R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #931
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

CEFX is a very nice track. I hope to make it to the Nats next year.

Is it me or does every spec sheet for the IIC show a 10 amp max charge rate. And 7 is the most mine would go to.

I have emailed Spintec a couple weeks ago and no reply on some other questions. It seems that the Spintec guys do not show on this forum now that the charger is having problems.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #932
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Nick_Malinoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robd347
Got mine back a week ago from Horizon Hobby with the same problem. ICC smoked while using the motor run, KOS 27 was shorted. You are right there is no over amp protection on this charger. It took about two weeks turn around and charger was exchanged for a new one, no repaires were made. Next time you come to CEFX look me up.
I have the same problem and Erik told me to send it back to him for repair, can I just send it to Horizon instead? that would be cheaper and quicker than sending it back to Erik.

Thanks,
Nick Malinoski
Nick_Malinoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #933
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sluggo Send a message via MSN to Sluggo Send a message via Yahoo to Sluggo

It seems the more I use this charger the more problems I find. I'm starting to question all the money I spent on this charger. I ran a motor on it the other day and when the amp draw got higher it just went wide open and the screen read all zero's and I couldn't shut it off! I didn't check to see if anything was toasted yet but I'm really questioning everything I'm reading about more and more problems. May be time to get the GFX fired back up
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #934
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I never shut mine down :-)
TeamGoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #935
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Malinoski
I have the same problem and Erik told me to send it back to him for repair, can I just send it to Horizon instead? that would be cheaper and quicker than sending it back to Erik.

Thanks,
Nick Malinoski
I asked my LHS that today. He said Horizon let him return 1. But from then on it was thru Spintec. So I am shipping it out tomorrow.

I do hope it comes back with the proper protection. And some good board joints. Or a redesign.

So far this is becoming a quality problem charger.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #936
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Nick_Malinoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I asked my LHS that today. He said Horizon let him return 1. But from then on it was thru Spintec. So I am shipping it out tomorrow.

I do hope it comes back with the proper protection. And some good board joints. Or a redesign.

So far this is becoming a quality problem charger.
I will check with my LHS.

Thanks!
Nick Malinoski
Nick_Malinoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #937
Tech Champion

Well after $31 and some change. Mine is off across the pond. This will be the last oversea charger I get. Or any other type of item that may need service.

Sure wished Tekin would make something like this charger.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #938
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah.. they need to get a U.S. service agent the way LRP hooked up with Associated.
TeamGoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #939
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sluggo Send a message via MSN to Sluggo Send a message via Yahoo to Sluggo

Well ...Chalk up another one for a blown up external circuit. I just tried to run a motor and it was just wide open and then tried to charge a pack and said it was done in like 5 seconds! ..... I did get ahold of the hobby shop I had got it from and he said he was gonna call them and send it back right away. I'm not sure who he is dealing with but I'll find out soon enough. Back to my old trusty GFX 35 I'll post when I hear more.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #940
Tech Adept

even if it dont work, still take it to the track, it looks great and you will get respectk
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #941
Tech Adept

Lightbulb spintec icc

sounds like the old victor chargers.Good ideas ahead of the rest but durabilty problems.Can't beat CE
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #942
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to B&B Racing
Exclamation Charging Errors

Ok guys, here is a new problem that happened to me today. I was running the 4-cell stock 1/12 scale class today. We have 3 qualifiers and then the main. I charged up my first 2 qualifier packs @ 5 amps without any problems. Packs took in the expected amounts and did not generate any errors. My 3rd qualifier pack also ended without any errors but the mAH seamed a little high. I thought that it might have been just a deeper discharged pack than I expected and continued on. Since it was quite a ways off until my main pack was needed, I waited before starting to charge it. While repeaking my qualifier pack, I noticed that the voltage was low! I upped the repeak amperage to 5 amps and the voltage remained low. At this point I feared the worst, an uncharged pack. I upped the amperage again to 6 amps and did peak charge the pack just before my race. When I got back, I had started the charge on the main pack. It showed that there was a total of 3200 mAH in the pack but the cell voltage was 1.12V and the cell temp was 62 F. I quickly took the pack out and restarted charging the pack on another charger. I thought that maybe the charger was confused and powered it down. After powering it back up I discharged a pack @ 10 amps and it completed as expected. I then tried to charge a pack and watched the voltage. It showed me that the charging voltage on a completely discharged pack was 8.11V! This was charging at 5 amps. The cell voltage was showing 1.12V. I checked the external charging and it seamed to be working. Anyone else see anything like this? Oh, version of 1.6 firmware was installed last Sunday. The unit came with version 1.05 installed.

djb
Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #943
Tech Champion

It is possible you are seeing the bug in the software. If the pack peaks the mah will still count. And the voltage remains low. When I saw this the first time with 1.06 I thought my pack was bad. But it was the software of the charger.

I hope they get these things fixed on this charger. I sent mine in last week for a blown motor run. I do hope they fix the protection for it. I am going to add in a fuse in line on my leads when I get mine back. I think 10 amp will work. I hope.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #944
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to B&B Racing

Can you guys get to Spintec's web site?

http://www.spintec.nl/

Just checking to see if it is me or them.

djb
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #945
Tech Champion

I can not get to it myself.