R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Air Compressor PSI for Cleaning (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/70721-air-compressor-psi-cleaning.html)

scoobydo 04-28-2005 08:44 PM

Air Compressor PSI for Cleaning

So I am getting an air compressor to quicken the cleaning time of my TC and Buggy.
I know 150psi (which seems to be the max) can knock the dust off an ATV, but what is good enough for my TC?
I saw a really inexpensive one that is rated at 40psi.
I need something powerful enough to clean caked on dirt from my offroad. Is 40psi enough?
Any of you guys got info or brands?

Arun 04-28-2005 08:46 PM

I like using 75-100 psi on my electric TC. It works very well, and is not near the pressure needed to mess anything up. 40 is going to be too little; I guarantee it.

burbs 04-28-2005 08:57 PM

try it and see what works best... thats the only real way.. some comressors are diff then others..

scoobydo 04-28-2005 11:12 PM

Originally posted by burbs
try it and see what works best... thats the only real way.. some comressors are diff then others..
only way to try it would be to buy it and I don't want to be buying something that doesn't work.
However, is 100psi seems to work, I guess I will search for something in that range.

burbs 04-28-2005 11:21 PM

ahhh.. most places where i live hve a demo model setup to try.. sorry ..

Hyper1 04-29-2005 01:56 AM

The one I have is 100-120 PSI and has a little handle so I can take it with me to the track.Got it at harbor freight for $90.

scoobydo 04-29-2005 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Hyper1
The one I have is 100-120 PSI and has a little handle so I can take it with me to the track.Got it at harbor freight for $90.
What brand and model is that?

Hyper1 04-29-2005 10:26 AM

It is a central pneumatics model # 90168

factoryteamryan 04-29-2005 11:53 AM

Check your local Wally-World. They carry a 2 gallon Campbell Hausfeld (good brand) that is perfect for RC use be it cleaning or airbrushing. Up to 100 PSI with built-in regulator, all for $69 back near the automotive department.

Edit: Meant to say that this unit is small, little blue and black one - built in handle and all, great for carrying around to tracks, etc - barely bigger than a toolbox.

Hyper1 04-29-2005 04:17 PM

I had one of those and it lasted all of about two years and quit working, took it apart to see if I could fix it but the cylinder wall was so worn out that it was useless.The one I have now is the same size,just wanted to try a different brand to see if it lasted a little longer.

jw92656 04-29-2005 05:02 PM

I just picked one up from Sears. It is the Craftman 3gal 150psi? I am using it for airbrushing, and cleaning. $100 on sale.

scoobydo 04-29-2005 07:09 PM

Originally posted by jw92656
I just picked one up from Sears. It is the Craftman 3gal 150psi? I am using it for airbrushing, and cleaning. $100 on sale.
That sounds sweet! I'll check it out.

Originally posted by factoryteamryan
Check your local Wally-World.
What the hell is a wally-world?:lol:
I'm sure it's like a local hardware store right?
It just sounds like Chevy Chase and John Candy should be working there!:lol:

Thanks for the info guys.

Charlie O 04-29-2005 07:27 PM

Are you talking about a portable to take to the track? or one you would use at home? no campbell hausfeld for me had several 7 they all leaked at some place some where no matter what i did, went to coleman got a 11 gallon upright, for home 125 psi & a 2 gallon 100 psi never a problem with either. the 11 gallon is around 130.00, & the little 2 gallon is about 40.00 at pep boys.

N4S 04-29-2005 08:05 PM

Its all in what you want to do with it. I have had a couple different 2 gal. units one being the camble housefield wich is an oil-less head design. good for air brushing due to being oil-less , but life span was less than a year using it almost every weekend.If you are using it for cleaning the cars buy the craftsman from sears..... It will cost you around $119.00 and they run sales on it for $99.00 . It is a oil lubricated head and they last forever (as long as you maintain the oil level) I would not recommend airbrushing with it unless you add a good quality air filter. It also has a regulator built in wich is adjustable to give you what ever pressure you want from 0 -150 psi.

lickrim 04-29-2005 08:52 PM

STUDY

BACK IN THE 60'S THE MILITARY DID A SIDE BY SIDE STUDY OF TWO WORK SHOPS BOTH DOING THE SAME MACHINE WORK..
OVER A PERIOD OF A YEAR ONE SHOP USED A SIMPLE BRUSH TO CLEAN DEBRIS FROM THE MACHINES, THE OTHER USED COMPRESSED AIR THE SHOP THAT USED THE BRUSH HAD NO BREAK DOWNS, THE OTHER HAD MANY (bearings mostly) machines go to repair... what im saying is the air you think is cleaning your car is being forced into place (BEARINGS) AND OTHER PLACES THAT RUIN MOVING PARTS...THE BRUSH IS BEST ..OH YA THE SHOP WITH THE AIR WAS SHUT DOWN DO TO MUCH REPAIR COSTS...
150 PSI INTO A SMALL BEARING YOULL GO RIGHT THROUGH THE OUTER SEAL....FOOD FOR THOUGHT