R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #31
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Novak Ballistic with the new HT rotor (#5955) and ceramic Bearings gets my vote....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #32
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just remember to use Acetone to loosen the CA glue holding the steel Bearings in place before trying to take them out + some heat....lol...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
gom
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Default

So after looking more into the specs of each of the motor you guys suggested on this thread so far, I have come down to a few motor choices here between the Reedy, Tekin Gen2, Revtech, Thunder Power, and the Team Powers Plutonium.

However, I have notice the KV ratings on some of these motors are way higher than the average (that being 2300-2400 kv for 17.5). For example, the Tekin Gen2(high torque version) is 2400kv, Reedy Sonic is 2303kv, and Team Powers Plutonium is 2400kv. Speed Passion MMM 17.5 is at 2900 KV. And then we have the Revtech Maxzilla at 3300kv!!!

I am really bad at the electrical part of the hobby. I thought 3300kv ratings are supposed to be in the 13.5 turn range. My understanding is a 3000+KV rating motor will have much higher rpm than a 2400KV motor. How can some of these motor have much higher KV ratings and still be within the same league as the rest of the 17.5's (namely the Revtech Maxzilla)? I know I must be missing something here.
__________________
Yokomo BD5 - Yokomo BD7 - Futaba - Hobbywing - Reedy - Savox
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
Tech Champion
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,505
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
So after looking more into the specs of each of the motor you guys suggested on this thread so far, I have come down to a few motor choices here between the Reedy, Tekin Gen2, Revtech, Thunder Power, and the Team Powers Plutonium.

However, I have notice the KV ratings on some of these motors are way higher than the average (that being 2300-2400 kv for 17.5). For example, the Tekin Gen2(high torque version) is 2400kv, Reedy Sonic is 2303kv, and Team Powers Plutonium is 2400kv. Speed Passion MMM 17.5 is at 2900 KV. And then we have the Revtech Maxzilla at 3300kv!!!

I am really bad at the electrical part of the hobby. I thought 3300kv ratings are supposed to be in the 13.5 turn range. My understanding is a 3000+KV rating motor will have much higher rpm than a 2400KV motor. How can some of these motor have much higher KV ratings and still be within the same league as the rest of the 17.5's (namely the Revtech Maxzilla)? I know I must be missing something here.
There is no standard way to measure KV. Its about as useful as measuring the size of the steering wheel on a car to determine what the top speed will be.
__________________
Mike Gee

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #35
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Kv is very misleading. Watts and torque are more important....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 742
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69
Default

Revtec with HT rotor.
__________________
|XRAY|RCAmerica|Hobbywing|KO PROPO|Team Scream Motors|Gonzo PaintWorX|
DJGonzo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Revtech with high torque. I gear mine at 4.02 and use 2 ticks from full timing. Has tons of torque and my top speed is excellent. I also race on a small/medium sized carpet track. Motor comes off the track after 6-8 minutes at 135f.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #38
gom
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
There is no standard way to measure KV. Its about as useful as measuring the size of the steering wheel on a car to determine what the top speed will be.
Thanks. I'll ignore the KV ratings then.

I've only been in this hobby for a couple years. But I am shocked at the amount of numbers and ratings that are meaningless in this hobby. C ratings in batteries for example is one of them. All these numbers are really confusing the hell out of beginners like me.
__________________
Yokomo BD5 - Yokomo BD7 - Futaba - Hobbywing - Reedy - Savox
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #39
gom
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
Revtech with high torque. I gear mine at 4.02 and use 2 ticks from full timing. Has tons of torque and my top speed is excellent. I also race on a small/medium sized carpet track. Motor comes off the track after 6-8 minutes at 135f.
The Revtech is mentioned in more than half the responses. Looks like I'll have to give this thing a try.
__________________
Yokomo BD5 - Yokomo BD7 - Futaba - Hobbywing - Reedy - Savox
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #40
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

kv is a meaningful number really. It is how we rate 4 pole motors and is reasonably accurate because the kv is not effected much by timing. However 2pole motor are effected a lot by timing. Most of us rate them with low timing. Some rate them with the timing cranked up high. With the timing set the same they are all pretty close on kv.

Smaller dia. rotor gives you more kv (rpm) also, but at the expense of torque.
__________________
[email protected]
Smarter, Smaller, Faster....
www.teamtekin.com

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 03-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,191
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
The Revtech is mentioned in more than half the responses. Looks like I'll have to give this thing a try.
Order from Trinity direct! Then you wont have to buy rotor seperately.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #42
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
Thanks. I'll ignore the KV ratings then.

I've only been in this hobby for a couple years. But I am shocked at the amount of numbers and ratings that are meaningless in this hobby. C ratings in batteries for example is one of them. All these numbers are really confusing the hell out of beginners like me.
Why is the c rating on a battery meaningless?
Always thought the higher C rating the better
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #43
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Why is the c rating on a battery meaningless?
Always thought the higher C rating the better
It is meaningless because there is no standardized way to measure it, one companies 100C is another companies 50C while yet another company will call it a gazillion C. And they are each using their own proprietary imaginary way to measure it.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #44
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,191
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
It is meaningless because there is no standardized way to measure it, one companies 100C is another companies 50C while yet another company will call it a gazillion C. And they are each using their own proprietary imaginary way to measure it.
Is that like measuring 20 guage motor wire!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,368
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I love my Reedy 17.5 Just have to keep it clean. I run mine @ 35 degrees on the can and start at 4.5 FDR and test gearing from there. With the Reedy you need not worry about top speed just gear for how the car works in the Infield.
__________________
______________________________________________
Jason Deadman

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net