R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2005, 07:20 AM   #106
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to TBone77 Send a message via Yahoo to TBone77
Default Heatsink?

First off, just wanted to say that I can't wait for the Sphere/NEO products.

So am I reading correctly that the Sphere will have a heatsink? The pics I've seen don't show a heatsink, so I'm a little confused by a few things I've read in this thread. I want to put it in a B4, but don't want to have to cut a clearance hole in the body for it.
TBone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXJJG0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXJJG2
Backordered and waiting....
Stephen <><
Why is everyone telling me that I should get the new Novak instead?????Is there a direct reason...I.E. better Fets better BEC...bla bla bla...or just Grapes that are sour?
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Techie-1
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that the LRP sphere is now in stock in a couple of LHS here in the UK @ 159 uk pounds, although still no sign of the Reedy Neo One - the LRP Vector is listing at 79.95 uk pounds.

The Neo is for US only and Vector is for everwhere else.
Just form what I've heard.
Hope this helps
Stephen <><
Oh yea same motor different label...Don't ask why
Old 05-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #109
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito
Hi again everyone, haven't checked this thread for quite a bit. Luckily I'm on vacation this week...

We currently try to fulfill all backorders asap, Sphere is in full production and we have shipments leaving LRP every week. But of course it's going to take several weeks until everyone receives their orders.
Motor is in full production as well, first batch of production Reedy Neo1's will be available at the Reedy-Race and backorders will be fulfilled right afterwards. Unfortunately the same as with the Sphere, it is going to take a while until everyone will get their motor shipments. But only Associated guys can/should really answer the questions related to their motor anyway.

That's very good to know burito! It's been a long weekend so any further updates would be great!

I just hope that after ALL this time of waiting.... that the Sphere/Neo-One/Vector are full-proof and won't require any of us buyers sending it back in, etc. After such a long delay in releasing it... I would think everything has been ironed out. It happened to a bunch of the very first batch of Novak Brushless Motors two years ago (which they quickly fixed and given buyers AMAZING Customer Service when needed) and it also happened with the new Spektrum system recently.

TBone77 - Yup.... from what has been shown and mentioned by burito himself... for demands of Touring Cars and 4WD Off-Road the aluminum heatsink fins will be needed. I guess for your B4 you may get away without it.... just be sure not be over-geared! Hope your quite a good driver too... running a 9-Turn Motor on a B4 might be a bit of overkill?!?

Mr.Shookie - From what was said by some at the ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals... the NEW Novak Brushless Motor is about an 8-Turn (at least that was what the prototype was said to be). Can't say wether it really was or wasn't. Remember the Novak SS5800 was claimed to be a 10-Turn but in reality it's a 12-Turn Brushless Motor....
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #110
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

For your information: my LHS told me he had the LRP Sphere nd Neo One (or Vector) in stock at the distributor's centre. I'm hoping to get it tommorrow-night (Tuesday 24th of May) so I can race with it this sunday! I will place it in my B4 and I will tell my experiences with the speedo asap.

It seems like the Sphere finally arrived after a long period of waiting. I sold my two months old Novak to my dad.

Greetz,
Michael

PS: I live in Holland
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Somerwil - Good to hear! Share your thoughts and comments to all off us once you have run a few battery packs through your new SPHERE & Neo-One/Vector Brushless System! It will be nice to hear opinions on it from regular racers. I can't wait to get my hands on one and it too will go into an off-Road kit! Have fun with the new Power-Plant in your B4 and be sure to give us a complete review! Best of Luck!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:31 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice

I will let you all know what my experiences are with the brushless LRP!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Somerwil, would you also compare with other brushed system if Sphere+NEO1(or Vector) is more or less sensitive with battery quality? Thanks..
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #114
Tech Apprentice

ttso,

comparing the Sphere with my Novak system is one of the reasons why I bought the system. I think it's rather difficult to compare performance between your own car and somebody else's. We, at our local track, have three Novak brushless systems now and will have two LRP systems in the very near future.

BTW: the ESC and motor is to come this week. My LHS did not have it yesterday already, but we're getting very, very close now! I really hop he does have the speedo saturday!

Gr,
Mike
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #115
Tech Adept

Yes... for those that will have them in-hand soon... it would be great to hear some early thoughts and observations on how the LRP Brsuhless System compares to that NOVAK's current Brsuhless System! We already know it will be faster & more powerful than the SS5800... but is it smooth? Does it have a drag-breaking if one wants it? How hot does the ESC get? Does it have thermal shutdown protection like Novak's? Again... I'm sure we would all appreciate any comments, comparisons, etc. from those that are fortunate to score them early!

Thanks!
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:06 AM   #116
Tech Fanatic

I'm quite sure I will get LRP Sphere ESC even with SS5800 motor it will only get a bit faster than SS ESC + SS5800 motor. BL motor, however, will need to wait and see if Reedy NEO1 is better, or LRP Vector is better.

The battery quality question is because some ESC will show great performance different with nice matched battery, some doesn't show such great performance different. My guess it's because the PCB and FET design make different on energy convertion efficiency. For example, SS ESC, which show virtually no different between non-matched battery and matched battery (slow all the time anyway, very bad efficiency). IMO, the greater performance different between the same set of matched and non-matched battery, the better ESC is (less lost, better efficiency, bigger performance different under the same power source)
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM-AE-4-EVER
Yes... for those that will have them in-hand soon... it would be great to hear some early thoughts and observations on how the LRP Brsuhless System compares to that NOVAK's current Brsuhless System! We already know it will be faster & more powerful than the SS5800... but is it smooth? Does it have a drag-breaking if one wants it? How hot does the ESC get? Does it have thermal shutdown protection like Novak's? Again... I'm sure we would all appreciate any comments, comparisons, etc. from those that are fortunate to score them early!

Thanks!
While drag break has been an issue it is more of an ESC than a brushless cause we all know that brushless have no drag break.
After speaking with the LRP guys @ RCX this last sunday they said the sphere will have several break "or the feel of break" setups so you should be able to dial in some drag break.
After seeing one run at a local track....yes it has drag break...I pre ordered it because of what I saw at at that track.
Lets just say it is fast and the Neo looks like a 9T area of speed. SO all you Mod guys have a bit more rip. I am putting this in my B4 as I only race stock and 19T in TC so until my skills can come up a notch this brushless is for off road baby. Less dirt in my motor...gotta love it....
Stephen <><
Old 05-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #118
Tech Adept

@burito

does this speedo adjust itself automatically to the transmitter?

Im wondering if it is possible to restrict the power through transmitter settings, cause 9t is too fast for most offroad applications.or does the speedo adjust accordingly?
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #119
Tech Elite

If you want to limit power, do it through your radio. Just lower the EPA on your throttle setting.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #120
Tech Apprentice

Perhaps a stupid question, but what is EPA? I'm racing for quiet some time now, but never heard of EPA...