R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #751
Tech Adept

I've run my sphere comp with motors as low as 5.5 turns (BL) in relatively warm weather without the hot weather kit. I've done the same for indoors. No problems at all.

I've used the hot weather kit for lower turn BL motors, but I haven't tried it without, so I can't say that I needed it or that it would work without it. I have not used my sphere comp with brushed motors lower than 19T.
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #752
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Stealth - I added an Evercool 30mm fan (p/n EC3010M05CA, Google it, they sell for $4.99) to my standard LRP heatsink. This is way better that the cooler kit as it moves more air and the standard heatsink has more radiative surface.

In FL, during summer, with a 4 star we can shut down in 4 min like clock work with the standard cooling kit. With my setup we can finish the race most of the time.

Under the same conditions with the new IB4200WC cells Novak system thermal at about 3 min and Brushed motors either shift or throw winds and lock up.

This is for the fast guys. The slower guys dont have as many problems becuase they are not working the systems as hard.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #753
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH
I'm trying to help a friend out with his new LRP Sphere Competition ESC...

As some of you may know it's been a while since I used a Sphere because of the reliability issues I experienced with it months ago and posted on this thread..... On the original Sphere... I had to use the Cap that came with the LRP Cooling Set... something which LRP recommended on their User Guide but didn't include with the Sphere nor did was it readily available for sale (at least here in the States). Anyway... my question to those using the newer (and hopefully improved) Sphere Competition is... does that too need the Cooling Set (in particular the [COLOR=blue]Cap[COLOR]) to work properly?! Just wondering?!

Wild_Cherry.... do you have an answer to this since Burito seems to have stopped posting on this thread?!

Thanks to anyone who could share some tips, recommendations, and be of help!
Stealth

For use in off-road I recommend using heat sink to be on the safe side , but it is not required.
I know a few team driver`s in off-road that do not use the heat sink...

If your using the competition in a sedan, recommend the heat sink & fan..
Conditions in a sedan demand their use...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-31-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #754
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AdrianM, How did you mount the fan to the esc? By chance do you have a pic?? thanks
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #755
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

sepirts, AdrianM, Wild Cherry - Many thanks for your comments guys. I definitely would always recommend using the fan and heatsink for whatever conditions (especially in warm weather) but my main concern is the blue CAPACITOR which LRP recommends using (seems like for both Sphere ESCs) and is part of their Cooling Set (LRP8250) -

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLXS2&P=7

That blue CAPACITOR "fixed" or solved the problems I was having earlier on with the older and original Sphere. Since it mentions that this LRP Cooling Set is both for the Original Sphere and the Competition Sphere, I was just wondering if anyone using the new Sphere Competion really needs to use this CAPACITOR?!? From what I know the LRP Sphere Competition already comes with 3 small Capacitors that apparently improve the ESC performance... is a 4th CAP needed then?! I would just like to make sure my buddy does not experience the same problems I had (like many others ) since this is his first time going Brushless.

Again... thanks for any who can share any info and/or suggestions!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #756
Tech Rookie

Default rotor broken

today I had a bad experience with my brushless, first time I use it and the rotor has broken, it is a 3-star motor, just run some minutes. Stoped the car at the straight suddenly like braking hard.

Is it possible to find a new rotor to buy or just buying a new motor ?
Attached Thumbnails
lrp brushless esc-dsc00095.jpg  
prmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Nice fridge magnet now I guess.

I blew my 2nd sphere comp today. I drove my B4 all over the neigborhood with the sphere comp last night. At least 4 3700 packs. I put the car away for the night after swapping to race tires for this mornings racing. Got to the track, tossed the car down and got half way around the track and the car stopped. By the time I got down off the stand and got the thing turned off and battery unplugged the esc was nearly a puddle. Pics to follow.
I have toasted escs before due to user error (usually when rewiring and I crossed the battery leads) and understand why it happened, but I am at a total loss as to why two sphere comps have gone up in smoke on me after working perfectly within 24 hrs prior. Im still within the 120 days. I hope LRP will honor my 2nd claim in that period.
Andrew
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I am thinking that the motor and esc can't withstand the high voltage and long use of the new cells. I noticed now reading your post Andrew and others that we are putting to much power to these electronics. The heat build up in the motor and the amp draw is to much for them. Plus, since the Neo/Sphere/comp don't have a temp sensor like the Novak that is a gamble on our part to make sure it does not get to hot internally to go out.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #759
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmartins
today I had a bad experience with my brushless, first time I use it and the rotor has broken, it is a 3-star motor, just run some minutes. Stoped the car at the straight suddenly like braking hard.

Is it possible to find a new rotor to buy or just buying a new motor ?

I tried to get them to replace my 3 star rotor in mine, but they said they could not. They said something to the effect that the new rotors are the same ones from the 4 star motors and would require a new and special bearing. This bearing would need to be a high speed bearing. However one guy told me on here that they sell rotors for the 3 star motor in europe. I could not find a location to see if they do. If sombody knows where, coul you please post the website to the rotor for the 3 star motor.At this point it would be better to buy a new motor.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #760
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Has anyone tried using an extra cap on the Sphere Comp? (it comes with one pre-installed), I have also the cooling kit for it which has another smaller blue cap that can be installed. Does running both caps keep the esc cooler? And less chance of destroying itself or thermalling?
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #761
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG.
I am thinking that the motor and esc can't withstand the high voltage and long use of the new cells. I noticed now reading your post Andrew and others that we are putting to much power to these electronics. The heat build up in the motor and the amp draw is to much for them. Plus, since the Neo/Sphere/comp don't have a temp sensor like the Novak that is a gamble on our part to make sure it does not get to hot internally to go out.
The ESC definitely got hot but it wasn't from heat build up. I'm guessing it was an internal short somewhere. I only had the car on the track for a half lap. It was under 80 degrees at our track so it wasn't an overheating issue. And I was using tired, old 3300's so I doubt it was a matter of voltage or amps. Not to mention the rest of the day I ran another sphere comp in my sedan with a 13.5 and an orion lipo for 5- 8 minutes at a time and the esc never came off hotter tahn 110 and the mototr never topped 130. the Sphere comp DOES have an internal temp sensor that monitors the temp in the ESC itself and will shut down if it gets too hot. What it doesn't have, is the shutoff feature for when the motor gets too hot. The sensor is there in the Novak motors, but the ESC does "look" at that sensor.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #762
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy
I have the Sphere Comp as well and it works flawlessly.

Sepirts, I have been thinking of trying the 3.5R with my Sphere. What is the wiring? Blue/Yellow/Orange to A/B/C ? Thanks!

For those using Novak motors and trying to remember the above I have a pneumonic device for ya.

What color are Bees 's? YELLOW. So Yellow = B
What Vitamin do you get from Oranges? Vitamin C. So Orange = C
BLUE = A by default
Old 10-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #763
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Has anyone tried using an extra cap on the Sphere Comp? (it comes with one pre-installed), I have also the cooling kit for it which has another smaller blue cap that can be installed. Does running both caps keep the esc cooler? And less chance of destroying itself or thermalling?
Anyone???
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:03 AM   #764
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Just thinking of picking a sphere esc (not the comp version) for 1/12 scale application and just need to be sure if it can handle a Novak 3.5R motor with no problems since its only 4 cell or would I be better getting the competition version. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #765
Tech Master

You would be better off getting the Sphere Comp. The sphere is not designed to handle the 3.5R. Also a fyi even though you would be running 4 cells, be sure to keep an eye on the motor temp since the LRp does not have a temp sensor circuit like the GTB does.