R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 2 wheel 4 wheel for high speed oval track your thoughts

I was trying to tell a friend that wants to save money and buy a short wheel base 2 wheel car for high speed at a oval track that he is better off savinghis money and get a 4 wheel but he said he doesn't want the drag from front end then he brings up the guy with the fast record of a 2 wheel f1 Honda rc so I told him that that guys car has a long wheel base which helps him to do high speeds and that the f1 is fast on straights do to the long wheel base but would not be good on the high speed oval and I also gave him the example of my xo-1 also made for high speed straight runs due to the 400 and some odd mm wheel base I told him the short wheel base of a 4 wheel car will be much better on the high speed oval. He will be watching this thrend so please post your thoughts thankyou
Rcchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I've read over your post a few times and I think you are talking about the difference between 2wd and 4wd cars, 2wd pan car (specifically 4wd sedan and F1).

You didn't mention what surface you are running on and what tires you are running (foam or rubber). This would factor heavily into a decision.

There is alot more to speed but IMHO a 4wd chassis is easier to setup and drive fast. The "drag" you are talking about is a bit flawed. Gearing, motor, and driver have alot more to do with it.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
I've read over your post a few times and I think you are talking about the difference between 2wd and 4wd cars, 2wd pan car (specifically 4wd sedan and F1).

You didn't mention what surface you are running on and what tires you are running (foam or rubber). This would factor heavily into a decision.

There is alot more to speed but IMHO a 4wd chassis is easier to setup and drive fast. The "drag" you are talking about is a bit flawed. Gearing, motor, and driver have alot more to do with it.
I want to first start out by saying thankyou for the response and sorry I didn't give more detail but it is on a hard surface with slick rubber although the f1 honda that he was refuring to may have had foam also I didn't understand what you meant by flawed??
Rcchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I have never tried an oval before, but if your not about to turn a lot I would say a long wheel base is better for stability.
If there are not any other cars to bump into you, I would go for 2wd. Less mass, less friction.
But if there are others on the track, I would choose 4wd for handling.

Only my thoughts about the subject.