R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   carpet car: pro4, jrx-s, tc4 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/70862-carpet-car-pro4-jrx-s-tc4.html)

tc3blue 04-30-2005 12:00 PM

carpet car: pro4, jrx-s, tc4

Hello,

I currently have a TC3, but my birthday's coming up and I'd like to get a new car (more like a project car to be finished in a month or two, b/c I won't have all the electronics needed right now).

So, knowing that this car will be used only on carpet, what do you recommend from these three:

-pro4
-pro4 2005 edition (wait for it? when's it gonna be out)
-jrx-s
-tc4

Oh, and after reading the jrx-s thread it seems that it takes a long time to get the car RTR...Now I have a new airtronics 94357 servo, will I have any problems fitting it in?

Thank you guys! (you've always been very helpful)

BTW I'm only including those four cars, because it would be easy for me to get parts for them, so don't recommend any other car please.

NVisible 04-30-2005 12:52 PM

i know very little about the jrx-s on carpet so i wont touch on that. The pro4 is capable, but yes i would wait on the 05 version.

TC4 is also very capable. My buddy has one and he did quite well with it last race. very smooth, you just may need to do some shimming as there is some slop.

ChadCapece 04-30-2005 12:58 PM

Pro 4 2005 is asphalt specific. Don't spend your money on it. It will be slower on carpet then a stock Pro 4.

thecrow2k 04-30-2005 01:00 PM

I heard the 415 is good, or the tc4 maybe.

tc3blue 04-30-2005 01:20 PM

so then would you agree that bese to worst in this order (for carpet of course):

1.tc4
2.jrx-s
3.pro4
4.pro4 2005 edition

oh and the price doesn't really matter for me right now..

thecrow2k 04-30-2005 01:23 PM

If money isnt an object get a surikarn evo iii, like me ;) I run carpet on foams and its like on rails, tamed it on the first night

Nexus 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Originally posted by tc3blue
so then would you agree that bese to worst in this order (for carpet of course):

1.tc4
2.jrx-s
3.pro4
4.pro4 2005 edition

oh and the price doesn't really matter for me right now..

1 jrx-s.
2.tc4
3.pro4
4.pro4 2005 edition - don't even list this car.....it's design specifically with asphault or rubber tire racing in mind.

i wouldn't buy the TC4 since rumour is the FT TC4 will be somewhat different then the current version.

besides....the JRXS being a belt car i'm sure will be smoother then the shaft cars you listed.

i_got_m8_4_$85 04-30-2005 02:08 PM

i love my tc4- i only run it on carpet and its on rails once you find the perfect setup. when i got it i broke a few outdrives and arms but i put wide nitro tc3 bumper on it and the rpm plastic thingy on the bottom and it was fixed. if you did get the tc4 i would also sugest upgrading the bearings to metal sheilded.

tc3blue 04-30-2005 02:26 PM

thecrow2k, i can't get that car, b/c i want to have easy access to parts and my local hobby shop doesn't have parts for it.

so i think i narrowed it down to jrx-s and tc4

i'm just scared that it will take me a long time to fix some problems with the jrx kit, that i won't be able to use my batteries or that i will have problems with my airtronics 94357 servo...

and about the tc4...some people say to wait for the tc4 FT but i kinda want to get a car soon..

so considering this, tc4 or jrx-s??(using foams on carpet)

ChrisP 04-30-2005 02:44 PM

If your hobby shop is telling you they can't get Tamiya then they're lieing...as Horizon carries Tamiya parts and is the exclusive distributor for Losi.....

That being said, they can also easily get parts for Xray with a simple call/email/fax to RCAmerica...and I would HIGHLY recommend an FK05.

The JRXS looks to be a capable car. If you're worried that the JRXS is going to take some work to get your components to fit then you most definitely do NOT want a TC4. There is hand fitting and shimming required to get the parts to go together in some cases. If you want the car to be fast and free, then you need to strip down your bearings, rework your diff cases and possibly trim your gears...

The TC4 is the least expensive of the listed kits..until you factor in the Ti turnbuckles, aluminum hinge pin mounts (to help reduce slop..not just to be pretty) and the carbon kit to stiffen up the structureand add durability to the arms....

tc3blue 04-30-2005 02:57 PM

i know i can get parts for any car, but you know, it's nice being able to go from the track to the front of the store and get the part you need right away.

so i think i'm getting a JRX-S soon.

Thank you for your opinons, I'll ask the guys from the jrx-s forum some questions about the car.

axel 04-30-2005 03:49 PM

The pro4 is such a great carpet car. Every car here can be equally as fast if tuned right. It's just that i found myself liking shaft drive in my track. Faster response from motor to wheels.

tc3blue 04-30-2005 04:07 PM

oh BTW my carpet track in short, with only one straightaway and many fast turns...

the JRX-S is still OK for that right? some people say that a TC4 or pro4 would be faster?

axel 04-30-2005 04:12 PM

for tight turns i would think shaft drive is better. Qicker response again from motor to wheels. Belt is smoother and has better top end speed. In most cases belt would win in a straight. But when it comes down to tight turns both can be equal, but i prefer shaft.

Paul_TC4 04-30-2005 04:13 PM

Originally posted by tc3blue
oh BTW my carpet track in short, with only one straightaway and many fast turns...

the JRX-S is still OK for that right? some people say that a TC4 or pro4 would be faster?

I noticed that shaft drive cars do have a slight advantage on a tight track but belt cars aren't far behind. At my local track, the TC4 is a very succesful car; including mine. :D

But, I would really wait for the factory team. It should be a nice improvment.