R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #451
Tech Initiate

Burito,
I have from few days Sphere Comp+Star4 mounted on my 415MSX and I would like to know what gear ratio you suggest to me to start, in other words : have you checked over gear ratio specially on large flow track ? What is really the gear ratio limit of Sphere comp/Star4 ? Next Sunday I will fight with some Novak 4.5 and I would like to be ready for combat !!! Thank you in advance for your support.
Mafodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #452
Tech Regular

Herr Burito,

Vielen dank. I have contacted Spektrum rep to discuss with them about my glitch problems. They acknowledged the problems and they have asked me to send all the units back for software upgrade.

As for the drag brake, I think i am not the only one who loves big drag brake. I am sure that many others have relayed their desire for big drag brake to Novak that they included sehr gross drag brake. I was also surprised with the drag brake of GTB when I first used it, it's just marvelous.

This reminds me of race bikes with slipper clutch. If we can have it large, smooth and controllable enough without causing wheel slipping, it will really tighten the turning radius.

Auf wiederhoren herr Burito.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #453
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafodda
Burito,
I have from few days Sphere Comp+Star4 mounted on my 415MSX and I would like to know what gear ratio you suggest to me to start, in other words : have you checked over gear ratio specially on large flow track ? What is really the gear ratio limit of Sphere comp/Star4 ? Next Sunday I will fight with some Novak 4.5 and I would like to be ready for combat !!! Thank you in advance for your support.

Mafodda, in order for him to be able to help you you can give him a few details about your track like how long the straight is... etc.

Lets say for our track which has a 150ft straight and it is pretty easy going we are using 7,50 final ratio with program 4-5 to a ratio of 7,80 with program 6. Just experiment a little bit from there. If you overdo it you will probably get a thermal. So you know that you went over the line. Thats how we do it anyway.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #454
Tech Addict

@mafodda: there's not much I could add to aantonis reply, that would be my recommendation as well...

@azmio: du sprichst deutsch?
still i think you're on the wrong way with such high drag brake, but seems like i can't convince you...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #455
Tech Adept

Burito
I use the sphere competition and the 3star motor (touring asphalt, same track as antonis). I'll get the 4star soon. My question is how much timing is it safe to use on each motor? Is it safe to try up to 8 degrees on both motors? Will the waranty be valid if a motor brakes down in such advanced timing?
Thank you
billtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #456
Tech Addict

Actually you'll have worse performance when increasing the motors mechanical timing, if used with the Sphere Competition of course! Leave the timing on +2mm, no matter what wind you use, this will give you best performance and most torque.
Things are much more advanced inside the Sphere Competition (ADPC = Advanced Digital Phase Control) then on any other brushless speedo...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #457
Tech Adept

I know, the sphere competition performs great! So, I should stay with 2 deg timing no matter what #star motor I use, and change the ADPC settings and the gear ratio. Thanx
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #458
Tech Legend

Burito...
Over 400 runs now !

Still performs like new !

I`m going for the world record....

600 runs ?

NOOOOO problem , I`ll bet anyone ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #459
Tech Adept

Here's another one. I know the Sphere isn't waterproof, so I have to protect it if I race in rain. But what about the Vector/Neo? Can it handle water or will the circuit board inside the motor be damaged?
Thanx
Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #460
Tech Regular

Bill,

err, it's a big risk to run sphere and vector in rain. No matter how hard we try, water can find its way into the electronics. I have learned my lesson well.

Burito,

Ja, aber ein bissen. Ich bin ein motoren inginieur. Sie schriebe sehr gut englisch, sind sie ein deutschman oder englischman?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #461
Tech Adept

Not really, if you do your job well, it can't. So back to my question about Vector + Water???
Old 02-24-2006, 02:44 AM   #462
Tech Regular

sorry bill, you need to ask Burito about the Vector.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #463
Tech Addict

@bill: to be honest, I think noone ran in wet conditions with brushless yet! But apart from a good sealing job on the speedo, there shouldn't be a real problem running the motor in the wet. Maybe you can seal the openings of the motor with some gel, so no water emerges into the motor.

@azmio: I'm actually Swiss, but live and work in Germany since 8 years. But german is my native language.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #464
Tech Adept

Burito, thank you for your prompt replies

In wet conditions (not heavy rain of course) I put the receiver in a balloon and mount it on the top deck of my pro4. I leave the QC2 in the lower deck. Never had a problem with that. However, brushed motors don't like rain, as the brushes show excessive wear. You have to readjust a brushed motor for wet conditions. So running brushless in the wet, could be really easy, as long as the board inside the motor can handle the water.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 AM   #465
Tech Regular

Burito

Glad to hear that. I spent about 2.5 years working for Sauber Petronas in Hinwil back in the late 90s. Great skiing every weekend during winter