R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
No big difference between the vulcan and ballistic high rpm motors. Just bigger cooling vents and 12.5mm rotor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post

I agree that an Outlaw spec motor is stupid. What if its too easy to change stators and the legal Novak motor is easily made into a cheater motor? It's unbelievable what these motor companies are doing to the market. It's ridiculous.
The "outlaw" stators are easily identified by their gray plastic versus the traditional yellow. So tracks and RD's can easily spot if someone is running the "outlaw" version.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
No big difference between the vulcan and ballistic high rpm motors. Just bigger cooling vents and 12.5mm rotor....
I don't think so. There's a reason they call it "Outlaw," because it doesn't meet the proper spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
The "outlaw" stators are easily identified by their gray plastic versus the traditional yellow. So tracks and RD's can easily spot if someone is running the "outlaw" version.
If you're talking about the plastic on top of the stator, that's no guarantee of anything. A number of guys at our track can change those in minutes without any visible signs. It's what they WERE doing until we got wise to it. The different colored plastic cap on the stator means nothing. They need to use different color plastic insulators under the windings so you have to unwind the motor to change them. I used to be a fan of Novak motors among others, but if they start screwing with the spec class by confusing racers and making it harder to tech their motors, we might just ban them from our track.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Please explain how one "changes their method of measuring." The D3.5 IS illegal and always has been. I'm also curious why anyone believes anything that comes out of Trinity's mouth (or mouthpiece). Only in RC does anyone believe that a higher standard of precision is a bad thing. Well, only some people believe it, but that's another story.

I agree that an Outlaw spec motor is stupid. What if its too easy to change stators and the legal Novak motor is easily made into a cheater motor? It's unbelievable what these motor companies are doing to the market. It's ridiculous.
I don't know how they measured before. Apparently it was not a very accurate measurement, but whatever they did, Trinity made their motor to pass that test. I'm not saying the wire isn't over the spec, just that it was within the tolerance of the test they did around a year ago. Also, the wording of the rule is not as crystal clear as it should be. It should have one maximum measurement and state the method and location where it will be measured.

I have two d3.5 motors. Since they were outlawed, I have not used them. I've been using still legal ReVtechs, even though every race I've attended has allowed D3.5s. I'm not any slower than I was with the D3.5s. I know some guys with top 5% D3.5 motors. Those are faster. The standard off the shelf ones are quick, but not noticeably faster. I don't want to hear any crap about running "cheater motors" and I think my ReVtechs are faster than the D3.5s that I have anyway.

I don't think a bunch of companies making fat wire stators blatantly out of spec is good. Where is the line drawn? Maybe if clubs go this route of "outlaw spec", they will eventually see how silly it is and just make it an open mod class. I'm in favor of more people racing mod. ROAR should allow 17.5 racers to race Mod. Most people are used to racing 17.5 at home and would likely want to race it at a big event, but if they want to race mod, they have to give up 17.5 which is often the biggest class. It's a rule that's just not conducive to getting people to race mod. Got off topic, sorry.

Anyway, this "outlaw spec" idea is stupid. Unless it's a way to bring back 17.5 boosted. I'm in favor of that!

Last edited by locked; 03-16-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typos
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Suspended

The thread is not titled correctly, but Novak specified ” VULCAN SPEC” and ”VULCAN OUTLAW” motors... Get both and you'll be set....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
If you're talking about the plastic on top of the stator, that's no guarantee of anything. A number of guys at our track can change those in minutes without any visible signs. It's what they WERE doing until we got wise to it. The different colored plastic cap on the stator means nothing. They need to use different color plastic insulators under the windings so you have to unwind the motor to change them. I used to be a fan of Novak motors among others, but if they start screwing with the spec class by confusing racers and making it harder to tech their motors, we might just ban them from our track.
Don't blame the motor for what your racers do to them. If they'll go to that extent to cheat, then you should pretty much ban all motors, as its just as easy or even easier to just change the outer can on the stators of the other motors as well. If anything you should be tossing the racers that choose to do the cheating, I actually feel sorry for you if you have to put up with crap like that.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
If you're talking about the plastic on top of the stator, that's no guarantee of anything. A number of guys at our track can change those in minutes without any visible signs. It's what they WERE doing until we got wise to it. The different colored plastic cap on the stator means nothing. They need to use different color plastic insulators under the windings so you have to unwind the motor to change them.

Its not novaks fault if guys at your track are down right cheaters. You should ban the racer and not novaks motors. Anyone can cheat in a motor class, de-solder the wire, and remove a turn. Its just a shame that some people would stoop to that level. Don't they have any self respect?

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

someone needs to take some of the complexity out of this sport.
if they can sell that motor for much cheaper as an outlaw motor to get people into the sport, whatever. go nuts.
for our club racing, no one cares what your running as long as it says 17.5 on the can. for bigger races, we suggest roar approved equipment but we dont specifically check for it in our tech process. most people will adhere to the rules without being prodded, and those who dont, probably werent winning anything to begin with.

though. i dont see the point of adding another messy class to compliment an already messy class lol. if its an outlaw motor, why bother with outlaw spec?

Ill stick to my reedy's and tekins. If i wanted something not roar legal, It would probably be for a rally or some play car that I would want a little more than 17.5 for anyway.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
Suspended

Most clubs are already running outlaw stock by allowing d3.5 motors to run with everybody else ! Now the d3.5 owners won't have an advantage on the Vulcan Outlaw , and will probably start crying....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #39
Suspended

If only Novak had a zapping program to get their rotor over 1500 gauss .....