R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/712987-speed-passion-f1-car-sp1.html)

metalnut 10-20-2013 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by simple (Post 12649956)
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, in the second paragraph I was referring to the Associated links, not the springs.

Oh, sorry, I misread what you wrote. Yeah, I totally understand, I don't expect any links to withstand that kind of hit. I was looking at the Tamiya parts tree for the football, as I'm looking for something a little tougher than the SP unit. Ideally the SP carbon reinforced parts will come out soon, but for now I just need to order something to fix my car for the next race day.

robk 10-20-2013 08:41 PM


Originally Posted by metalnut (Post 12647539)
I had some really bad luck in the main tonight. I got pushed into the pipe during the second lap by a sporadic driver and must have cracked something, as the car started spinning out when trying to steer right. I pulled it, looked it over and didn't see anything wrong, so I tried to drive it again. That was a dumb move, as the car spun out on the straight and then got t-boned really hard. I broke both side links and the football :(

I'd like to verify, is this the Tamiya parts tree I need to use their football and side links? http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6023

The links that shattered tonight were the Associated ones, so I'd like to give Tamiya a try.

Tamiya links are direct fit, but the football doesn't work. SpeedPassion is getting their new parts in now, so I think the hard plastic should be available soon.


Originally Posted by metalnut (Post 12647556)
Dammit. In addition to the damage I listed above, it looks like I also bent one of my side springs. Does anyone have the rates of the various springs that come with this kit? I'll have to order some Tamiya (or CRC?) side springs, but I don't know what the kit rates are for the front and side springs. Any ideas?

CRC Red is close to the kit side spring.

beamcat 10-20-2013 09:51 PM


Originally Posted by metalnut (Post 12647539)
I had some really bad luck in the main tonight. I got pushed into the pipe during the second lap by a sporadic driver and must have cracked something, as the car started spinning out when trying to steer right. I pulled it, looked it over and didn't see anything wrong, so I tried to drive it again. That was a dumb move, as the car spun out on the straight and then got t-boned really hard. I broke both side links and the football :(

I'd like to verify, is this the Tamiya parts tree I need to use their football and side links? http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6023

The links that shattered tonight were the Associated ones, so I'd like to give Tamiya a try.

Yes, the tamiya side link will fit directly with the associated ball. But for the football both tamiya, associated or even CRC or vbc won't fit....... Need to buy the speedpassion one......

metalnut 10-21-2013 12:20 AM


Originally Posted by robk (Post 12650086)
Tamiya links are direct fit, but the football doesn't work. SpeedPassion is getting their new parts in now, so I think the hard plastic should be available soon.

CRC Red is close to the kit side spring.


Originally Posted by beamcat (Post 12650228)
Yes, the tamiya side link will fit directly with the associated ball. But for the football both tamiya, associated or even CRC or vbc won't fit....... Need to buy the speedpassion one......

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

TQRC is out of stock on CRC side springs... is the Tamiya kit around the same rate range? http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=3306

I'm running rubber tires on a CRC carpet track, 21.5 motors.

Csaari77 10-22-2013 08:13 AM

I've been looking at this car for a little bit, and I really like the features that are provided in the kit. How tough is the plastic on this car? I've always run F104s and they have proven to take a beating, is this car on par with the Tamiya durability wise? What are some of the weak points out of the box that will need to be upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

RS_ZACH 10-22-2013 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by Csaari77 (Post 12655003)
I've been looking at this car for a little bit, and I really like the features that are provided in the kit. How tough is the plastic on this car? I've always run F104s and they have proven to take a beating, is this car on par with the Tamiya durability wise? What are some of the weak points out of the box that will need to be upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

If you go back further in this thread you will find out some of the weakness. But heres a recap. My biggest gripe about the sp1. Is the side links, they are very flimsy. You can replace them with Associated side links but you have to use the associated pivot balls. The football is also another weak point, but you cannot switch this part to Tamiya or Associated because their too big or small. Speed Passion is releasing carbon reinforced plastics. Or better quality plastics to compensate. Another gripe about it. Is the car is designed out the box to run in the 200mm foam tire category. If you dont want to run that. Then stock up on various shim sizes. Youll need them. You can switch over your f104 front end to this car very easily. For the price it is a good car. I sometimes wish I still had one.

robk 10-22-2013 02:08 PM


Originally Posted by Csaari77 (Post 12655003)
I've been looking at this car for a little bit, and I really like the features that are provided in the kit. How tough is the plastic on this car? I've always run F104s and they have proven to take a beating, is this car on par with the Tamiya durability wise? What are some of the weak points out of the box that will need to be upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

Kit plastic is pretty soft. I put Tamiya carbon side links on, which snap right on direct replacement. Associated links have a different size ball. SpeedPassion has the only football that works, but the new plastic is coming shortly. I have yet to break the stock plastic front end but I don't know what other people have experienced. They are also coming out with delrin lower pivot balls for the front end, which will help a lot. The stock ones are not very good.

That being said, the only thing I replaced right away was the side links. This is honestly the best link car I have driven out of the box, and I was not expecting that. I haven't run everything but I was surprised how much I liked this car right away.

The things you would really want to look at for options are :

Lower pivot ball for front end - this will really be a must have.

Aluminum front suspension mount - this is not a must have but it's easier to make the car narrow (190mm) for pit tires without having to drill on the stock piece.

Hard plastic - mostly for the side links and football. I really don't have a problem with the front end at all, and I have been racing on carpet with hard barriers.

InspGadgt 10-22-2013 02:36 PM

Originally I had a problem with a steering knuckle which the pillow ball pulled right through. I bought a whole bunch of spares because I thought this was going to be a problem part but haven't broken another one since. So maybe 1 set of the knuckles would be good to have as a spare.

My other complaint is the rod ends...they fit too loose and the one on the bell crank kept popping off. For now I've replaced them with standard AE ones and used cotton in the cup to take up the slack and they seem to be holding better. Still looking for one that fits more properly though.

My side links I've bent up a bit but I have yet to break them or the football...knock on wood :)

Sorcerer001 10-23-2013 11:29 AM

I literally have this car sitting in my shopping cart, ready to submit my order... But now I'm reading that modification is required to run rubber tires? Do I need optional parts? Trying to make sure I have everything in the box so the car will be ready to race ASAP. Does the car come with front and rear wings? And finally - I've got some Pardus premounts in my cart - I assume the F103/F104 wheels work?

metalnut 10-23-2013 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 (Post 12658990)
I literally have this car sitting in my shopping cart, ready to submit my order... But now I'm reading that modification is required to run rubber tires? Do I need optional parts? Trying to make sure I have everything in the box so the car will be ready to race ASAP. Does the car come with front and rear wings? And finally - I've got some Pardus premounts in my cart - I assume the F103/F104 wheels work?

* No "modifications" are necessary to run rubber tires if your club doesn't have super strict maximum width rules. With Pit tires, the 190mm setup is a few millimeters wider than 190, which is where some people modified things. If that's not an issue, the only thing you'll have to do is mess around with spacers to get the proper ride height. I'm running Pit rubber tires with no problems and no modifications (other than ride height)

* The car does NOT come with any wings, nor with a body, you have to get those separate. F104 bodies and wings are a direct fit.

* Yes, F104 wheels are a direct fit too

Buy the car, you won't be sorry! But, do yourself a favor and buy the AE balls and links right away, don't even bother with the stock ones.
Balls: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=2020
Links: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=2683

Difuser 10-23-2013 03:23 PM

my apologies on the football comment. I could have sworn we put one in Korey's car early on.

Sorcerer001 10-23-2013 03:25 PM


Originally Posted by metalnut (Post 12659290)
* No "modifications" are necessary to run rubber tires if your club doesn't have super strict maximum width rules. With Pit tires, the 190mm setup is a few millimeters wider than 190, which is where some people modified things. If that's not an issue, the only thing you'll have to do is mess around with spacers to get the proper ride height. I'm running Pit rubber tires with no problems and no modifications (other than ride height)

* The car does NOT come with any wings, nor with a body, you have to get those separate. F104 bodies and wings are a direct fit.

* Yes, F104 wheels are a direct fit too

Buy the car, you won't be sorry! But, do yourself a favor and buy the AE balls and links right away, don't even bother with the stock ones.
Balls: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=2020
Links: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=2683

Thanks for the advice! My local track (Timezone) does follow widely recognized rules when holding larger races, so I'll have to figure out how to narrow it down. Does the car come with spacers to lower chassis height?

robk 10-23-2013 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 (Post 12658990)
I literally have this car sitting in my shopping cart, ready to submit my order... But now I'm reading that modification is required to run rubber tires? Do I need optional parts? Trying to make sure I have everything in the box so the car will be ready to race ASAP. Does the car come with front and rear wings? And finally - I've got some Pardus premounts in my cart - I assume the F103/F104 wheels work?

You shouldn't have to do any modifying for Pardus tires. My car IS modified to be 190mm for Pit tires, and it is like 180 or 182mm with Pardus.

Sorcerer001 10-23-2013 03:39 PM

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the offset - didn't realize the Pardus were narrower. Thanks again for the advice. Just put my order in at TQ - The car, F104 body set, balls (for the car), links, and Pardus tires. I'd heard these tires work pretty well on carpet - they're the IIC spec tire. Is this true? I was running grooved Pits (softs, I think) on my FGX, and it had tons of traction - maybe too much for my driving style.

metalnut 10-24-2013 12:45 AM


Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 (Post 12659602)
Thanks for the advice! My local track (Timezone) does follow widely recognized rules when holding larger races, so I'll have to figure out how to narrow it down. Does the car come with spacers to lower chassis height?

Yes, you get plenty of 1mm and 2mm shims to lower the car for rubber tires. When I was shimming mine, though, I didn't follow Solara's path and shimmed a little differently. If you want I can try to take a picture of what I did.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:29 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.