R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 AM   #856
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
wow. it really amazes me what lengths people go to just to charge batteries. end of day, does it make you go faster?

i would think the time/money spent on using a laptop, etc etc would be better spent just practicing.
The laptop/PC is used to update firmware on the charger, nothing else.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #857
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
wow. it really amazes me what lengths people go to just to charge batteries. end of day, does it make you go faster?

i would think the time/money spent on using a laptop, etc etc would be better spent just practicing.
True to a point. I guess it depends on how competitive you want to be as if you gain 1 tenth a lap then it was well worth it plus this charger is no different than guys showing up at the track with 2 or 3 CE Turbo 35's.

I would think that a charger that chargers each indivdual cell to its fullest capacity sure can't hurt anything. I would think it would give maximum performance from each pack. No two cells have the same charge length/discharger length so why charge as a pack. Not sure if this charger is the best or not but like all other comapnies they are trying something different. I think it is just like owning a CTX discharger, Wave, of the new Trinity single cell dischargers but for charging.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 AM   #858
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Those that question the reason for this charger have no idea what your packs are like. new matched packs are close. But the matching needs to be close also. The numbers that is.

if you have older packs, you are not getting the full potential from them. not all cells peak at the same time. You will have undercharged cells when you charge at a 3mv cutoff on any other charger.

By the way this is a charger that can charge 2 packs at the same time, discharge each cell up to 10 amps and can be adjusted down. It can run a motor and charge or discharge at the same time. Think about it. For the price of 2 Ice chargers and a tray that can discharge up to 10 amps. And can be upgraded. this is a great charger!

The only high drain discharger you would need is a reactor 30. You do not need a ctx-d. The spintec can tell you how your packs are at charge. The track will tell you how they are as you discharge them.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #859
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just charged the first pack on my new Spintec (ver 1.05b).

I charged a new 4-cell SHV IB 4200 pack using 6.0 Amps, 3 mv, 120 deg F.

Cell #1 vented !

The pack seemed to charge correctly, but I checked the temps while the pack was still in the charger. The Spintec was showing the temp of the cell at 120 deg F. -- I checked the upper surface of the cell with my Carlsen infrared temp gun and the temp gun showed a temp of 150 deg F. (the cells felt warmer than 120 F.).

Why are the temps shown on the Spintec almost 30 deg F. LOWER than when you measure the upper surface of the cell with an IR temp gun ??

Anyone else seeing this ?

Thx.
TeamGoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #860
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes they all do that - it's normal. Heat rises... and the fan on the unit is underneath the batteries.

PS: Did you discharge the cells to .90v before charging??
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #861
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Yes they all do that - it's normal. Heat rises... and the fan on the unit is underneath the batteries.

PS: Did you discharge the cells to .90v before charging??
YES -- before charging, I discharged the pack to 4.00 Volts on my Turbo 35 GFX, and then put the pack on my Novak Smart Tray SE (cut-off at 1.0 V for each cell).

I have seen posts here where other users are having problems with venting 4200 cells too -- is charging them at 6 amps the problem ?? why ???

Thx.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #862
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I charge mine @ 5.5 amps
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #863
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench
I just charged the first pack on my new Spintec (ver 1.05b).

I charged a new 4-cell SHV IB 4200 pack using 6.0 Amps, 3 mv, 120 deg F.

Cell #1 vented !

The pack seemed to charge correctly, but I checked the temps while the pack was still in the charger. The Spintec was showing the temp of the cell at 120 deg F. -- I checked the upper surface of the cell with my Carlsen infrared temp gun and the temp gun showed a temp of 150 deg F. (the cells felt warmer than 120 F.).

Why are the temps shown on the Spintec almost 30 deg F. LOWER than when you measure the upper surface of the cell with an IR temp gun ??

Anyone else seeing this ?

Thx.
I had this problem with mine as well at first. I went to 2mv per cell and put the Temp cuttoff at 105 degrees. I took some out of the unit that said they were 120 and could hardly hold them. Checking the cells (top and bottom were no different) they were 145-150. I think the temp side of the charger is not to accurate so I adjusted mine to where it would come off around 120 on my temp guage and didnt have any more problems.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #864
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
I charge mine @ 5.5 amps

OK -- I can certainly do that. I'm just wondering why charging at 6 amps with the Spintec causes a cell to vent, while charging at 6 amps with a Turbo 35 GFX or Pulsar 2 charger doesn't do that ??
Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #865
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I had this problem with mine as well at first. I went to 2mv per cell and put the Temp cuttoff at 105 degrees. I took some out of the unit that said they were 120 and could hardly hold them. Checking the cells (top and bottom were no different) they were 145-150. I think the temp side of the charger is not to accurate so I adjusted mine to where it would come off around 120 on my temp guage and didnt have any more problems.

EA

OK -- thanks for the tip -- I'll do the same.

Are you charging at 5 amps or 6 amps ??

Thanks !
Jeff.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #866
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
OK -- thanks for the tip -- I'll do the same.

Are you charging at 5 amps or 6 amps ??

Thanks !
Jeff.
I charge at 6 amps when using the Spintec. I charge at 7 when using anything else.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #867
Tech Regular

OK.. so I wonder why that cell vented ??? If I had used 2 mv instead of 3 mv cut-off and a lower max temp (105 vs 120) I wonder if that would have prevented it ???

Also -- where can I get an interface cable to update to 1.06 ? Horizon is showing they won't have any until LATE JAN. 2007 !!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #868
Tech Adept

Quote:
OK.. so I wonder why that cell vented ??? If I had used 2 mv instead of 3 mv cut-off and a lower max temp (105 vs 120) I wonder if that would have prevented it ???
Like many people above I'm have turned down some settings when using the ICC. I use 5.5A with 42 degees C (105 F) and I have no problems anymore.

I had never a vented cell. I've seen others who used 6A and 120 F with vented cells. New technology needs to time to get used to.
MBreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #869
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreve
Like many people above I'm have turned down some settings when using the ICC. I use 5.5A with 42 degees C (105 F) and I have no problems anymore.

I had never a vented cell. I've seen others who used 6A and 120 F with vented cells. New technology needs to time to get used to.

Thx. I'll set the temp cut-off back to 105 and the voltage to 2 mv. Good thing I used a "disposable" pack for the first test charge :-)

Anybody know where I can buy an interface cable to update to 1.06 ???? Horizon shows they won't have them until Jan 2007 !!??!!!!!

Thx.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #870
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreve

thats mine setting marc ... well almost.... i have minium 41.5 deg and cutoff 43 deg
Geforcy is offline   Reply With Quote