R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 1 cell lipo booster!!! Which one?

I know the question is kind of repetitive but most threads are from a few years back! Here are the ones I'm considering.

1) TQ racing
2) Novak
3) dynamic RC

Here's the table setting as you will for my WGT

RC10R5
Teken rs
Trinity Epic 13.5
Ko servo PS 2174 hv
Lipo Booster????????

Please if you reply to this post be descriptive in why you like which one your picking.

Dream Killr Racing

/// Rover /// Wanderer /// Nomad /// Vagabond ///
Slapstick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Use the TQ booster. Straightforward installation, and very reliable.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapstick10 View Post
I know the question is kind of repetitive but most threads are from a few years back! Here are the ones I'm considering.

1) TQ racing
2) Novak
3) dynamic RC

Here's the table setting as you will for my WGT

RC10R5
Teken rs
Trinity Epic 13.5
Ko servo PS 2174 hv
Lipo Booster????????

Please if you reply to this post be descriptive in why you like which one your picking.
I run the TQ and love it, set it and forget it. My first one lasted 5yrs and I just replaced it with a new one. I did not like the first Novak unit, too bulky and seemed to have issues. The new unit is smaller but I have seen three of those go up in smoke. Could be that the users did something wrong in the wiring, just not sure. I have not used the dynamic so no info there.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The TQ and the latest Novak are both great. The Novak one is tiny and really easy to buy from many online sources.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I know quite a few people with the RC Dynamics booster.

Was good enough for a worlds 1/12 A Final as well (Elliott Harper)

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

the rc dynamics booster is the onlt booster that puts 6 volts to the receiver, all other boosters only give 5 volts to the servo. 5 volts has always been enuff for me, plus I always run neg. expo on steering anyways.
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I use the Novak one myself. When I was using a Novak speedo, I had to use it - or nothing else would work on 1s. When I switched to Hobbywing speedos though, the bec - even on 1s - powers everything just fine on 1s. No booster needed. I've moved the Novak booster over to my legends car, which has decades old electronics in it, to help smooth out the glitching.

Are you totally set on running the tekin speedo? Otherwise the Hobbywing, Orion, and Castle speedos all offer 1s models that will allow you to skip the booster.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Castle's 1cell spedo needs a booster or pack.

I have a novak, no complaints but i only have maybe 1hr of use on it.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Thank you to all for your comments and experiences. A new thought came to mind while speaking to a fellow racer on the west coast. Why not a receiver pack? Short of forgetting to charge it , the pack supply's the servo and all the 1 cell goes to the motor. Wouldn't I want to get as much voltage to the motor to maximize Proformance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1 View Post
I use the Novak one myself. When I was using a Novak speedo, I had to use it - or nothing else would work on 1s. When I switched to Hobbywing speedos though, the bec - even on 1s - powers everything just fine on 1s. No booster needed. I've moved the Novak booster over to my legends car, which has decades old electronics in it, to help smooth out the glitching.

Are you totally set on running the tekin speedo? Otherwise the Hobbywing, Orion, and Castle speedos all offer 1s models that will allow you to skip the booster.
Well nothing's ever set in stone as you know. I own a few high end lrp's as well as rs's. I was trying to utilize what I have.

Dream Killr Racing

/// Rover /// Wanderer /// Nomad /// Vagabond ///
Slapstick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Why not a receiver pack? Short of forgetting to charge it...
That's the reason I don't use a receiver pack. I've forgotten to charge it on more than one occasion, not to mention it's added weight you don't need. Using the booster is a more convenient solution, and you probably won't notice the difference between 5V and 6V powering the electronics, IMO...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you to all for your comments and experiences. A new thought came to mind while speaking to a fellow racer on the west coast. Why not a receiver pack? Short of forgetting to charge it , the pack supply's the servo and all the 1 cell goes to the motor. Wouldn't I want to get as much voltage to the motor to maximize Proformance.

Well nothing's ever set in stone as you know. I own a few high end lrp's as well as rs's. I was trying to utilize what I have.
a voltage booster will be lighter and more forgiving if you forget to charge the receiver pack. the rcdynamics really looks like the class act, but hobbyking's booster does the job for $4

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_for_BEC.html
for me, this has been every bit as reliable as the tq booster, but you need to add a switch etc if you want.

the best small lightweight switch i have found is the hitec. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Switch-Harness

yes, i am using an $8 switch to control a $4 booster
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
a voltage booster will be lighter and more forgiving if you forget to charge the receiver pack. the rcdynamics really looks like the class act, but hobbyking's booster does the job for $4

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_for_BEC.html
for me, this has been every bit as reliable as the tq booster, but you need to add a switch etc if you want.

the best small lightweight switch i have found is the hitec. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Switch-Harness

yes, i am using an $8 switch to control a $4 booster
Lots of these bosters being used in our club with great success. I us a DPDT ( dual position/dual throw) switch. It is 2 swiches in one case so it will turn of and on both the booser and speed controller at the same time. They cost me $1.50 each but I have to solder on the wires.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I/ve been using the Novak Booster for several years works fine and I don't have to remember to charge the reciever pack or if it false charges. I've never seen a booster go up in smoke and I've been to alot of races and seen alot of things go up in smoke .
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I can only speak for myself here, but when I ran oval open ESC with a Tekin using a booster the steering always seemed to have a shake and wouldn't center properly. What I found to work best in my case was a life pack.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Pretty much everyone in our club uses those cheap boosters. They work just fine and cheap enough to keep a couple spares around.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote