R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #226
Tech Adept

Hhmm... looks like the Novak GTB will be my choice since LRP is going through their "growing pains" like Novak once did a few years ago when they pioneered the spread of sensored brushless motor technology...
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #227
Tech Legend

WoW ! I have had No problems & love the Neo for its speed and excellent thottle control....

How in the world did you get that shaft to push inside the endbell ?

That seems weird....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
WoW ! I have had No problems & love the Neo for its speed and excellent thottle control....

How in the world did you get that shaft to push inside the endbell ?

That seems weird....
I found it strange also....He has only run about 10 total packs and has gone through 3 motors. It is not the car as he has gone to 2 different cars with it and has coservatively geared the system to keep from getting too hot. The GTB with Velociti 5.5 has been bulletproof so far.
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #229
Tech Legend

From the pictures its seems the motor was overheated, thus the melted endbell....

Easy to do with a sedan......(overheat)
Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #230
Tech Elite

Quote:
From the pictures its seems the motor was overheated, thus the melted endbell....

Easy to do with a sedan......(overheat)
Temped the motor after each run at 145 degrees or less.....No way it was overheated. I run the Novak at 155 without any issues.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #231
Tech Legend

145 degree`s ?

Yet, the bearing seems melted right though the endbell.
Well, its looks like way ...

Maybe if you posted a better picture , its very fuzzy.....

Not trying to rub you wrong, just find it strange to see a melted part ....

I have at least 65 to 75 runs on my Neo already ! Have practice with it in a sedan, there it gets alot hotter even geared right.
BDW recommend max temp is 180...

If the endbell is melted, either the bearing seize up, causing the failure or the temp had to be over 240 degree`s...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #232
Tech Elite

Cherry: Not rubbed wrong at all! Nothing melted, the rotor just "came through"...My buddy is taking it apart this week to do an autopsy. He has been VERY careful not to overheat this thing that's why we've both been hitting the brushless motors with the temp gun immediately after a 5 minute heat and adjusting as needed. This one blew in a Corally RDX with a very smooth drive train so we can rule out binding. Every time he contacts Associated with questions he either gets an "I don't have an answer for that" or it takes forever for someone to get back to him. I have run teh GTB system for 2 race nights now, it has smoked evrything else on the track power wise, and I have not had to touch it once. Get's frustrating to my friend who spent a ton on his car and the brushless setup only to have to keep replacing motors.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #233
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone I just joined the site .The NEO pictured is mine. I must say I have had no luck with the two motors I bought. The intial response going through associated web site was slow( and I am impatient). I must say in defense of NEO's customer service/ tech support they have replied to all emails in a couple of days and will ship me a replacement motor after they recieve the old one for inspection. They are standing behind their product and as a consumer I cannot ask for more than that. One of the other members mentioned growing pains and I agree. For that reason I am going to give one of the new motors another chance.
mainekodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #234
Tech Elite

Time for a spiffy RDX avatar Mike!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With regards to the SPEKTRUM working the the LRP Sphere/Neo-One, I posted this a while back after some e-mail correspondence with John Adams of Horizon Hobby's SPEKTRUM Department:

"The new programming greatly improves the servo issues however when using an ESC with a weak BEC some servos still need the capacitor. The LRP ESC is the worst when used with the new KO digital servos. (especially when running 4 cells) The capacitor fixes the issue however. The Airtronics servo hasn't been an issue. I haven't tried the LRP brushless yet but supposedly LRP is improving the BEC circuit on all new controllers.

We have several Spektrum customers using the LRP brushless system successfully. It's interesting that LRP doesn't think the BEC is an issue because when I talked with the guys at Associated (the LRP importers) they said they've been trying get LRP to change the BEC (up the current rate) for several years now. Anyway it's my understanding that the new brushless system has a higher capacity BEC that is working flawlessly with the Spektrum system."

So I guess from that answer, the SPEKTRUM system isn't the problem and it's most likely a defective Sphere ESC... which more people seem to be complaining about and having different problematic issues with! By the way, what is the actual BEC number that LRP has increased? I guess the best one on this Forum who can answer all this is "burito" (Reto Koenig - LRP's R&D Manager). Please feel free to post a reply Reto!

Also, If I remember correctly, LRP recommends on their manual (in very small print) that both a fan and a capacitor are sold in a "Cooling Set" for the LRP Sphere which could help it's performance and protect the ESC from various problems. I'm not sure if this set is available yet but they should be now that the Sphere/Neo-One are finally being sold! What I find strange is that none of the magazine reviews on the LRP Sphere mentions the need of a capacitor!?!

Last edited by STEALTH; 09-27-2005 at 01:36 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #236
Tech Addict

@Stealth: the Sphere does have a 5.5V/3A BEC, which is the same regulator as most other speedos use.
We try to implement improved BEC regulators in new products, wherever possible, since some receivers (such as the Spektrum) do have issues when using high power servos.
But a small capacitor, connected to the BAT slot of the receiver, does cure the problems completely 99% of the time.

The Brushless Cooling Set is available, it has been sent to distributers a few weeks ago and should be on display in all good hobbyshops very soon. My apologies for the delay in shipping this item, leadtime for the high-performance fan was unfortunately longer then we were hoping for!

As far as reliability of the rotor, which we actually don't have many issues with, I'm sorry for the trouble that some guys had but I'm sure Associated will offer quick and free service for this. For some reason some guys have more problems then others, which we don't really understand yet since we of course do a lot of longterm testing on our end as well.

Let me know if I missed any of the questions.

Rgs,
Reto / LRP electronic
Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 AM   #237
Tech Elite

burito - Thanks for answering some of the questions... I'm sure it will at least help some of the LRP Shere/Neo-One users here.

So from what you mention... it seems you are highly recommending the use of a Capacitor with the Sphere especially when one uses it with a Spektrum transceiver and/or high powered servos like the Airtronics 94359Z ERG-VX High Torque Servos (which probably draws more voltage then regular Servos). If this then is what LRP recommends, it's my humble opinion that it should have been included with the Sphere ESC from the start (just like all of Novak's ESCs) and not that problems eventually arise from it and then this new "fix" is later sold separately!?!

Please understand Reto, many have patiently waited a very long time for the release of LRP's Sphere and Neo-One and for those who potentially damaged or got frustrated with the performance of their new product all because of not having a Capacitor on hand is a mistake on LRP's end. Yes... Associated and LRP have great customer service and will replace all defective products (especially those purchased within 90 days) but if it was already known that a Capacitor does "cure problems" as you mentioned, then by including it with the Sphere you would save customers a lot of aggravation as well as extra work that has to be done by AE & LRP electronics technicians who now end up having to repair and replace Sphere ESCs. I hope you see and understand my point in this? I guess Charlie Suangka of Novak was right in saying this on another thread:

"We will NEVER get away from big Caps. NEVER, big Caps improve performance... PERIOD. The bigger and better the Cap, the more improvement."
Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #238
Tech Legend

I`v seen many , many racer`s has issues with a Spekrum......

And, not just the ones who use Lrp ESC, but with many different ESC available including Novak....

It would seem abit unfair to think Lrp has to include a cap just for the Spectrum owner`s !
If anything Speckrum should be the ones that should provide & inform it user`s that they will need one...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #239
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

With the Spektrum (updated firmware) and a KO digital fet servo the only speedo I have tried that worked without a cap was the Tekin G10 Pro + (6v 5A bec)

The following speedos worked with 1 cap: Sphere, GTX, VFS-1 Pro, 7.1 and GT-7

The speedos below worked with 3 caps added but made the servo feel slow: Quantum, Quantum2, SX-9

In general all the 3amp bec speedos such as those from novak, lrp (excluding the quantum series) and the newer KO. Only the 5amp units worked without a cap of any kind.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 AM   #240
Tech Elite

Quote:
I`v seen many , many racer`s has issues with a Spekrum......

And, not just the ones who use Lrp ESC, but with many different ESC available including Novak....

It would seem abit unfair to think Lrp has to include a cap just for the Spectrum owner`s !

If anything Speckrum should be the ones that should provide & inform it user`s that they will need one...

Wild Cherry - First, LRP has just acknowledged that there is a known possibility that their product will not work properly with certain receivers if a Cap is not installed (possibly including but not only Spektrum's as mentioned in the post above). If LRP's competitors (primarily Novak) can do it, then obviously the cost is not that substantial to really affect their product.... especially since they are already buying the Caps in bulk anyway. Furthermore, their Customers would derive huge benefits by way of better performance from their ESCs. At the same time they would avoid aggravating those buying their ESCs (after spending $200+ I might add) that they should probably install a Cap which they need to buy separately... all this written in small print on their manual?!? Give me a break!

The benefits clearly outweigh any costs in this matter. Now if it's a business decision on their part to sell the Cap separately just to make a few extra bucks... then that is a different story and strategy. They then choose to run the risk that nothing bad will happen (even though they know that having a Cap installed solves 99% of the problems). I guess they just hope they get to sell enough Caps separately to make up for any other problems down the road with their new ESC... Well...whatever?!