Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR is now accepting bids to host the 2014 IFMAR 1/10 Electric On-Road World

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'm a bit disappointed to hear this too (this news has taken a bit of my drive to run modified away). I don't think most people know what IFMAR requires in a track or why the bids that where put in where not picked. I think it would be ideal if ROAR could provide that insight to everyone....
I
wonder
why
when
what was the conculsion to there investigation

Last edited by GMartinez; 04-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattW
I find the fact that there are "no suitable venues" kind of sad.

Surely there is a decent Tarmac track somewhere, that has a decent sized sports centre close by? no? really! From what I understand of the last worlds, the 12th was at a local sports centre. I know the last big 12th race (Euros) we put on in the UK was a regular sports centre, not one that was regular used by a RC club. Oh well, it's done now, and we see what FEMCA have to offer.

Skiddins - btw, not so sure about that one! We haven't asked for any Touring car races for many years as far as I know. We did talk about Euros for 2012, but as there wasn't one that then went out the window.

It is tough to find the people to run it.

I do wonder if there are some issues with IFMAR though, certainly it's my view that there are many things not right there, the last worlds didn't leave a great taste with many people.
I believe america's crazy insurance requirements, and way too easy to sue someone laws do not make these places viable options. We have tons of them, and they are empty much of the time, its a shame..
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Disappointing, but not surprising.

I lost a lot of interest in worlds after the way tires were handled at the last one. Results from races like ETS, IIC, TITC, Snowbirds and Reedy are a lot more interesting to me than whatever IFMAR is trying to accomplish these days.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

is it going to FEMCA ?

Agree the limited tire rule did not promote racing and turned into a endurance marathon, Will they change the ridiculous tire rules for the 04 worlds ?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
is it going to FEMCA ?

Agree the limited tire rule did not promote racing and turned into a endurance marathon, Will they change the ridiculous tire rules for the 04 worlds ?
I heard a rumor that it will be back to EFRA again instead of going to the next bloc in line. The reasoning is that they want to keep the rotation schedule unchanged which makes sense because you could end up with multiple worlds in on bloc.

The situation is similar to when EFRA had the Worlds when South Africa did not work out. Then EFRA had it again the following time.

FEMCA will have the opportunity to host the Worlds in 2016 as planned.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

interesting tx Rick, lets hold thumbs that the tire rule is changed
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

From what I was told last year (as I had a call from the official drafting the rule!), IFMAR is hell bent in keeping the no additive and "less" tyres rules. That said, I understand that there were plans in place to tweak it a little.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

even tweaking might spice things up, like 2 sets for the 3 mains, that way the guys will run all 3 and 4 sets for qualies
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

As I think I have said before...shame as I would have been up for a 12th Worlds held in the US or Canada next year. Back to planning Snowbirds XX visit, and if funds allow another IIC trip.

Based on my time on the TC Committee in MattW is right Skiddins. Remember a Worlds bid needs a joint 12th and Touring bid with venues reasonably close together. And a serious war chest, a committed group to make it happen and an army of volunteers.

I'd not get back into 12th for another EFRA block Worlds. I'd rather save up for a Snowbirds/IIC meeting.

I also appreciate how luck I am to have ticked off most things on my r/c car racing "bucket list". Racing at Yatabe Arena is one of the big items left. So any Worlds held there gets my interest
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I heard a rumor that it will be back to EFRA again instead of going to the next bloc in line. The reasoning is that they want to keep the rotation schedule unchanged which makes sense because you could end up with multiple worlds in on bloc.

The situation is similar to when EFRA had the Worlds when South Africa did not work out. Then EFRA had it again the following time.

FEMCA will have the opportunity to host the Worlds in 2016 as planned.
Hi Rick
You are correct but this will give EFRA 3 WC's in a row which is a bit over the top good for people who live in Europe
But if they give it to FEMCA they would get it for only 2 WC's in a row
and this will still keep the rotation the same.
But 2018 with FAMA could still cause a big headache again.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Guys I really hope this can organised in the US. There are a bunch of Australians who are really excited to come to the US for a race worlds!!!

I know some of us have traveled to the 2010 and 2012 events in EMEA and it's just getting a little ridiculous. Cost of travel to those regions for us is simply over the top.

Regarding the cost of running a worlds event, any host club will make plenty off it. As stated in this thread already, Australia doesn't really race on carpet, but we are able to create a viable AOC event with Scotty while importing CRC carpet for a "once off" race meeting. All you really need to find is a suitable outdoor track, and build an indoor track at a nearby basketball stadium. Entry fees alone will cover costs, not to mention tire revenue or any corporate sponsorship.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JordanC
Guys I really hope this can organised in the US. There are a bunch of Australians who are really excited to come to the US for a race worlds!!!

I know some of us have traveled to the 2010 and 2012 events in EMEA and it's just getting a little ridiculous. Cost of travel to those regions for us is simply over the top.

Regarding the cost of running a worlds event, any host club will make plenty off it. As stated in this thread already, Australia doesn't really race on carpet, but we are able to create a viable AOC event with Scotty while importing CRC carpet for a "once off" race meeting. All you really need to find is a suitable outdoor track, and build an indoor track at a nearby basketball stadium. Entry fees alone will cover costs, not to mention tire revenue or any corporate sponsorship.
Come to the Reedy race next month, in California!!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not really any clubs that have the manpower for this. The for profit tracks that would be suitable for touring car are mostly not located near a carpet facility, and most convention centers or sports buildings big enough are gonna cost quite a bit of money to rent out. Unfortunately cash is king over here.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Ok, let's compare it to Tennis at the Olympics then for which the players aren't paid.

Games Venue, Surface
1896 Athens, Grass
1900 Paris, Grass
1904 St. Louis, ?
1908 London, Grass
1912 Stockholm, Grass
1920 Antwerp, Grass
1924 Paris, Grass
1988 Seoul, Hardcourt
1992 Barcelona, Clay
1996 Atlanta, Hardcourt
2000 Sydney, Hardcourt
2004 Athens, Hardcourt (DecoTurf)
2008 Beijing , Hardcourt
2012 London, Grass

Most of the world plays on Hardcourt, but the French and Spanish play mostly on Clay, and the English play mostly on Grass. When the Olympics is hosted in those countries they tend to play on the surface that is most commonly used in that country (at the time). It's just a matter of whichever surface the most suitable venue in the host city has.

I don't see why RC should be any different. In fact I think the EP OFR WC rules should be changed to allow Grass and artificial surfaces so as those in Europe and the UK get a chance to race at the Worlds occasionally on the surfaces they are familiar with.
are you seriously trying to compare a meaningless "worlds" toy car race to the Olympics. well ok then
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This whole situation, in fact this whole thread, is a perfect example of why ROAR has membership and support trouble. You mean to to tell that a facility like Tamiya USA's in CA or the huge track they run UF1 on in Texas couldnt support a world-class race? Cant just rent a convention center and roll out carpet like the Snowbirds? The bond should have been posted by ROAR. Have they no confidence in what the racing that they "sanction"? Obviously not.

I've been racing for several years. Other than coming up with rules that no one follows, and the decals you see on LiPo batteries, what the hell do they do? The RC racing hobby grows and strives to survive at the grassroots level. The clubs, their members, and tracks supported by hobby stores are what gives us a place to race. Not some mystical sanctioning body that exists on paper. ROAR contributes little (except controversy and dissapointment) to the hobby. Please.

I love the use of the word "bloc" in reference to ROAR. Sort of like a communist bloc.

The two hottest classes in on-road RC at the moment are Mini and F1. Both, in most situations, reflect TCS rules do a degree. I hate it, but 1/10 Touring Car in North America is dying and ROAR isn't doing a thing about it. At my local tracks, TC represtents the smallest portion of the cars that show up. Mini, VTA, and F1 usually outnumber them 4 to 1. In some areas like around Chicago USGT is exploding with awesome racing and huge turnouts.

Why cant ROAR get a clue?

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.