R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #436
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

Ok, here's what we've found so far....

Weight, the standard delrin Barracuda diffs will fit with a touch of fettling. Made the car a whole lot more responsive

The standard 2 degrees of toe in for the rear can make the car a touch tail happy.... you can get more toe in using the standard hpi pro 4 rear blocks...yes they are an exact fit

We ran the car the weekend and needed 25 gms ballast weight with gp3700's and a standard p'form shell.

First impressions... very responsive and loads of steering compared to the standard R3. They sure have sorted the front ackerman now so no more worries of lack of steering throw and feel. Go get the R3 ball raced steering kit and dust covers and away you go!!!

More to follow as things get more sorted to our liking, but as said overall, looking good.
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #437
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_D
Ok, here's what we've found so far....

Weight, the standard delrin Barracuda diffs will fit with a touch of fettling. Made the car a whole lot more responsive
What kind of fettling are we talking about??? I got some spare one here that can go in right now, just need some pointers~~~ HELP PLEASE!!!
FaiLip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:00 AM   #438
sbs
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
Dave.......... oh Dave.......................where are youuuuu........
Dave...... looks like he's not here... hummmm
Any news abut Dave and he's Stinger

Team-manager
Empty Pocket RC-Team
Serpent S411 / Powered by EPRCT Motor Management
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:25 AM   #439
Tech Regular

We put the delrin halves in a lathe and took them down to the size of the new diffs.... take off about 3.5mm on the long half if memory serves me
Overall size of the two units is basically the same, just a bit of time with the calipers will get you were you need to be.
Like going on a crash diet, watch the weight drop on the car

However, we may have news on the diff front that might be useful and a whole lot lighter

When I know more on this one I will let you guys know

Failip, are you based up in Auckland??
Old 09-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #440
Tech Adept

Gazza_D Yea I am based up in Auckland? Why you asked? you been here before??
Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #441
Tech Regular

Yeah, was over in 98 originally out at Whenuapai, came back over last in 2002 to visit friends who live in Massey and West Harbour.
Caught up with Mike Jones at the Reedy Race over here as well as at last years worlds. We also met up with Darrin Campbell (think thats right) there too.

Just wondered if you were affiliated to the model shop we visited whilst over. Cant remember the name at the moment though
Old 09-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #442
Tech Adept

Cool, not sure which hobby shop you meant, maybe or maybe not.

Mike Jones, did he go to the Reedy Race and the World? Cool. I am finally going to make my first trip to the South Island to race against him and some of their local. Looking forward to show off the Stinger then.

Have anyone notice how easy it is the "standard" F/R Hub Carrier and the knuckle break? The guys that are running the Stingers have gone through like 2 each before the end of the meeting . Any problems with the graphite ones?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #443
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_D
Yeah, was over in 98 originally out at Whenuapai, came back over last in 2002 to visit friends who live in Massey and West Harbour.
Caught up with Mike Jones at the Reedy Race over here as well as at last years worlds. We also met up with Darrin Campbell (think thats right) there too.

Just wondered if you were affiliated to the model shop we visited whilst over. Cant remember the name at the moment though
It was Darren Johnston (Thats me) you met at the Worlds. Darrin Cambell is the Australian driver. Shame on you.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 AM   #444
Tech Regular

I fitted all graphite parts on my Stinger and had no problem at all till now
dhiracing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #445
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbear
It was Darren Johnston (Thats me) you met at the Worlds. Darrin Cambell is the Australian driver. Shame on you.
Sorry Darren, got confused again!! You going to make the trip to Italy next year??

BTW... havent broken anything ....yet, will see how it goes this weekend
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #446
Tech Fanatic

Nah, no chance of going to Italy next year. Too expensive. But I will probably make it to Australia a couple of times to race next year.
We are also have a big international race here in January with drivers from Asia (possible Surikarn and Hara), Australia, Europe and hopefully the States as well.
You should look at coming to that.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #447
Tech Regular

Would love to fit it in, couple of problems there, its a busy period for work with a lot of new projects about to kick off then... so no time for hols

Funds could be tight just after chrimbo, what with saving for both Euros and Worlds next year. 2 trips to Italy could be expensive.....especially with our teams ability to eat eat eat and drink drink drink too

At least I will know some racers when we eventually come back down under
Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #448
Tech Fanatic

Italy = Euro's = Expensive
Old 09-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #449
Tech Regular

Did you guys notice that using the standard kit springs, shock shafts, long plastic ends and basic settings, there is no front droop when you lift front section of the car? What I mean at normal ride height the front shock shafts are already fully extended. I will change to longer shock shafts to solve this problem so that I will be able to achieve more fine-tuning solutions

Another thing, after shimming front suspension arms and c-hubs, I managed to get no play at all whilst they still operate very freely. That is great, however still have to fix properly the steering rack. It seems that I cannot remove completely the play originating from the rack system whilst leaving it free not to hinder servo movement

Tried the Stinger only couple of times at the track and it already performs very good. Need to lighten some parts and fine-tuning now
dhiracing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #450
Tech Adept

Finally completed my very first run on my very own Stinger (and yes it is PINK). The car is increditably smooth out of the box as everyone have found. It must be the lower CG, the car carries heaps of speed through tight section and corner very well. I did 3 runs today at our local outdoor track (Albany for those that are from New Zealand). The magic number on this track is 15 laps, and I think 4 guys have done it officially. I took the Stinger (standard, no hop up) out. First run I did at 14 laps 5:15 (with a fastest lap of 21.7), it was good, the car was quick, but muchly undergeared. So I went out again to do my 2nd run, same setup, 5:08 - personal best (with a fastest lap of 21.3, before I was using my R2 Xenon and I did a 21.1) the car was absolutely flying. Then I did a few minor changes, went up 2 teeth on the pinion, and moved the rear shock bottom mount inward. My first fifteen lap, almost 5:04 14 laps but I had a few problems with slower cars who didn't pull over for me (actually whacked me once or twice, cost me around 5 seconds in total - worked on average lap before and after). But I can see the time coming with a best lap of 20.7 and a couple more sub 21 sec laps, the car was not handling as good as I would wish. I think next time out I will get that 15 laps I have been longing for.

Like dhiracing.com was saying, need to lose some weight, my car was weighing 1604g when I put it on scale at home. I think if I shave off 70 grams, I will easily get my 15 laps next time.