R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Carpet racing - spraying to increase traction? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/710410-carpet-racing-spraying-increase-traction.html)

bkspeedo 03-04-2013 05:02 PM

Carpet racing - spraying to increase traction?

Does your local carpet track spray the track with any type of traction compound to increase traction? If yes, how frequently?

What kind are you using?

Have foam tire cars had any issues with tires fuzzing and loosing traction over the course of a run?

Have rubber or foam tires had any issues with gumming up?

Do you vacuum the track on a regular bases to help with tire fuzzing and to keep cars cleaner?

When vacuuming what type of vacuum are you using, brush head or no brush head?

Carpet being used is CRC Ozite HD on top of a wood sub-floor. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

oceanhighz 03-04-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bkspeedo (Post 11890866)
Does your local carpet track spray the track with any type of traction compound to increase traction? If yes, how frequently?

What kind are you using?

Have foam tire cars had any issues with tires fuzzing and loosing traction over the course of a run?

Do you vacuum the track on a regular bases to help with tire fuzzing and to keep cars cleaner?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

At our track, they may spray the track with compound (SXT 3.0, one of only 3 we can use, but the most popular) after the layout is first put down. In my experience, it doesn't cause any gumming of the tires, however increased traction from a long day of racing will do this if compounding and heating up tires during a run (especially noticeable on rubber tires, but foams get gummy depending on the compound as well). Our track gets vacuumed after the offroad track is pulled up (down from Sunday-Tuesday). At our track which is CRC carpet, we definitely have more fuzzing up after it is vacuumed, until its been run on and sufficiently had a groove run into it. I can't comment on the type of vacuum because I don't remember, but they use two different ones. One is an old push action from the 70's-80's and the electric one I really can't remember. Hope that helps.

critterracing 03-05-2013 03:58 AM

No need to spray our track we have lots of racers putting down the juice. You can spray new carpet or new layout without issue.

What kind are you using? SXT only

Never

Not really, guys are cleaning there tires after every run. Pretty much manditory if you wanna be fast.

I try not to vacume, i blow my place out with a leaf blower. If you use a vac it has to be one without a beater brush.

The only time we had fuzzing was when i bought cheap carpet to throw on top of ozite for offroad night. Carpet pretty much fell apart. Now i use extra pieces of ozite for offroad days.

No brush

Carpet being used is CRC Ozite HD on top of a wood sub-floor. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Advice? Have fun playing with your toy cars. I love carpet racing. 973-575-0375 if you have any more questions.

Aldo

bkspeedo 03-05-2013 10:48 AM

Looking for more replies on this topic. Whether you own a track or just race there please provide feedback on what's working and what's not.

Matt M. 03-05-2013 11:10 AM

we used to spray a 2-3 foot section of the track, 1/3 of the way down the straight.....the cars will drag the compound around the track this way...and you dont use as much product

PutAwayWet 03-05-2013 12:01 PM

We used to, but stopped when we got our new carpet. Thank God (I was the designated sprayer and if you want to treat yourself to a nice aerosol-induced headache, may I suggest spraying traction compound on your race track?)

What kind are you using?

We used Paragon Traction Action, per the advice of CRC.

On the new HD carpet, none at all.

The old carpet was a disaster for foam tires. Every run we would have a fuzz ball wrapped around our axles and the tires would go to hell at 4 minutes.

But again, on the HD, we're golden.

Not really. Rubber tires are fine overall. With foam tires, sure, some compounds will gum up more than others, but that's true always. But the standard choices (Yellow/Black for Stock and Mag/Mag or Pink/Mag for Mod) work well for the whole run.

Absolutely.

Brush head.

racer robert 03-05-2013 12:05 PM

Here in Dallas we vacuum whenever there is a track change. The vacuum is a large industrial type with no beater bar just suction as far as I can tell. Also a spray is used to help speed up the formation of a groove. The spray is called traction action.