R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #706
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man, I was considering going with the Sphere Comp. as my brushless esc for our local Novak SS4300 brushless motor class, but going by what I've seen here as of late, it looks like LRP has some quality control issues to work out.

I'm usually the "I'll try it for myself" type of person, but jezz...the negative feedback seems overwhelming! I mean is there ANY good news to report about it???

I might have to look to the Novak...
Old 09-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #707
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to gofastrlbrown
Default second The Motion

That is what I am going to do Darkseid! Call LRP and ask them wht there problem is. In fact, I will do it tomorrow nd make notes and post what they have to say in their own defense.
Gofastrlbrown
gofastrlbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #708
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think LRP is having any more or less problems than anyone else with their speedos...brushed or brushless.

People tend to post when they have problems and hardly ever post that thier stuff is work well so you see a skewed reality on the internet.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #709
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I don't think LRP is having any more or less problems than anyone else with their speedos...brushed or brushless.

People tend to post when they have problems and hardly ever post that thier stuff is work well so you see a skewed reality on the internet.
True Dat!!! I've been using the same LRP speedo and 3* motor for 1 year w/out any problems. The only thig that has gone wrong is the motor screws stripped out and I can't open the can to replace the bearings. A litte JB weld and it's good as new

On a side note there have been some local guys who have had problems with their Competition speedos and newer NEO motors.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #710
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

anybody know when will the X11 5star be available?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #711
Tech Adept

Hey. I heard rumors at LRP realised the new esc and motors next mounth... we will see
Old 09-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #712
Tech Apprentice

I can agree with the fact that you only hear the bad things and not the good. Why then do we not hear bad things near as much as with Novak as we do with LRP. I know, it is a conspiracy where all the people that work for Novak are posting negative comments about their competition, LOL!!!
Go Fast
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #713
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

I will try and tip the negative balance of feedback towards the positive side..

I havent had one single, glitch, thermal shutdown problem at all with my nosram 4 star....Ive geared it at 18/96:1.8 in my schumacher E.C and its been flawless, barely gets warm.

cant wait to get the x11 4 star, sintered mag's!

yeah!
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #714
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Same here, ive used my 4-star for almost a year now both racing in my MSX and bashed in the B4.. Still no glitch or anything.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #715
Tech Apprentice

I am glad to see that it is isolated situations. I like Team Associated and wish them the best in the Biz.
Go Fast
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #716
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Does the Sphere Comp have a thermal overload sensor for the motor? I smoked a 4300 over the weekend at 256* F. I ran back to back classes and assumed the speedo would shut everything down before the motor overheated. Perhaps that only applies to the ESC on the Sphere comp as the esc was only 130* F. I took the 4300 apart and cant remove the rotor. It rotates with a significant increase in resistance. I was in the middle of a race and the motor just slowed and slowed so I thought my li-po was at its end. I stopped the car at the side of the track and tried to go again just a bit to get the car to me and it wouldn't even budge at that point. Any thoughts?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #717
Tech Elite

Does the Sphere Comp have a thermal overload sensor for the motor in the hall sensor? I smoked a 4300 over the weekend at 256* F. I ran back to back classes and assumed the speedo would shut everything down before the motor overheated. Perhaps that only applies to the ESC on the Sphere comp as the esc was only 130* F. I took the 4300 apart and cant remove the rotor. It rotates with a significant increase in resistance. I was in the middle of a race and the motor just slowed and slowed so I thought my li-po was at its end. I stopped the car at the side of the track and tried to go again just a bit to get the car to me and it wouldn't even budge at that point. Any thoughts?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #718
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmio
Team AE

I also had my Sphere comp melted early this year and another one just went dead without any reason. I received the replacement and all the I can say is that the later version is much more reliable than the previous ones. I am sure they realized all the production and design issues with the earlier release and have resolved the problems by now.
i have had my sphere comp for about 5 months now and have had zero problems with it until this past saturday!!!!!

about a minute into the race it just shut off...went back to the pits and tried everything..new battery pack...cut the switch to see if it went bad...just had no heart beat at all. no lights,no power to the servo..and this was with a novak 4300 motor and 4 cells? it's on it's way back to lrp for some TLC...i sure hope this is the last problem i have with it...
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #719
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Does the Sphere Comp have a thermal overload sensor for the motor in the hall sensor? I smoked a 4300 over the weekend at 256* F. I ran back to back classes and assumed the speedo would shut everything down before the motor overheated. Perhaps that only applies to the ESC on the Sphere comp as the esc was only 130* F. I took the 4300 apart and cant remove the rotor. It rotates with a significant increase in resistance. I was in the middle of a race and the motor just slowed and slowed so I thought my li-po was at its end. I stopped the car at the side of the track and tried to go again just a bit to get the car to me and it wouldn't even budge at that point. Any thoughts?
The Novak motors have a temp sensor in the motor. The GTB reads this signal on the blue wire. LRP motor do not have an internal temp sensor so the Spheres dose not have this function. If you overgear a Novak motor on a Sphere you can certainly hurt it.

Running back to back until you run out of batteries is not a problem if you are geared right. The motor will build heat to a certain point and stay there. If you motor gets hotter and hotter throughout the run and never levels off you are overgeared.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #720
Tech Elite

ahaa. Good to know. Better late than never. Thanks