R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #1291
Tech Initiate

Thanks rcnewb2004,

I have the latest version 107 loaded but not the 107b with the capacity problem fixed...I dont thnk that will solve it but it worth a shot.
It worked fine since I got it and just started now recently...thanks man
trf junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #1292
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tough guy
Default pc connection

I had problem doing updrade too. download didn't work .It connected , showed upgrading but never finish ,then there was just blue screen .I called spintec, they said the unit will go to pc mode automatically even u messed up the download. So I switched to another computer ,I downloaded the firmware on the computer and bingo. connected , firmware upgraded.
So my advice is try different computers with xp. Some users said Vista is slower then xp and have lots of problem. Hope this help.
tough guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #1293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Erik

When can we expect the LiPO function to be available for the ICC. It does everything else so well and this is the final feature I really need

thanks
Ben
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #1294
Tech Rookie

Default PS out of Range troubles

I have a new Spintec ICC and charged 3 packs with the charger, but on the 4 pack I continued to get an error to check the voltage after starting the charging process for the 4th pack.

So with that happening I attempted to charge the pack with the external charger and attempted to run a motor on the external and I was given a different error telling me, "Error, please fix problem to continue: PS out of range".

The ICC is hardware version 1.2, firmware is 1.5. I placed a volt meter on the power supply while running the ICC and in the system settings, the PS reading jumps from the 7 volt range up to 9 volts and never is stable at any one setting. The power supply stays a solid 13.68 volts with my readings of the volt meter attached while reading the ICC volt readings.

The fan is running almost all the time, but during the first 3 packs that I charged, the fan did not start until the pack was in the charging stages. I am adding this information, as it is another change I am experiencing since the "PS out of range" started happening.

I have not done any upgrades to the ICC, since I was waiting until the USB version of the PC cable was released. If my cure is to do an upgrade to the firmware, I will order the serial version of the PC cable and then apply the upgrades for the ICC.

Appreciate the help,
Chris
Btil Entrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 PM   #1295
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

Bit off the topic about the pc connection, but nevertheless a new problem with the charger. I have had it for about 3 month or so and last week whilst cycling my batteries discovered a new problem. After turning on the unit, as soon as I pull the battery lever the screen blanks out, chargers still going but can't see anything. After rebooting it comes up fine but once again after pulling the lever or touching the dial, screen blanks out...
To overcome this problem I had to switch off the charger, install the battery, power up the unit.....SUCKS! not designed that way
Anybody have this problem or possibly advise on whats going on???
Loose connection?...., dry connection?.....or beginning of a expensive disaster?

to quote myself above,..any help here, def. not a software issue...
Hey Erik where are you or any spintec guy...please help!
trf junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #1296
Tech Apprentice

hmm i've had that issue since i upgraded to 1.7b (which is very buggy)

But it doesnt seem as bad as yours... Only sometimes when I return to my charger (after its finished) when i got to touch the dial to see the numbers the screen blanks out and I have to turn it off like you said. But this isnt very frequent and seems to happen more if i leave the charger for a long period of time (turned on)
monstercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #1297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default quality of spintec icc charger

I own one of these chargers and while I like the idea behind it, the quality and design of the charger leaves much to be desired. As a recap:
1) the spring post solder design is by far the worst design I have seen on a charger or a discharge tray.
2) the accuracy of the unit is suspect because the top left side heats up very quickly while charging throwing off the temp settings. On my charger the # 1 cell almost always peaks first at temp cut-off
3) unless you set the temp cutoff very high, it is difficult to get a voltage cut-off
4) still no lipo after 1 year of promising it
5) 5 battery memories with 4 of them prenamed, so you can't name your own
6) upside down battery design, the + and - are the opposite of every discharge tray on the market, why in the world would you design it like this?
7) charger is useless if it is hot outside because the temp sensors become inaccurate (with the latest firmware)
8) for a product that has sold modest quantities, the reports of problems are troubling (granted people usually post to complain, but the design defects are obvious.)

I bought my charger for 1/2 price of the new one, and I find myself using my ice charger more than this one because of the problems and limitations with this charger. Again, the idea is great, the implementation is seriously flawed.

My suggestions for version 2.0 of this charger:
1) don't built the temp sensors into the tray. Have 6 magnetic temp sensors that attach to the cells (there is too much chance of air in the cell-sensor contact area)
2) have a seperate charging tray from the main unit to eliminate the heat issues.
3) use the trinity dpd, muchmore, or integy 030 tray design that works much better, doesn't break and is more secure
4) if you are going to have an external charging jack, put a temp sensor onto that jack
5) have at least 10 user programmable memory slots for charge settings
6) get rid of the motor run in features unless you can make it bulletproof. There is too much chance for overload and shorts. With brushless coming on, the days of lathes and motor break in will end.
7) ADD LIPO ASAP.

If these suggestions are implemented, you will have a usable high end charger. As it is now, you have a great idea with questionable engineering and quality, without LIPO and with a $400 price tag. By the way, I have seen almost every charger on the market in the pits, and have only seen 1 other person with a spintec icc. This could be the price, but the ce turbo 35 is also close to $400 and every other person has one of those. The main difference is that the ce t35 is bulletproof, while the spintec is not to say the least.

All of the people that defend this charger defend the idea behind it, not this implementation of that idea.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #1298
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I own one of these chargers and while I like the idea behind it, the quality and design of the charger leaves much to be desired. As a recap:
1) the spring post solder design is by far the worst design I have seen on a charger or a discharge tray.
2) the accuracy of the unit is suspect because the top left side heats up very quickly while charging throwing off the temp settings. On my charger the # 1 cell almost always peaks first at temp cut-off
3) unless you set the temp cutoff very high, it is difficult to get a voltage cut-off
4) still no lipo after 1 year of promising it
5) 5 battery memories with 4 of them prenamed, so you can't name your own
6) upside down battery design, the + and - are the opposite of every discharge tray on the market, why in the world would you design it like this?
7) charger is useless if it is hot outside because the temp sensors become inaccurate (with the latest firmware)
8) for a product that has sold modest quantities, the reports of problems are troubling (granted people usually post to complain, but the design defects are obvious.)

I bought my charger for 1/2 price of the new one, and I find myself using my ice charger more than this one because of the problems and limitations with this charger. Again, the idea is great, the implementation is seriously flawed.

My suggestions for version 2.0 of this charger:
1) don't built the temp sensors into the tray. Have 6 magnetic temp sensors that attach to the cells (there is too much chance of air in the cell-sensor contact area)
2) have a seperate charging tray from the main unit to eliminate the heat issues.
3) use the trinity dpd, muchmore, or integy 030 tray design that works much better, doesn't break and is more secure
4) if you are going to have an external charging jack, put a temp sensor onto that jack
5) have at least 10 user programmable memory slots for charge settings
6) get rid of the motor run in features unless you can make it bulletproof. There is too much chance for overload and shorts. With brushless coming on, the days of lathes and motor break in will end.
7) ADD LIPO ASAP.

If these suggestions are implemented, you will have a usable high end charger. As it is now, you have a great idea with questionable engineering and quality, without LIPO and with a $400 price tag. By the way, I have seen almost every charger on the market in the pits, and have only seen 1 other person with a spintec icc. This could be the price, but the ce turbo 35 is also close to $400 and every other person has one of those. The main difference is that the ce t35 is bulletproof, while the spintec is not to say the least.

All of the people that defend this charger defend the idea behind it, not this implementation of that idea.
I know from closer experience that Erik is doing everything he can to keep improving the ICC. Also he designs a lot of things mainly from what he experiences, and looking at a lot of Dutch drivers, the can fit the batteries in it without the upsidedown problems. Also looking at the number of drivers here owning a ICC, it's the opposite of what you experience. I think around half of all drivers own one, and are very satisfied with it. And of course their are still some problems with the charger, but at least Spintec does their best to improve the product the whole time. Other companies just put their middlefingers up saying wait till the new one comes out.
In fact I don't know a lot of chargers with which you can edit the names of the memories, the only I had with that possibilities was the Novak Mil. Pro. Which in fast was one of the worst chargers I've ever had.

I think Erik is doing an excellent job with the ICC, and although there are some problems, in a year or so it will be the best charger available (by far).
Rick Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #1299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default experience in the netherlands

Since the spintec is a dutch product, I would hope that the home country would use a lot of them. Same for lrp vs novak in europe and in the us. I know erik is working on the issues, and development is not simple, but this charger has issues plain and simple. The biggest issue is the spring post design. Any engineer knows that you DO NOT USE SOLDER to hold a connection in a stress point. No other charge or discharge tray on the market does it this way, they all use screws. As for reversing the + and - orientation, if you flip the battery over with standard bent battery bars to solder wires to, the cells would not contact the temp sensors.

In terms of naming charge memories: all ce products, duratrax ice, most integy chargers and most chargers with multiple memories let you name battery settings.

AGAIN, the idea for the icc is good, the implementation is full of flaws. I paid $200 for the charger with the computer cables, and in my opinion, given its limitations, it is not worth that. A discharge tray and a duratrax ice charger would do an equal or better job at charging. For the $400 that spintec costs in the us, you can get a trinity dpd discharge tray ($100), a team checkpoint tc1030 charger ($160- same as ice but backlit and more functions,) and a duratrax ice charger ($120). For these 400 dollars, you would have 2 world class chargers that can do lipo, etc, and a discharge tray that can do 30 amp pulse discharges on each cell.

I am not trying to bash the icc, I own one and wish it was better, but I am calling a spade a spade.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #1300
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well ive named mine paris hilton, the hottest thing on the market, a little bit rough around the edges, but boy shes got the goods inside,and i love her.
lignum vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #1301
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Help!

I seem to remember a diagram that showed 'how to create a jumper' to allow the charger to charge 5 cell packs.

Within that diagram; it called for 100 ohm resistor to be place in-line. Does anyone know the specs of that 100 ohm resistor?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #1302
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I agree it is not worth $400 USD for its problems. But now I am very satisfied with what it does with my old battery packs. The updates have definitely improved the ICC into a now usable product.

I would however like upgrades to happen more frequently... although I know this is easier said than done. Truth is, I waited a year after buying the ICC before things like temperature/peak/low voltage problems were fixed. Also, I would like to see Erik back on the forum... but I have not heard from him for a year... I realize he is probably busy, but customer service seems slow and sometimes would like a representative here to help out with quick questions and stuff... just one a week or something.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #1303
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Within that diagram; it called for 100 ohm resistor to be place in-line. Does anyone know the specs of that 100 ohm resistor?
Any will do, there is nothing going thru it anyways.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #1304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i dunno if this has been posted, but this is very "sleek" looking

RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #1305
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I spoke with Erik 2-3 times this week. He has made good on my ICC problems... Shipping it back to the Neatherlands this week sometime. He was very responsive with emails once he answered them. I asked him about lipo functionality.. he said it was in testing and hopefully before the end of the year we would have it. My faith has been restored in Spintec.

Chad
ChadL is offline   Reply With Quote