Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
the rear axle crescents:

for pit rubber tires do they go at the top or the bottom?
That depends on what ride height you want. Try different ones in the two orientations until you reach your desired height. I believe mine are "upside down" to get 4.5mm.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
the rear axle crescents:

for pit rubber tires do they go at the top or the bottom?
Bottom for rubber tires, top for foams.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looking to get 4mm f/r ride height with pit rubber tires.
Before I spend a few hrs. searching the thread...can someone please share their front and rear spacer settings? Most important is the front kingpin/shims under the lower arms.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Looking to get 4mm f/r ride height with pit rubber tires.
Before I spend a few hrs. searching the thread...can someone please share their front and rear spacer settings? Most important is the front kingpin/shims under the lower arms.
Thanks in advance for the help.
i think we want this--

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12804462-post825.html

this sounds important too--

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12971489-post931.html
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for a SP-1 I have mine for sale.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...n-sp-1-f1.html
Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I don't remount my servo...it is glued to the chassis with shoe goo and I just use some thin double stick tape on the sides for support. I just peel the mounts off and move them up or down with the plate. To me it is much easier than fussing with the bell crank height every time I want to change ride height. How often do we change ride height anyway? Once we get it set we pretty much don't touch it again unless we switch brands of tire.

Everything moves together when you move the plate with the servo mounts so you don't have to change a thing on the upper arms. If you change the ride height using the arms you then would need to re-shim the upper arms as well since only the front upper arm mount moves with the arms.

For me moving the plate with servo mounts is a much more logical system since the whole suspension moves together. What SP should have done was tie the rear upper arm mount to the plate instead of the servo mount...then ride height adjustments would be very straight forward.
Just got done building a roller. With the stock settings the front sits like a monster truck with rubber tires.
Trying to get the front under 4mm ride height is going to take a bunch of shims.I was worried about using more than 4mm under the arms or 3mm under the knuckles...as I am not sure what it does to the upper arm geometry. Shimming the plate seems like the most logical approach. EVERYTHING. .gets moved but the servo.
I assume you shim the backside of the servo holder the same amount you shim the plate?

Also.. will I run into any issues with the servo horn being " too low" now that everything else is that high off the chassis?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Yes I shimmed all 6 screw locations under the plate and the back of the servo mounts. I moved the ball stud in the servo horn up to the top hole to compensate. The trickiest part is the screws under the bell cranks...you've got to find just the right length so they don't hit the bell cranks. Pit Shimizu tires are easier to get the ride height down...Pardus tires are much taller. So depending on what tires your running will affect how much shims you use.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yes I shimmed all 6 screw locations under the plate and the back of the servo mounts. I moved the ball stud in the servo horn up to the top hole to compensate. The trickiest part is the screws under the bell cranks...you've got to find just the right length so they don't hit the bell cranks. Pit Shimizu tires are easier to get the ride height down...Pardus tires are much taller. So depending on what tires your running will affect how much shims you use.
Ok great.. I assumed I was going to need the upper hole on the servo horn. I will be running pit tires.Will keep an eye out for the bell crank snafu. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Alright guys, I need spur gear advice once again. I've been using Xenon VSS spur gears but I have two problems

1. They're too tight when inserted over the axle, so I've been having to sand the inside to make them smooth. This is a less-than-perfect process.

2. Superior Hobbies is basically out of stock on the range I've been using, I can't find any other good supplier

So, in 64p, what gears are you all using. I'm sad to say that the new Exotek spurs don't fit the SP-1 axle properly, there is a TON of slop.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I put a xray pancar spur on mine. Fit perfect.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

When are replacement front uprights coming???? Of any type......
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I am wondering that also. I broke one today and am supposed to go to a race out of town next weekend. Can they be replaced by another brand even?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

thanks to JD for helping finish my build, and Dan Garber of Speedwerkes for helping me get a lot of the parts/body/tires. after only a small build failure and stripping the too small ball stud on the servo rack this car went on to TQ (+ fail -- traffic) against a big batch of F1 racers all working towards TCS @ Horsham RC yesterday.

car drives really nice. just not sure if i'm going to keep the steering rack, or go to a more traditional servo saver design.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
thanks to JD for helping finish my build, and Dan Garber of Speedwerkes for helping me get a lot of the parts/body/tires. after only a small build failure and stripping the too small ball stud on the servo rack this car went on to TQ (+ fail -- traffic) against a big batch of F1 racers all working towards TCS @ Horsham RC yesterday.

car drives really nice. just not sure if i'm going to keep the steering rack, or go to a more traditional servo saver design.
Do you mind posting your setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.