R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #571
Tech Regular

the novak gtb esc doesnt have any bolt boss for the plastic bolt. The plastic bolt makes it way in between the two ribs.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #572
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Okay guys I am posting this for a friend with no acess to the web. He has a Sphere comp and 3 star motor. He says that the car (compared to his brushed) feels flat in the middle areas of throttle. Lots of low end punch and top but very little middle. Is this a setting issue? or nature of this system?

btw it is geared as stated in the manual.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #573
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
Okay guys I am posting this for a friend with no access to the web. He has a Sphere comp and 3 star motor. He says that the car (compared to his brushed) feels flat in the middle areas of throttle. Lots of low end punch and top but very little middle. Is this a setting issue? or nature of this system?

BTW it is geared as stated in the manual.

Suggest checking motor first , see if its spins freely & nothing is rubbing...

also check the hall effect harness & make sure its plugged in on both motor & ESC...

recheck programing of profiles on ESC....

What kind of ride & gear ratio are you using?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #574
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

I also thought the Sphere comp and Vector motor were a bit 'flat' in the mid register, i adjusted the exponential to positive (about 20%) in my transmitter and it made it feel better.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #575
Tech Regular

I love my Sphere competition but I am having some problems with It.

I was running it with a Novak ss4300 motor and it runs fine. I run it with 27T and 19T motor and it runs fine.

Today I was running it with a Novak 4.5R motor. It would run fine except that every once in a while, the motor would stop and just die. I checked the motor and the speed control and they were only warm to the touch, so I don't think I was overheating the motor or the ESC. The weather was not hot either.

It seems like the ESC when into safety mode or something. Normally the LED would be RED when in neutral throttle. However, whenever it stops running, the LED would turn yellow. Also, everytime when the motor stops, all I had to do is turn off the ESC and turn it back on, then I could run it for another period of time.

What is wrong? Is the 4.5R too strong for the Sphere? It doesn't seem to be overheating. FYI, I was running the 4.5R with 22t pinion and 78t spur (48pitch). I was only running it at 60% top speed and my throttle curve was at -20%. I was trying to keep it slow with the 19T guys.

Any help?
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #576
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinco
I love my Sphere competition but I am having some problems with It.

I was running it with a Novak ss4300 motor and it runs fine. I run it with 27T and 19T motor and it runs fine.

Today I was running it with a Novak 4.5R motor. It would run fine except that every once in a while, the motor would stop and just die. I checked the motor and the speed control and they were only warm to the touch, so I don't think I was overheating the motor or the ESC. The weather was not hot either.

It seems like the ESC when into safety mode or something. Normally the LED would be RED when in neutral throttle. However, whenever it stops running, the LED would turn yellow. Also, everytime when the motor stops, all I had to do is turn off the ESC and turn it back on, then I could run it for another period of time.

What is wrong? Is the 4.5R too strong for the Sphere? It doesn't seem to be overheating. FYI, I was running the 4.5R with 22t pinion and 78t spur (48pitch). I was only running it at 60% top speed and my throttle curve was at -20%. I was trying to keep it slow with the 19T guys.

Any help?
I ran mine all weekend with the 4.5 with no problems at all
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #577
Tech Adept

i have found that the manuals are very conservative with regards to rollouts. try gearing up, it should pull harder in the middle. too low a ratio will cause the motor to top out too quickly and feel flat. as long as the motor does'nt get beyond 165 deg or so, your ok...............

late.
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #578
Tech Regular

You guys have any idea what problem might be with my sphere competition?
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #579
Tech Adept

what oil/grase is suggested to use in vector motors? When i opened it, i noticed that there is some kind of white grase, now i doubt if i should use standart motor bearing oil, or should i get that white grase somewhere?

If bearing oil is ok, then how often i have to reoil motor bearings? If motor bearing oils is not ok, then where can i gat that specific grase?
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #580
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Do you run a spektrum?

Mike
casper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #581
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Ollie RDX

Quote:
with the sphere you have to get the curce @ 0% otherwise he starts to freak out!
I ran the Nosram but just the normal version it goes allot better than the evolution or competiton if you get it good! If you don't get it good it will break!
Greetings Ollie
Ollie RDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #582
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys.

I'm running a regular Sphere (not comp) with a Novak 5.5r. SMC matched cells, numbers hover around 1.5 peak vlts, 1.171 regular vlts. I'm running a 15t pinion when I used to run a 17t with a V2 12x2. Top speed is about 8 or so mph faster so I figure I'm about right on the pinion.

My problem, it cogs horribly until about 20mph. Even if I take off as slowly as possible, it still cogs. If I give it full throttle, it takes about 10 seconds to get to 20mph due to the cogging, then it promptly takes off like a bat out of hell and runs great until I slow down again. It's actually cogging, not glitching, or atleast I assume so because the servo isn't glitching.

The radio system I use (Hitec Aggressor FM 75mhz) is the same radio system I use in 1 other car (mini inferno with a brushless), and 3 different nitro powered boats without any problems, so I assume it's not the radio's fault.

When the motor wasn't in the car, it didn't cog. When the car is held in the air and given throttle, it cogs slightly less than when on the ground because it can freewheel and get to that certain rpm faster.

All the setting in the esc are default. I haven't tried anything else yet.

I don't think I've left out any pertinent info, if I have, let me know.

My only answer is that I'm running a Sphere with a 5.5 when the Sphere is only rated to handle 5.5, so I'm right at the limit.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciate because I'm at a loss here, plus I'm new to brushless.

Thanks!

Last edited by HVAC25000; 06-14-2006 at 01:55 AM.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #583
Tech Legend

Maybe add a cap to the ESC ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #584
Tech Initiate

FYI the original Sphere is rated at above 5.5 tuns, but Reto said that you could use a 5.5 but you would be pushing it.

As for the cogging, try a smaller pinion. I had this problem in my T4 with my 3star, I would run a gearing like a 10 turn which I think is an 87t spur with a 18t pinion, it cogged like crazy, then I put a 15t pinion and it worked perfectly so, try lowering your pinion and put a bigger spur on if you cant find a 14t pinion.
Fantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #585
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I guess I just got my answer. LRP replied to my email telling me that it's because I'm running a 5.5.

Anyone want to trade (with cash) a used once Sphere for a Sphere comp or GTB? Or a 5.5r for a 6.5r or 3star?

Last edited by HVAC25000; 06-14-2006 at 02:33 PM.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote