R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #361
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito
...There's already 3 winds available as Neo1's (1- to 3-Star) and these are all available by now, these compare to brushed motos in the 9 to 13t and are suited for all modified classes...
Ok, after reading this, I feel really stupid , so I'm gonna make a really stupid question:

Neos and Spheres are available in different winds????????!!!!!!!!

This is the first time I read this, even though I'm a regular visitor of the forum. I've been racing an LRP Sphere in my HPI Pro4 for several months and I've allways been complaining that it's not fast enough, certainly not as fast as a 9t brushed, as I thought it should be. Then, after reading burito's reply, I remembered that my Sphere had a 3-Star mark on it when I bought it. I never wondered what it meant, I never asked. What the f...k? I bought a slow motor and I had no idea? Is this the reason it underperformed?

I'm really disappointed...
billtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #362
Tech Adept

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CKF

By the way, Tower hobbies say that the 3star is a 9t and the 1star is a 13t. This is opposite to what burito said. Who is right?????
Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #363
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the 3-star IS the 9T equivalent...

the 1 & 2 star are more geared for off-road racing...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #364
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

where did burito mention the turn rates of the 1-3 star... all i see is that he mentioned that they exist abuot 15 posts ago...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM   #365
Tech Legend

This mite help Stealth & other`s...

If your are having the motor shut off unexpectaly , or having to reprogram your Sphere cus it modes switched* or requires reprograming. (* Reverse unstead of brake)

Check your 6 pin wire to see if it is loose , or a wire has broken....

This could be why this problem is occuring...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #366
Tech Adept

AM03GT page 12, post 332

Here's another question:

My first Sphere "exploded" after 40 runs approximately. The magnets broke appart, half the armature was left stuck inside the can. No apparent reason, no overheatting, correct gear ratio (I can tell when the gear ratio is correct), etc. The local dealer was kind enough to replace it (thanks Antony!). When I rebuilt the motors (the old and the new one) I noticed that both armatures were unbalanced. In fact, so unballanced that you can notice when you spin the armature on the motor can bearing, and that the vibration is so intense at full power, that the clip-on heat sink moves!

So, the question is... Why are the armatures unballanced???
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #367
Tech Legend

Maybe the arm is`nt unbalance...

You could have a bent can or a bearing not seated flush inside the can....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #368
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron
the capacitor plugs into one of the four avilable slots on the receiver no soldiering is needed. if you decide to go spektrum and can not find the capacitor PM me and i will make sure you get one of the spektrum capacitors that is. unfortunately it appears that the voltage drop to the receiver is to great under acceleration load causing this problem.

The part number is : SPM1600, and my LHS has one on the way for me. Thanks, that helped. I think I WILL go through with the purchase afterall.. Worst case, it all ends up on Ebay..
Speedmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:32 PM   #369
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
This mite help Stealth & other`s...

If your are having the motor shut off unexpectaly , or having to reprogram your Sphere cus it modes switched* or requires reprograming. (* Reverse unstead of brake)

Check your 6 pin wire to see if it is loose , or a wire has broken....

This could be why this problem is occuring...

Thanks for the tips Wild Cherry but my LRP/Reedy gear is with Associated at the moment. I'll be giving them a call for an update on what the problem is soon. From what has been mentioned so far... it seems like a Cap from either LRP or Spektrum could have prevented a lot of problems. Let's hope that is the solution.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #370
Tech Apprentice

I am currently running the LRP brushless ESC and have a few questions if someone can help me please:

1. The 2 new Novak motors (5.5 and 6.5), are they compatible with the LRP system?

2. IF so, would they be faster than the current 3star motor?

3. I hear a 4 star motor is on the way, does anyone have any details?
(I presume this will be faster than the current 3 star as the 1 and 2 star are even slower)
crangon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:03 AM   #371
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

crangon - Yes, the Novak "Velociti" motors (5.5 and 6.5) will work with the Sphere as 5.5 is it's Brushless Motor Limit. Since I only have the 9-turn equivalent (3-Stars)... maybe this earleir post by Reto a few pages back regarding the other Brushless Motors in the Reedy/Vector line-up will help answer your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito
There's already 3 winds available as Neo1's (1- to 3-Star) and these are all available by now, these compare to brushed motos in the 9 to 13t and are suited for all modified classes (OnRoad, 4wd OffRoad, Truck, 2wd OffRoad). There was the new 4-Star Neo1 introduced at the I-Hobby show last week, which is not available yet. Should be until end of this year.

Sounds like it should be a faster motor to the 3-Star... which would at the very least match it against Novak's "Velociti" motors. Hope that helps!

Last edited by STEALTH; 11-01-2005 at 12:18 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #372
Tech Apprentice

mmmm, what to do, wait for the 4 star motor, or give one of the NOvak motors a try....!!!
crangon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #373
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Has anyone found a base line set up for the LRP/Neo One in 12th scale, running IB3800's??? Roll out, gear ratios, esc settings, etc?
Thanks.
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #374
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Has anyone found a base line set up for the LRP/Neo One in 12th scale, running IB3800's??? Roll out, gear ratios, esc settings, etc?
Thanks.
Set ESC as forward only/Mod/Med drag and auto brake. Rollout 35mm
I have about 40 runs on my Sphere/Neo w/ZERO problems
Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #375
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Excellent, I aggree with the roll out. I just ran 3 packs tonight and bounced between two pinions. I am a bit "old school", so I use inches for roll out. Mine was 1.33 which is very close to your 35mm. I went to mode #3 for the most drag brake instead of the recommended #1. Then I sellected full mod power. I seemed to have lots of extra run time... 9:45 at speed and another pack was near 11 minutes with a crummy set up on the car. Right now I feel that getting the power comparable to a brushed motor is the big deal. I will test against my 10 turn to see which wins my interest! There seems to be many benefits with the brushless. The power band seems to be rather linear and then snaps to full speed with the brushless compared to a brushed motor that has a curved power band that ramps up to full speed. That's a little different to get used to. I will report back.

bb
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote