R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Trinity has upgrade programs. Why even bother? Just sell your old motor and get new ones. I never stick to the same motor for more than half a season. Magnets start losing its strength(regardless of brand). Bearings need to be changed, etc.

Also, trinity does sell stators on their own. So your argument is invalid. How many Novaks saw podium in this years's Snowbirds?

Lets see how many D3.5's will be on the podium at Nat's this year!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #77
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcooper88 View Post
It is misinformation by the way and I'm not slinging it. The D3.5 CANNOT handle the temps that a Novak can, period. You got lucky with the 225, I can guarantee it wasn't 225 for long, if it had been it would have gone up. I've seen plenty of them go up in smoke at 180-190. Also, I have seen a Novak in the south Florida summer temps come off at 240 in back-to-back runs...Yes...240. You can gear them to the moon. Don't get me wrong, the. D3.5 is a great motor and it is faster than any other motor with the same FDR(for reasons why it was deemed illegal) but, you can make others run with it.
That's bs. We have 140F track temps all year round, motors run 200F+ constantly. Not just me, everyone.

We'll probably see Revtechs and D3s take podium. They are just as fast as the D3.5.
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

for all the recommendations in this thread.... just head over to amainhobbies, search for 17.5t and sort by best sellers. discount an d3.5 to get your answer. you will get many different opinions but honestly, with the right gearing and setup, you can be competitive with any motor on that site. some motors have better community support than others. if your limited on funds, get a reedy sonic, shurspeed or similar popular motor.

otherwise, these motors dont really cost all that much. its ok to experiment and find out what works for you.
I should be getting spanked as our club really didn't care about the roar ruling. most people running the 3.5. im running a gen2 high rpm and easily able to keep up if i don't hit things.
though... i have almost zero forum support for onroad with tekin. tracktime and experimentation.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #79
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's a good one......lol........
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Suspended

The racers have all been buying d3.5's when they were legal and that made it hard to get any feedback on other brands...
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default How do I say this...

Quote:
It is misinformation by the way and I'm not slinging it. The D3.5 CANNOT handle the temps that a Novak can, period. You got lucky with the 225, I can guarantee it wasn't 225 for long, if it had been it would have gone up. I've seen plenty of them go up in smoke at 180-190. Also, I have seen a Novak in the south Florida summer temps come off at 240 in back-to-back runs...Yes...240. You can gear them to the moon. Don't get me wrong, the. D3.5 is a great motor and it is faster than any other motor with the same FDR(for reasons why it was deemed illegal) but, you can make others run with it.
Hands down sir you are wrong.

I have ran Trinity motors (and other brands) for many years. There are other great brands of motors so don't get me wrong that I am only a Trinity Fan. I have ran Reedy Motors, Novak and many more. I have had my share of Novak motors have that hot ozone smell after running just over 160 to 170 degrees. I have cooked a 10.5 Novak motor in oval before and it was never pushed past 180 degrees.

My Trinity motor and my fellow racers that I race with who also run them D3, Revtech & D3.5s will handle 180+ ALL DAY LONG!!! Now with that said we should shoot for 160 or less.

Facts:
I have D3 21.5 in my sons USGT car. It has been over 200 at least 8-10 times still runs strong. (Gearing and driver issues were to blame) I have a D3.5 17.5 (We can still run them at our local tracks!) that I have pushed into the 180s often during a 6 min main for the past 2 months and still runs strong so please understand that you are simply wrong!
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #82
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
Hands down sir you are wrong.

I have ran Trinity motors (and other brands) for many years. There are other great brands of motors so don't get me wrong that I am only a Trinity Fan. I have ran Reedy Motors, Novak and many more. I have had my share of Novak motors have that hot ozone smell after running just over 160 to 170 degrees. I have cooked a 10.5 Novak motor in oval before and it was never pushed past 180 degrees.

My Trinity motor and my fellow racers that I race with who also run them D3, Revtech & D3.5s will handle 180+ ALL DAY LONG!!! Now with that said we should shoot for 160 or less.

Facts:
I have D3 21.5 in my sons USGT car. It has been over 200 at least 8-10 times still runs strong. (Gearing and driver issues were to blame) I have a D3.5 17.5 (We can still run them at our local tracks!) that I have pushed into the 180s often during a 6 min main for the past 2 months and still runs strong so please understand that you are simply wrong!
This argument can go on for days! I'm not conceding, I'm just done talking about it. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Nothing Personal

Quote:
This argument can go on for days! I'm not conceding, I'm just done talking about it. Good luck!
No personal shots. I think we can agree to dis-agree on motors and temps.
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #84
Suspended

Novak will come out with the (3/30/13) VULCAN spec 17.5t motor with legal red wire stator, 12.5mm rotor , and vented endbells for those who want the fastest pre-built 17.5t spec motor novak makes..... You can also get an outlaw version that will include a ULR stator... More choices for the OP !!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #85
Suspended

ANYBODY HERE RE-ZAPPING THEIR ROTORS ????? I HEARD TRINITY OFFERS THIS SERVICE NOWADAYS !
I WONDER IF THEY ZAP OTHER MANUFACTURER'S ROTORS TOO ??? IF SO, THEN IT WON'T MATTER WHICH BRAND OF MOTOR YOU RUN......
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #86
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
ANYBODY HERE RE-ZAPPING THEIR ROTORS ????? I HEARD TRINITY OFFERS THIS SERVICE NOWADAYS !
I WONDER IF THEY ZAP OTHER MANUFACTURER'S ROTORS TOO ??? IF SO, THEN IT WON'T MATTER WHICH BRAND OF MOTOR YOU RUN......
No matter how much zapping you do, Novak motors will still be slower.

You cannot zap past what a magnet can initially hold.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #87
Suspended

Are you saying that novak magnets are inferior to trinity's magnets ??? I thought they were the same material !
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #88
Suspended

I do remember novak selling 1300+ gauss rotors ... Trinity claims 1424 gauss maximum out of their charging system which would give them the edge in that respect.... It's only five dollars for a charge, but I wonder if they're charging all rotors... I guess Team drivers will always have first pick, and if they come to races with a dozen pre-charged rotors, they will most likely leave with a trophy, to the detriment of the poor unsponsored racer like most of us...... That's spec Racing for you......lol.....
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #89
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I do remember novak selling 1300+ gauss rotors ... Trinity claims 1424 gauss maximum out of their charging system which would give them the edge in that respect.... It's only five dollars for a charge, but I wonder if they're charging all rotors... I guess Team drivers will always have first pick, and if they come to races with a dozen pre-charged rotors, they will most likely leave with a trophy, to the detriment of the poor unsponsored racer like most of us...... That's spec Racing for you......lol.....
What part of you CANNOT charge a rotor past its initial point don't you understand?

If a rotor starts off with 1350 gauss, zapping can only make it reach theoretically to 1350 gauss again.

"Basically a rotor is like a glass of water….You can only charge or fill to the top of the glass. The meaning is if a rotor has a strength of 1424 this is the maximum we can charge. So the service is perfect for tired or very used rotors. This service can possibly recharge them to the parameters when you first purchased them."

And maximum gauss number isn't what determines the quality of a rotor.

Sonic rotor's read over 1450, yet this doesn't mean a Reedy Sonic is better than a Trinity. Other factors like diameter, bearings and stator come into play.

It is obvious you have no clue on brushless motors and can only comment on how "superior" or "fast" Novak motors are.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #90
Suspended

You don't seem to understand heat fade !!! If I attend the nats with only two rotors vs twelve( Team drivers), I will End up with less powerful rotors for the mains.....