R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Lagace
At our track its 100% owned and operated by members. We have had ups and downs but this is our current price stucture:

MEMBERS: 50$ a month all u can race/practice.
Non members: 25 race 20 practice

Our only means of revenue is race/pracitce fees and canteen fees. No other income comes to us(3 hobby shops sponsor the club with donations and prizes)
Thats a pretty cool way to do things dude. In the area I race we have some people running or owning the stuff that just want to collect and get the heck out of there. Actual club racing sounds pretty cool
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ITs good and bad. With no employees you cant tell people to do anything. U 100% rely on volunteers. We have been a club for some 15+years and just in the last 3 years have we plopped down signatures for a lease on our track. We went from twice a month racing to 7 days access to 8000sqft club house.

Keeping members coming out and growing membership is our hardest job.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackKat
Thats a pretty cool way to do things dude. In the area I race we have some people running or owning the stuff that just want to collect and get the heck out of there. Actual club racing sounds pretty cool
We should get together here in the South Bay and start an asphalt racing club.
I was talking to this local Firestation that would be willing to see if the have old hoses.
I wonder how many people would show interest here in the South Bay?
Something Casual and fun.
Maybe sabotage different spots every time we got together.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Track fees are vital to the survival of any track. Weather it's an annual membership (which I think is a very good idea) or pay per race, I'm more than happy to pay pretty much any race fee that's charged. As long as the racers are treated fair and the program is run properly, track fees don't bother me in the slightest bit. We need to support the tracks. Also, if your local track has a hobby shop, you want to do everything you can to support the shop as well by buying your stuff there. Online shops are nice but the LHS is where your track is.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 PM   #20
Tech Master

Scoob: Great idea dude. If you can us a parking lot in central/downtown SJ to run near the lightrail lines that would be ideal! I'll keep an eye out.

I don't mind supporting my local club (RCCAR) which is run for racers by racers. But some of the places I've run at clearly get enough buisniess where if they sacrificed the race fees it wouldn't hurt. Then they'd get more people there for racing and the profit they'd get from the people racing there buying stuff in store would surpass the amount they'd collect on fees.

Example: A lot of 10-13 year old racers around here (who happen to break lots of stuff that hobby shops carry) arn't gonna fork out $15 to run for 15 minutes. They'd rather spend the $15 on aluminum hop-ups and run for free in the driveway!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #21
Tech Addict

practice is free,racing is 10 bucks...
yeah booooyyyyyeeeee.
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #22
Tech Champion

You still have to charge for racing. There's no good reason not to. I honestly don't think you'd get anymore racers than you already get if there were no race fees. Think about it. We pay big money to be in this hobby. $300 kits, $300 radios, $40+ for tires that last a couple weeks, $70 on a battery pack etc... What's $15 to go and race? What other hobby in the world can you go use an expensive facility for free? None that I know of. Tracks aren't cheap to build. They've got to be paid for somehow.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
We pay big money to be in this hobby. $300 kits, $300 radios, $40+ for tires that last a couple weeks, $70 on a battery pack etc
Actually a lot of us don't man

Wow, dude...Theres only one permanent, high-grade track in a several hundred mile radius of where I am. I'm reffering to the common make-shift parking-lot of a hobbyshop tracks. My bad
Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #24
Tech Champion

That's even more to the point. You want a parking lot program who has no revenue from a hobby shop to not charge for racing? How are they supposed to survive? Many of the parking lot tracks we have around here have to pay for the use of the lot, insurance, etc... RCHeat ran a program for a short time that they were charged for every car that came to the race (not RC cars, every real car that came. Many people car pooled just so the director didn't have to pay as much.) If I'm not mistaken, OC circuit has to pay the City of La Mirada a portion of every entry in order to be allowed to use the parking lot. Running races costs money and takes a lot of time and effort. They shouldn't have to do it for free.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Could it be there might be so few tracks because people will not pay the costs to have races?
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:39 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I don't think that you can look at owning a track as a business,I mean there's not really any money to make as a track owner it's more like the hobby itself,you just have to do it for the enjoyment of it,which is why there are so few tracks,not many people willing to put up with a bunch of whiny's for the enjoyment of it,not to mention all the headaches involved.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:03 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think some of the people on here should try being a small business owner for one week, business is about making money, if you think it's so easy then build your own track. Then you can worry about the upkeep on the track, changing the layout, buying your own lap counters, having someone there (usually at night or on sunday's) to run the show, ect. I do beleive that the main purpose of the track is to help the hobby shop sell more parts and cars, but you still need to charge to race. Here in my part of Florida, 10-15 bucks to race and free practice any day of the week.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

I've been down the small business owner road,but that doesn't compare to being a track owner,you can't make a living being a trackowner,that's my point.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by lastplace
track membership $50/year, unlimited practice, $13.50 to race. It's an awesome track. The lighting is second to none.
thats expensive for size of the track.

www.halifaxtrack.co.uk is my local outdoor track (indoor ones aren't permanent near me)

prices on there include BRCA membership, if your already a BRCa member you can 10 knocked off....racing is 5 for members i think (can't remember because i don't pay for my racing)
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Expensive??? $50 a yr for all the practice you can stand????

Its funny how people will sit here, order parts from Missouri to save a couple $$, kits from Europe so they get the right diff, Electronics from hong kong just to have it first, and then complain about less than $20 to support the places that actually give you somewhere to show off your stuff and actually use it....

I pay $30/yr membership, $8 a day practice, $15 race and am glad to! I also do the majority of my shopping at the track.

Before I go off on a rant....
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote