R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3
Default safety or health

well since it was posted, i thought we would all benefit from safety/health concerns when playing with our toys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Its kinda messed up how there isn't more information about this stuff in the industry.

Maybe a few less "how to make a bulb discharger" articles, and a few more "how to stay healthy while enjoying our hobby articles".

At least a few more people know now just by reading this stuff here.
so, we've figured carbon filings, graphite dust, aluminum dust, lead fumes, and flames are bad for you and those around you. so, what else might people have missed? like i didnt know aluminum dust was bad. im sure theres a few or lots of people who dont know much upon what is considered harmful anywhere outside of california.

so, to make things summarized, what is dangerous or harmful, that people tend to ignore or forget or not know about?
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I have heard that motor spray and nitro fuel soak into your skin, which probobly isnt a good thing. I dont know, after looking back I have never used gloves when working with traction compound, different oils, motor spray. I even paint my bodies indoors sometimes mainly becasue the weather doesnt permit me to do it elsewhere. Though it is kind of unavoidable to inhail(sp) solder fumes, unless you hold your breath while doing it

maybe I should take more precautions when doing things that could possibly harm me. Maybe down the road I will regreat not following some percautions.
Switch Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Car action did a pit saftey artical a few issues back.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Pretty much all the liquids we use should be used in well ventilated areas and try to avoid over exposure. Motor spray and traction compounds being the worst. If you are going to be doing some serious cleaning with motor spray use gloves. Always wear safety glasses when spraying and using CA. Graphite dust is really bad for your lungs. Paint is also. Wear respirators when grinding graphite or painting.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Tech Master

don 't forget about nitro fumes, and Aluminum grinding. You should wear a mask when dealing with these.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Old 05-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Tech Master

Aluminum usually doesn't get small enough when grinding to pose too much concern. Yes nitro fumes are not good either. The one that is abused the most would be motor spray, it has some nasty chemicals in it and most people use it without gloves and get it all over. For soldering just use a small fan to help remove the fumes. Most of the time we are only exposing ourselves for short durations. It still helps to be cautious.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
Aluminum usually doesn't get small enough when grinding to pose too much concern. Yes nitro fumes are not good either. The one that is abused the most would be motor spray, it has some nasty chemicals in it and most people use it without gloves and get it all over. For soldering just use a small fan to help remove the fumes. Most of the time we are only exposing ourselves for short durations. It still helps to be cautious.
I was at an out-of-state carpet race a few months back, and the Paragon was so strong that the whole track facilities smelled. When I came back I couldn't even do quantum physics
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

paragon, though very stonky , has been proven in checmical testing to be one if the the safest to use... people think because of the smell it is the worst.. but it is not...

i forget who did it, but someone sent all f the available types in to a chem lab.. and paragon came back tops.. the smell in paragon is wintergreen.. that honestly is not harmfull to breath...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

No matter how tasty, dont drink your TQ!
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
Aluminum usually doesn't get small enough when grinding to pose too much concern. .
If you are grinding or filing aluminum it most certainly will get small enough for you to inhail.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I wish these post came up this morning. I spent some time today grinding away on my aluminum heatsink. I just hope I didn't inhale some of the shavings.

Last edited by Pro4Capece; 05-01-2005 at 09:00 PM.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

o ya, dont forget flux, flux is very corrosive if not cleaned. The worst ive ever dealt with was burning plastic when i "lightend" one of my old tc3 chassis's. It stunk.

O ya, even though paragon is safe, it still stinks and if exposed to it too long, you will actually get a headache, like down here at snowbirds, it knocks you over!
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
I wish these post came up this morning. I spent some time today grinding away on my aluminum heatsink. I just hope I didn't inhale some of the shavings.
I wouldnt worry about it, its people that do that every day of their lives that need to take precautions. Just think of all the stuff thats made from aluminum and if any one of those produced some dust. Would need warnings regarding it on everything made from it, cans etc.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Gearhead3
If you are grinding or filing aluminum it most certainly will get small enough for you to inhail.
Yes they can be inhaled but most will get caught in the upper respirator system and expelled. Graphite on the other hand get very small and can get way into your lungs where it is very hard for your body to get rid of. In any case you should be cautious when grinding anything.

Quote:
]Originally posted by burbs
paragon, though very stonky , has been proven in checmical testing to be one if the the safest to use... people think because of the smell it is the worst.. but it is not...

i forget who did it, but someone sent all f the available types in to a chem lab.. and paragon came back tops.. the smell in paragon is wintergreen.. that honestly is not harmfull to breath...
Oil of wintergreen is harmfull
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methyl_salicylate.html
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
I was at an out-of-state carpet race a few months back, and the Paragon was so strong that the whole track facilities smelled. When I came back I couldn't even do quantum physics
You've never been to SoCal Raceway have you? That place you can smell the Paragon from the parkinglot. When I get home from a night of racing, eventhough it's usually like midnight or later, my wife won't even let me in the bedroom because my clothes stink so bad.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote