R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default ESC with no on/off switch

I recently (today) went out and bought the RTR HPI Sprint 2 Flux and when I got it home I had to do a small mod so the battery case would let me hook in my Hobby People battery. That's all fine and dandy, no issues there.

One thing I noticed though is the ESC doesn't have an on/off switch to it. So the first time I had plugged in the battery The car had instantly been on. Which, to say the least, suprised me.

The one thing that is bugging me is since the battery has a charge to it, and the car is, I guess, always considered on..It will spark between the male and female Deans connector when I first put them together..which obviously since I've always had an on/off switch, has never happened to me before.

What I ended up doing to comfort myself is taking one of the 3 bullet connectors going into the ESC out of the ESC before I plug the battery Deans into the ESC Deans. The ESC still turns on but it doesn't spark like how it did the first time I had connected it. Then I plug the last ESC wire back in and I'm good to go.

My question is... is this harming it in anyway? Am I supposed to hook up the car in a different manner? any help would be appreciated, as I've never dealt with an ESC that didn't have an on/off switch.

Thanks in advance.
beradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

it be awesome to figure that out. I recently got one of these too and i was trying to configure it for a lipo battery and change some of the braking characteristics. All of which, according to the manual with it, require an esc on/off switch with some type of mode button. Before anyone says anything though i am new to the rc world so my knowledge of the proper names and all is still in the baby phase....too used to working on the real thing.
fcforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lot of the racers cut the switches off their speedos to free up valuable real estate. In doing so, there will be a small arc when connecting the battery. The arcing is of no concern.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Tech Adept

If you really want an on/off switch, you can buy one and put it in the receiver.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I run a Black Diamond ESC which by default doesn't come with a switch. I have been running them for 3years.
I also get the spark when I connect it up but it doesn't matter, it's usually the power rushing in a filling up the capacitor.

When you get a switch on an ESC it is normally just turning the controller section (that receives it's signal from the receiver) of the ESC off, not the main power.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
A lot of the racers cut the switches off their speedos to free up valuable real estate. In doing so, there will be a small arc when connecting the battery. The arcing is of no concern.
I dont know the OP's ESC personally, but yes, some people cut the on off switch off and you might see a small pair of wires just outside of the esc joined together if you got the ESC used, this would usually be where the previous owner has bypassed the switch.

Just a guess though, hope it helps somewhat

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote