R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #736
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach51
you have to program it, simple, first step in the programming instructions.
Oh, so when you make the motor type switch, you just go back through the main set up again with the different motor.

Got it. Simple indeed.

Thanks for the reply.

~Darkseid
Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #737
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

its not the setup where you program it for your radio, ie: set neutral, set full throttle, set reverse...

the instructions for programming it are in the instructions. you have 4 things I think you can program, mode 1 I believe has 4 choices, 2 for brushless, 2 for brushes, each has one choice with reverse and one choice without.
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #738
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach51
its not the setup where you program it for your radio, ie: set neutral, set full throttle, set reverse...

the instructions for programming it are in the instructions. you have 4 things I think you can program, mode 1 I believe has 4 choices, 2 for brushless, 2 for brushes, each has one choice with reverse and one choice without.
Oh sh!t....duhh... Can't believe I missed that.

My bad....

Thanks for holding back and not tossing in the well deserved 'idiot' and 'moron' comments.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 03:14 AM   #739
teo
Tech Initiate

How am I supposed to wire up the LRP Sphere Comp. if I want to run a receiver pack?
Connect like normal and connect receiver pack to RX and just leave esc switch in off position?

I couldn't find any info on this and want to make sure its the correct procedure
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #740
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo
How am I supposed to wire up the LRP Sphere Comp. if I want to run a receiver pack?
Connect like normal and connect receiver pack to RX and just leave esc switch in off position?

I couldn't find any info on this and want to make sure its the correct procedure
If you're running a 1.2v/5 cell receiver pack, you can leave everything the same and turn on the car with just the receiver pack on/off switch. Do NOT use the ESC's switch in the configuration. Tape it off so a good Samaritan at the track doesn't accidentally turn on the ESC switch when getting your car after a race.

What I do, and it works great, is to disconnect the red wire from the ESC to the receiver. Then you need to turn on both switches, receiver pack first, ESC second. What I like about this setup is that while I'm on the track to put my car down for a race, I turn on the receiver pack switch which turns on the receiver, steering servo & personal transponder. I can then check trim, check the car in on the scoring loop and then right before I go to the drivers stand I'm a go for main engine start , err, I turn on the ESC switch to power up the main battery pack end ESC.

I also run a 2 cell/350mah Lipo receiver pack. My Sphere Comp will accept up to 8.4v which is what the lipo puts out at full charge, so I feel better not running that much juice to the ESC. My Pro Micro Spektrum receiver on the other hand is good to 9v, so it works out using the two switch system.
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Anyone know when the TC (touring car) edition of the Sphere competition version will be available? And also the new x11 based motors?
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #742
teo
Tech Initiate

Thanks LAGuy!

I posted a thread about LRP&Novak 3.5R motor, but maybe it's better to ask here. Do you know if I can run the Novak 3.5R motor on the LRP Sphere comp?
This is for 4cell 1:12 scale.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #743
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo
Thanks LAGuy!

I posted a thread about LRP&Novak 3.5R motor, but maybe it's better to ask here. Do you know if I can run the Novak 3.5R motor on the LRP Sphere comp?
This is for 4cell 1:12 scale.
Yes you can! In fact, I did it today and it just rips! Way faster than the 4 Star I was running. The only thing I don't like about Novak's design is the sensor harness is permanently attached to the motor. The wiring is Blue to A, Yellow to B & Orange to C.

I was running 1/10th scale. In a 12th, it's really going to be a land rocket!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 AM   #744
Tech Master

Just wondering if anyone has tried a 3.5 with the sphere comp? (in touring car)

any issues? feedback?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #745
Tech Adept

I've run a 3.5 with a sphere comp in my JRXS on a hot summer day on asphault. No problems with the sphere. I had the hot weather kit and fan. Not sure if it makes a difference - never tested it without it (with the 3.5).
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #746
TZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hate saying anything negative about anybodys products, but after going through two neo 1 3*'s, less than 4 minutes on either one.
and 4 weeks turn around time, I'm quite frustrated to say the least.
My sphere comp hasn't given me any problems since I've been using brushed
mod's waiting for the B\L to return.

I've been out of the rc cars for a few years, hate not knowing what to get and what not get. Geuss I'll have get a novak B\L.

Does anyone know if TEKIN's new stuff will use sensored motor's?
TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #747
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I think the Tekin bl is sensorless. I know how you feel TZ. Been there and done that except with the Sphere and Neo 3*.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #748
Tech Regular

I know you usually hear of just the problems. Nobody bothers to post when things are working. So I thought I'd add my experiences with the LRP/Reedy combo. I have never had a problem with my Sphere Comp or the 4 Star and 3.5R I have used with it. Never! It has performed flawlessly.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #749
Tech Master

Default Sphere Comp. with Novak 3.5

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experiences with a Sphere Comp and a Novak 3.5. So far I have had the system just a week and have have put through about 10 runs in total with both the 3.5 and a 4 star LRP motor. No problems whatsoever to report. (fingers crossed, I will never have anything bad to report! )

Gearing plays a massive role in temps of both esc and motor. Just dropping one tooth on the pinion made a temp change of 20+C' on the motor!!

Sp far, all of my testing has been on a large outdoor nitor track (2006 world's track - Brendale) and the ambient temps have been around high 20's to low 30'C. The results are:

esc temp has never been above 55'C (even after approx 7min run)
motor temp on 4 star maxed out at 65'C
motor temp on 3.5 maxed out at 55'C

I am still testing ratios at the moment as I feel that I have not yet pushed the system to what it can take. I will post further findings soon.

Leonard.
Attached Thumbnails
lrp brushless esc-lrp-1.jpg   lrp brushless esc-lrp-2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #750
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm trying to help a friend out with his new LRP Sphere Competition ESC...

As some of you may know it's been a while since I used a Sphere because of the reliability issues I experienced with it months ago and posted on this thread..... On the original Sphere... I had to use the Cap that came with the LRP Cooloing Set... something which LRP recommended on their User Guide but didn't include with the Sphere nor was it readily available for sale (at least here in the States). Anyway... my question to those using the newer (and hopefully improved) Sphere Competition is... does that too need the Cooling Set (in particular the Cap) to work properly?! Just wondering?!

Wild_Cherry.... do you have an answer to this since Burito seems to have stopped posting on this thread?!

Thanks to anyone who could share some tips, recommendations, and be of help!

Last edited by STEALTH; 10-11-2006 at 09:09 PM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote