R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2005, 03:57 AM   #346
Tech Adept

burito, I posted this a few weeks ago when I was in the market for a Brushless ESC and was doing my research with regards to the two systems I was eyeing. A guy from the track had a brand new Sphere and NeoOne just installed into his Off-Road kit and at first everything was fine while setting it up, etc. Unfortunately, after running less than a pack through it the throttle just simply gave out?! No problems with steering but his 4WD kit never ran again that day no matter how many times he tried resetting the ESC. He has had to send it back in to AE for servicing but since I haven't seen him in a while I'm not too sure what AE's diagnosis was? It doesn't seem like the Spektrum caused the problem and instead the ESC might have been defective because apparently the guy first had an older 5800 Novak brushless system which he used with his Spektrum and he said he had no problems with it.... He seemed familiar with Brushless Systems and really couldn't figure out what was wrong? Anyway... a few others have posted similar occurrences like TBone77 where he and his buddy had two brand new Sphere ESCs which did the same thing except they had different electronic components in their cars.... this made it easy for them to tell that the Sphere was the problem. I believe it was called a "sensor issue" in his post. Anyway... any light you could shed on why this might be happening would be very helpful to some I'm sure....
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

here is my experience with the spektrum and the lrp/reedy combo. I run 1/12 and with a stock motor everything works well. when I put the sphere is when the problems started. What I was noticing was that on power, the car would hesitate. It is like when you first try to drive a standard transmision car. i do not believe that the rx went into failsafe mode. The failsafe mode take a few 100msec to recover and this is much faster then that. when I put crystal setup back into my car with the sphere, all is good. I was running a rx pack connected to the batt of the rx. did not try a cap or power on the batt leads. also again it was working with a stock motor.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #348
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I think that the racing market would like a stock system but the basher market wants more power. I think one issue for a stock product is that stock and 19t are defined by physical traits of the motors (27 or 19, wire guage, max timing and bushings) in the rules.
Does anybody know the sales figures of an item like this? I'm curious as to who is buting into BL technology so far.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 AM   #349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

our track is having that very debate as we speak. Since our regionals was last week, a few of our guys invested in brushless for mod. made the weekend much simpler and actually the racing much closer. with the lrp you can limit the rpm to a sportman mode, so previously our track allowed brushed to run wiht brushless even in stock class. now there are people crying about having to run against brushless because it is more then one or 2 guys. I don't really understand that when we allow 3600/3700/3800 as soon as they were available. is that not an unfair advantage? And i would think from a club racer's perspective, brushless is the ticket just for the cost savings. I know guys that spend $100 on motors each month. i suspect that I will not be buying another motor for a while. At least not untill the next cool thing comes out .

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #350
Tech Apprentice

So what is the final verdict on the Spektrum problems? I'm picking one up today and if this is a real issue, I'll wait on it..
Speedmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #351
Tech Addict

Thanks for your input guys on the Spektrum issues you had. I'll discuss this again with our engineers and we'll again look into it, will get back to you next week since I don't want to give you false information here. Again, the testing we did hasn't shown those problems, but nevertheless there seems to be some kind of problem obviously since some of you are having those problems. But also don't forget that some guys use this combination with no problems whatsoever.

One question:
Are you all using the updated Spektrum system or are some of you with the "original" model which had a bug?

What is for sure, this is all about Spektrum with brushless:
-> the higher the load (like going from stock brushed setup to brushless), the more the voltage of the battery pack is going to suffer under load and therefore the more of a problem you'll get because of the 3.2V issue with the Spektrum receiver.
-> capacitors do help.
-> get rid of the "Tamiya/JST" connector, there's also voltage losses there which could lead to the problems.

Sorry that I can't explain further right now. But you'll hear from me again for sure.

@theisgroup: I assume you were running it in 1/12 without an RX-pack. Right? I think a receiver pack is required with only 4 cells and the Spektrum system, the BEC line will drop well below 3.2V otherwise under hard acceleration!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:40 AM   #352
Tech Apprentice

How do you tell which version of the Spektrum you have? I'm picking one up today at the LHS, but it could have been there awhile..
Old 10-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

TEAM-AE-4-EVER - The scenario you posted is more or less what happened with my Sphere and Neo-One System. I got intermittent cuts to the throttle and even a strange ticking sound from the motor which seemed like a sensor problem. I too had no problems with steering. Just had no throttle whatsoever. It's possible that a Cap could have solved (or at least helped) this issue..... but I'm not sure. If it was a defective ESC out of the box... then no Cap would have fixed it. I'll never know until I get word back from the guys down in Costa Mesa with what the actual problem really is. It points to a defective ESC mainly because I tried my Spektrum trasceiver with some other ESCs and had no problems. Reto, hope you have some explanations or thoughts on this... many thanks!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 AM   #354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmunkey
How do you tell which version of the Spektrum you have? I'm picking one up today at the LHS, but it could have been there awhile..
the odds of getting one of the originals with the software issue would be very very slim at this point. BUT should that happen Spektrum/Horizon can upgrade the software for you - again IF you an old version.

at socal there have been several running the newer "mod" brushless systems and using spektrum with success but then those i've spoken with all have a capacitor plugged into the receiver to ensure constant power.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #355
Tech Apprentice

What size cap and how do they have it connected? Also, do they have the cap on the Sphere?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #356
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I was running in the same regional as theisgroup that weekend and that sunday was modified day. I put in the Sphere/Neo combo with the spektrum in 12th scale. As soon ans I nailed the throttle and tried to turn the car died and then came back to life. I noticed that saturday night when I installed it into the car and was playing around checking forward motion and braking, that the reciever's green led would go out and come back on after 2 - 3 seconds. So I ended up buying the capacito kit for the receiver and the power cap to put on the esc. i have yet installed the power cap on the esc, but the reciver cap is installed and that solved the problem for now.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #357
Tech Apprentice

Carlos, got a part number for the cap? And how exactly do youhave it installed on the Rx? Not sure I want to invest in a Spektrum if I'm going to have these problems..
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #358
Tech Regular

hi anyone know if the lrp q c 2 can handle brushless?
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #359
Tech Apprentice

Based on the Spektrum vs Sphere info here, I decided to not buy a Spektrum at this time. Soldering on a brand new $100 rx is not my idea of a wise investment. Glad I read here before I plopped down the $$$.. So, if anyone is interested, my LHS has a Spektrum NIB for $175.. I get things at a discount there, so he gave me a good price on it. Shoot me a PM if you want me to pass that deal along..

Doomah, the only BL speedo that LRP makes is the Sphere.. The QC2 is a brush only ESC..
Old 10-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #360
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmunkey
Soldering on a brand new $100 rx is not my idea of a wise investment.
the capacitor plugs into one of the four avilable slots on the receiver no soldiering is needed. if you decide to go spektrum and can not find the capacitor PM me and i will make sure you get one of the spektrum capacitors that is. unfortunately it appears that the voltage drop to the receiver is to great under acceleration load causing this problem.