R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2006, 04:03 AM   #466
Tech Addict

@azmio: cool, I was living in Wetzikon. Which is the next town to Hinwil (like 5mins or so from the Sauber factory...). Now I know why you speak German.

@bill: I think some water shouldn't be a problem inside the motor, but I'll check with our engineers first before giving a "real answer"...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #467
Tech Initiate

hi what is the difference between the Sphere reverse & Sphere Comp in terms of performance?

can the reverse esc handle the new 4 star Neo?
dandyspashett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #468
Tech Addict

@dandy: might be the easiest if you visit www.lrp-electronic.de for the details/differences, would be too long to list them again here. The normal Sphere is not capable to handle the 4-Star motors, so you'll need a Sphere Competition to be able to use the 4-Star.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 AM   #469
Tech Adept

Hello again!
I have a little problem. During a crash (wich was not even my fault) the heatsink of the sphere competition came off and it pulled the metal top plate of the speedo. Apparently, the thermal tape that attaches the heatsink to the plate is stronger than the bond between the plate and the esc board. Is it ok if i use thermal tape, similar to the one supplied with the speedo, to reattach the plate to the board?
If not, what should I do?
If yes, where can I buy such tape?
Thanks for the support
billtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #470
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

billtc3, I thought I saw somewhere you could use glue like epoxy (JB Weld). Not 100% sure though, maybe burito can confirm for us.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:04 AM   #471
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

Where is a good starting point with my gearing in me XXX-4.
i have the newest Sphere with the Neo One 2 (the 11t)
Ill be running it at SoCal.

Thanks
Team Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #472
Tech Adept

How about Sphere Competition and 4 star motor in 1/12?
Is there any problems with runtime?

Sphere and 3 star motor really rocks in 12th scale,
is it the same with 4 star?
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #473
Tech Addict

Hello everyone,

sorry for the delayed response, I just returned to work today after the 1/12 Euro's on Gran Canaria.
We did well with our brushless systems, had 4 drivers in the A-main and a good advantage over the brushed guys, but unfortunately no drivers capable of winning this time...

@billtc3: sorry to hear about that, must have been an unfortunate crash that the plate came loose. You could return it to AE to get it fixed, but you could rather easily do it yourself. In case you'd like to do this:
- get good heat transfering paste (any good electronics store will offer this).
- clean the stickerplate and the fet's with alcohol.
- put a small amount of paste on all 3 rows of fet's and press the stickerplate back on.
- put a VERY SMALL amount of CA on the edges of the stickerplate to securely fix it.

@Team Girth: check the manual for gearing recommendations, in case you don't have it anymore you'll find it in the download section at www.lrp-electronic.de as well.

@JanisK: since we just had the Euro's this weekend I can certainly answer this one quite well...
We had 3- and 4-Star available for the race and all drivers choose the 4-Star for this race, it simply had more power and still had plenty of runtime. We were using VTEC3700's (no 3800's or 4200's allowed!) and came off with 600-800mAh in all runs!
We ran 29-30mm rollout and power profile #3 with the 4-Star.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 AM   #474
Tech Adept

Burito, thanks for the reply. I think I'll do it myself. I might try the 468MP tape that LRP supplies for the heatsinks, as it is super thin, yet very strong.

Last weekend I ran my Pro4, Sphere Competition, Star4, through more than 20 packs, at the local track. Performance was excellent: power and top speed was easily as much as 8turn brushed motors and duration... 6 minutes or more! Trust me, we have some pretty good brushed guys at the track, so I could compare directly with them, on the straightway and in the midfield!

Can't wait for the 5star to become available!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #475
Tech Addict

Good to hear it works well.
Sure you can use the 3M 468MP tape as well, just make sure you clean the plate and fets well before you apply it.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #476
Tech Adept

I guess the QC3 will be "The last of the Quantums", kind of collectors item

That's because by the time the QC4 would be launched, the Spheres will have dominated the RC Universe!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #477
Tech Regular

Burito,

I just sent you a Private message. appreciate if you can check it out. I really need your help on this and I dont want to disclose it here, after all I have so many LRP products in my collection.

p/s Which part of Wetzikon do you come from? I used to live in Hofstrasse, 6 minuten mit fuss von die bahnhof.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #478
Tech Elite

burito - Here is an update on my LRP Sphere...My only comment is that I notice that after I run a full battery pack... the ESC then quits on me towards the end of the session? It seems like the ESC needs to cool off even 10 minutes after this occurs?! I know I am not overgeared as my ESC and motor temps only hit the 115F-135F range (definitely well within LRP's limits I am sure). It's really only after running a full pack does this problem show itself (I have steering but hardly any or no throttle response)!? Because of this I have never been able to run packs back-to-back for fear the ESC might just give-out suddenly (like the first one I sent back to Associated)?!?

So how critical is the Capacitor on the "Cooling Set"?! It's on it's way to me but the Cap looks tiny!? What I currently have is a Spektrum Cap conncected to my Spektrum receiver and again I have had no problems with the steering.... it's just the throttle that has been erratic. Any clues as to why this might be happening?! Wild Cherry? Burito? Many Thanks!

Last edited by STEALTH; 03-12-2006 at 08:55 PM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #479
Tech Legend

Stealth

check 6 pin hall effect harness ..
make sure its pluged in all the way & none of the wires are loose or broken from plug....

if not this ...

suggest fan....

and while your at it ...
open up endbell and check & oil bearing ....

examine stator(sp) & make sure it has not shifted on shaft towards endbell and started to rub endbell...( happens when excess over heat has occured)...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #480
Tech Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Stealth

check 6 pin hall effect harness ..
make sure its pluged in all the way & none of the wires are loose or broken from plug....

Check! Not the Problem.

Quote:
if not this ...

suggest fan....

I have had a Much-More fan installed ever since I installed the Sphere and Neo-One on my T4. Considering the System is also on a Stadium Truck... Ventilation and Air-Flow are not a problem.

Quote:
and while your at it ...
open up endbell and check & oil bearing ....

examine stator(sp) & make sure it has not shifted on shaft towards endbell and started to rub endbell...( happens when excess over heat has occured)...

Check! Not the Problem either.

Wild Cherry - Thanks for the suggestions! LRP should hire you and make you their On-Line Customer Service Rep. You do a great job at trying to answer questions and complaints about their products. You are also very prompt. Maybe someone from LRP can learn from you.... especially considering they hardly ever answer question even on their own LRP Forum?!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote