hug the curbs all the way round. Obviously I won't be keeping it that tight as it will be too easy to make an error with more than an hour of driving to do. But Guinness World Records require the record to be based on the minimum distance possible rather than what is actually traveled.

So the world record will hopefully be equaled after 232 laps. Everything after that is good news

Thanks again to BT Surveys who gave freely of their time and expertise to support this world record attempt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf track survey.pdf (59.9 KB, 121 views)

We publish RC F1 news and articles regularly. To see them in your Facebook news feed Like us on Facebook here - www.facebook.com/rcformula1

Last edited by RCformula1; 04-05-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Here's a heap of photos of the car showing how we fitted the MaxAmps 10,900mah battery.

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...rd-attempt-car

Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Record Attempt Postponed due to Weather

Unfortunately tomorrow's weather forecast is for intermittent rain all day.

Both World Record Attempts, and Round 1 of the Vic Cup Series, are postponed. Tentatively to next Sunday 21 April but this depends on getting some ducks in a row and I will confirm on this thread tomorrow.

I'm sure you're all as disappointed as I am but unfortunately we can't control the weather

I took the decision to postpone now so that everyone can be contacted and those who are travelling don't have a wasted journey.

Will update tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Record attempt will now take place this coming weekend on either Sat 20 or Sun 21 April. Timing to be confirmed - stay tuned. Fingers crossed on the weather

Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Record Attempt will be this Sat 20 April at 10am at TFTR. Come down and support us if you're in Melbourne!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a great record attempt very keen to come down and watch.
Will there be a meet going on after it or a small few rounds of f1?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ill be there @ templestowe tomorrow!!
pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleD123 View Post
This is a great record attempt very keen to come down and watch.
Will there be a meet going on after it or a small few rounds of f1?
Great, thanks.

No just the world record attempt. Of course the track will be open to anyone for practice after the world record attempt.

There'll be a normal TFTR meeting next weekend (Sun 28 April) with F1 and all VORTEC classes.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
ill be there @ templestowe tomorrow!!
Great, thanks!