R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Wild Cherry!

Traction changes throughout the day since it's an outdoor track. I usually run at least one full pack for every class I join before the actual race starts. Traction is quite good at this time since the track is normally watered down before the races begin. Now towards the middle and end... things tend to get slippery and dusty.... until the track is hosed down again.

Spur is 87 and the Pinion I'll have to double check... amost certainly between a 17 to 19 I believe. Will double check in a few hours.

Many thanks for the quick reply too! By the way... I actually won our Club's Stadium Truck Race despite these earlier "issues". Being able to drop one of the four heats really does help in the end!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #437
Tech Master

STEALTH, My sphere is in a T4 also with a 3 star-9T I believe. The throttle was activng erratically too the other day after a wreck. What I did was go through the set-up process again with the transmitter and problem was solved. I also noticed my ESC was getting quite hot after running a li-po pack for an extended run, believe it or not I dropped down 1 tooth on the pinion and that problem was solved. Now the ESC gets warm, but not hot with even more punch than before, gearing seems to be very critical, especially in tropical climates such as ours.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #438
Tech Legend

Stealth on my B-4, I run a 3 star, 19t /81.... Not a bit bigger, cus all you will achieve is heat & a mushy power band...

So for the T-4, I would make sure you are running a 17t or if it gets hot 16t .... with the 87 spur

believe a 90 spur will be something you should try...with the same pinion sizes 16t,17t....

Suggest a cap on the reciever , the motor stuttle at the end of the pack is a sign you may need one....

specially advise a Cap for trucks & sedans...(Cap on reciever)

The battery loss of voltage towards end of the pack, will cus problems with performance like you mention...

Ps check Thottle & brake EPA , on higher brake setting you can get more heat...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #439
Tech Elite

After getting a chance to check my T4 it has on it a 16T Pinion. It had a 19T Pinion when I had the Novak Super Sport on there. When I installed the Sphere and Neo-One 3* combo I first placed a 17T Pinion before running the Truck but then got a tip from Brent Thielke (Associated Team Manager) to go with a 16T first.... which I did and am now happy with. Brent and Kurt Wenger both now use the Sphere in tandem with a 90T Spur so it looks like getting the 90T Spur is a good idea.... but I don't think it will solve my problem (it has now happened twice within 2 weeks) where I ran a full pack then had throttle issues while trying to run another pack even 10 minutes later?!? I actually have a Much-More fan facing it (even though I don't think it's really that necessary in Truck) and do use a Spektrum capacitor connected to the Receiver. The only key thing I can think of that isn't hooked up to it is the LRP capacitor which is included in the cooling set. So basically what I am asking is will installing the LRP cap solve the problem?!

I am giving this product a lot of rope here and do like it's performance when it works properly but if it won't be reliable in the long run... then I can never recommend it let alone purchase any of LRP's products in the future. I have done everything I can to make it work and do want it to work... consistently (just like yours Wild_Cherry ). I'm curious to hear what Reto (burito) has to say about it?!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #440
Tech Master

Ok, now Tower hobbies has updated the sphere comp as Late Februrary now. Mine has been on backorder for weeks. Anyone found any hobby shops with them in stock yet? Even overseas shops who do internet transactions?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #441
Tech Master

Any updates on the sphere competition? I see some fellow racers in greece have theirs, any first impressions? Is it much better than original sphere, or basically the same peformance? I was interested in better drag brakes too.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #442
Tech Adept

Dear hobbipro,

I have to say that there is no comparison between the two. The Sphere Competition- Star 4 combo can easily compete its brushed opponents at least in club racing levels, from what we have seen so far. I am personally very pleased with its performance and I will continue to support the brushless evolution since this combo is I believe the first that can put up with its brushed counterparts.
Secondly, I will support it since Brushless is the future, (at least thats what I see so far) and we will be there first (in terms of knowledge) when the time comes were most of, if not all of the touring racing will be using b/l components.

Antonis
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #443
Tech Rookie

Edit - TSR6 - Funny story. I have friends who speak the language that translated for me.

Watch it! Thanks..... -TSR6.

Last edited by TSR6; 02-18-2006 at 02:36 AM.
KORSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #444
Tech Regular

I bought my Sphere competition on Friday and got it running on Sunday. The drag brake is still non existence and nothing compared to my GTB drag brake.

I havent got time to really try all the drive profiles but it felt great on low traction track cause it somehow prevented my pan car from wheelspin even when i hammered my throttle.

One thing that really shocked me, on large track this thing caused my spektrum to glitch!!! what a shock! this reminded me of my old novak SS with FM receiver. I guess the noise emission is greater than usual and I have a feeling that they need a bigger power capacitor cause the Sphere competition power cap is too small compared to GTB's.

Anyhow, couple of my friends also run the Sphere competition with 4 star motor. No glitching at all and this is expected cause about 2 years ago, my TC also ran fine with FM receiver and Novak SS, only my pan cars suffered from the glitch. Cant figure out why but I guess it has something to do with the carbon fiber deck, maybe it's flexing too much in the middle.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #445
Tech Adept

azmio, I never use drag brake, it is always set to 0 or 1. When I took it to the highest value the effect was very noticeable, but then again probably it is because I never use it. My car did brake but I cant tell you just how much.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #446
Tech Regular

antonis

I tried mine at both large and tight track. The drag brake was there but it's just too little relative to what I can have with Novak GTB.

With GTB, it's large enough that it can cause my pan car rear to become loose upon entering corner. The drag brake is also large yet smooth enough that I dont need to do any braking or braking refinement using the throttle.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #447
Tech Addict

@azmio: you're sure that you set the correct mode when trying different autobrake values? The 4 modes are as following:
1) LiPo/NiMH
2) Power Profiles
3) Initial Brake
4) Auto Brake (= Drag Brake)

Sorry if this may be a stupid question... But the autobrake levels should be easily noticable. Especially when you go up to values 4-6.

But maybe you expect something different. The values are of course with racing in mind and not to lock the rear wheels. There's no point in giving extreme autobrake, since noone would use that in racing.

About the Spektrum:
- we have tried MANY times with the Spektrum system during development, there was no problems whasoever when we tested. Also there are many Spektrum users out there using our brushless with no problems.
- there are different Spektrum versions out there, make sure you got the latest update from them not to have problems.
- when experiencing problems, it could well be that the battery connector could be a factor, make sure you only use high-quality connectors when using brushless.
- use 2-layers of doublesided tape underneath both the speedo and the receiver for better shielding from the graphite. Also make sure they're not too close together.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #448
Tech Regular

Burito

Thank god you're here. Yup, I set the auto brake as instructed in the manual. I set it at 6. At this level, the system makes some sort of sound if you turn on the ESC and push the car or rotate the wheel. With the ESC off, you can easily push the car or rotate the wheel without any sound or without any drag. I am sure that the autobrake is on.

I am confident the auto brake is there. However, people who are used to Novak GTB will notice that GTB's drag brake is more noticeable if compared to Sphere's. It's just my preference in driving.

With 4WD TC, i dont mind not having minimum drag brake cause i can use manual brake without causing the car to spin. With my pan car I dont like to use the manual brake cause the effect can vary in many track condition. The effect can also vary while I am nervous after being pursued hard by others. With drag brake, i can more or less let the ESC do the braking smoothly without having to worry that my car would spin out.

I usually set my GTB drag brake one level less than a level that would cause my pan car's rear to loose upon entering corner. My lap time improved and I let go my throttle at much later stage. Gosh, i fell in love right away with the GTB's drag brake and I would really appreciate if you can tell your tech guys to have larger drag brake in the future product.

As for the Spektrum, I bought my units from Stormer hobby sometime in quarter 3 and 4 last year. I am pretty sure it's the updated version unlike the unit released early 2005.

anyhow, i will put two double sided tape and incorporate your other suggestions. For your information, i previously used the Sphere ESC without any serious glitch problem at the same track. With Sphere competition on in the same pan car, it's really bad that I stopped playing.

Anyhow, have you tried running the brushless unit with 1/10 pan car? My previous experience with Novak SS, 5800 motor and FM radio, the unit worked well with my TC. However, with my 1/10 pan car, the unit was glitching all over that the problem was only solved with the introduction of Spektrum. It has something to do with the carbon fiber deck flexing, etc. I guess.

Keep the feedback coming cause I am sure that the problems are solveable.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #449
Tech Master

Burito,
Have there been any shipments sent to the U.S. for the sphere competition yet? Some places (horizon hobbies) have April on there expected arrival date, while others say late February. I did find a few places in Germany, and the U.K. who have them in stock, but they are not willing to ship to the U.S. Even with the current exchange rates, getting one from overseas isnt too bad a deal. Any insider info would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #450
Tech Addict

@hobbipro: had to check with our sales-team. Shipment to the states is on the way there! Since this is obviously a very big market it took a while to have the required quantity ready and we didn't want to split it up into several small shipments which may have only upset certain distributers.
Actually I wasn't aware of this myself that none had been shipped to the US yet, so I apologise if some of my answers may have confused you guys.

@azmio: hard to believe that #6 drag-brake is not enough for you, you really seem to love A LOT of drag-brake... Actually I thought #5 and #6 were a waste of program since I felt noone would use such high settings...
But I'll talk to our engineers to find out if they want to add more in the future, which I doubt a bit.
Better try to set-up your car differently or adapt your driving, I'm sure you'd go faster at the end then using such extreme drag brake settings!

We tried it in all cars with Spektrum, didn't have problems. So I hope my recommendations help you.