R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I have peak temp set to 130 and no problems.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:18 AM   #707
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-dub
i see some discussion regarding temps on here. is there any way to disable the min/peak temp settings?
Don't disable the min temperature. It's one of the settings that prevents false peaks.

Remember, the ICC has to be 6 times more accurate. So it has an elaborate program to detect the right cut-off moment. Min, temp is one of those settings. Setting it higher as Dodgeguy says helps for sure!
MBreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #708
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

had a chance to play with mine over the weekend.

good bench performance so far, i really like the single cell mah/temp/voltage readings. i am using 3mv cutoff at the moment and the cells get noticeably warmer thant hey do on my other chargers (pulsar, orion, ce, etc). 'eyeballing' the voltage though, it looks like everything is working properly. i will probably try cutting back to a lower cutoff.

i haven't had a chance to test external charger/run-in yet, not in a big hurry. here are my thoughts after bench racing session 1.0.

likes: individual cell charging (duh!) AND monitoring, as well as discharging. backlit display is decent and the menus are easily navigatable. firmware updates and computer interface look nice (i have not had a chance to use it yet though). dual function charger, though not icc on both. still can run in motors and charge which is REAL nice.

dislikes: 10 amp discharge and unit gets real HOT discharging. case fan is next to useless. unit is comparably larger than most new chargers, but you have to take into the fact the battery sets IN the unit. polarity is opposite of the novak tray (bleh, 3 hours of soldering later....). would like to see a knurled dial, not just with one depression. closing the cell holder lifts the pack slightly off of the temp probes. need to push pack back down for best fit. still wondering if temps are correct (was about 10' off of my handheld temp probe measuring the top of the cell).

would like to see: infrared cell temp probes (not sitting on 'bendable fiberglass arms'). pylon style cell connectors (ala some discharge units). auto cell count detection. ability to disable cell temp monitoring. 12-pin din for external tray (optional) to do reverse wired packs or built in reverse option. pc cable included. scroll option to run through the time/voltage/mah/status windows automatically. the cell tray sealed better so debris doesn't fall into the charger. better fan/cooling (suggestion: 2 side fans blowing across the chargers fets/heatsink on the inside).

the only 'bug' i found was when i put in a 4c backwards and received the voltage/polarity warning. i immediately turned the pack around and restarted the charging process. the voltage started to increase, but the mah count was not going up. i power failed the unit and it appears to be working fine.

summary: i do not think i will be able to feel a few mv on the track. i do plan on doing some charge/discharge cycles and compare the performance with other packs to see if there really is a difference. contrary to the lengthy list of disklikes, i'm pretty impressed with the unit so far. looking forward to playing with it some more.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #709
Tech Elite

IS there ahy news from Spintec as to when I will be able to purchase an ICC in the UK???

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #710
Tech Regular

Heres my response from Helger UK

Hello
The charger is now being produced and we have samples here in the UK. We have them on oder with Spintec and should get them very soon The retail price is £274.99

Thank you
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #711
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
Heres my response from Helger UK

Hello
The charger is now being produced and we have samples here in the UK. We have them on oder with Spintec and should get them very soon The retail price is £274.99

Thank you
£275....Holy Fu.....
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #712
Tech Adept

My Spintec I.C.C
Attached Thumbnails
spintec I.C.C charger-cimg5668_resize_resize.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-cimg5671_resize_resize.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-cimg5672_resize_resize.jpg  
Kingcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #713
Tech Adept

Pimp my ICC!

I like that sticker on the dial.
MBreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #714
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

D*mn your ICC looks HOT!

Might have to adjust your peak temp settings

Ok that was lame....
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:12 AM   #715
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm if a Robitronic Pro Master PC Cable work as a substitute? Saves me from buying the ICC cable.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #716
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Erik Jonk....I sent you an email over a week ago at your request and yet to get a response. Did you get it?

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #717
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

had some time with it now and i'm really liking. the batteries were getting REALLY hot at first charging in an ambient temp of about 78-80 at 5a with a 2.5mv cutoff. packs were reaching 130+ and an occassional cell venting. i played with the cutoff and actually am most happy using 0mv. i haven't had ANY false peaks (probably 20-30 cycles) and the packs temp is hitting the high 1-teens, low 1-twenties (118-122)...which to me feels just about right for that charge rate.

i don't think i'll be able to feel a performance change on the track, but after seeing how cells become unmatched after just a few cycles, i believe that the individual cell charging will increase longevity as cells are not being forced to turn excess amperage into heat while other cells with more capacity are still peaking. a few of my ib3800's, with probably 15 cycles through them, have cells that differ by as much as 200mah already.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #718
Tech Initiate

im verry intrested in the ICC, it looks so hot =)
i have a question about it, can you feel the diffrent betwen a battery who is charged with a regular charger and one ( same battery) who is charged with ICC?
EnÖ_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #719
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Seano

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-dub
had some time with it now and i'm really liking. the batteries were getting REALLY hot at first charging in an ambient temp of about 78-80 at 5a with a 2.5mv cutoff. packs were reaching 130+ and an occassional cell venting. i played with the cutoff and actually am most happy using 0mv. i haven't had ANY false peaks (probably 20-30 cycles) and the packs temp is hitting the high 1-teens, low 1-twenties (118-122)...which to me feels just about right for that charge rate.

i don't think i'll be able to feel a performance change on the track, but after seeing how cells become unmatched after just a few cycles, i believe that the individual cell charging will increase longevity as cells are not being forced to turn excess amperage into heat while other cells with more capacity are still peaking. a few of my ib3800's, with probably 15 cycles through them, have cells that differ by as much as 200mah already.
So basically you are using the temp peak only? I would assume 0mv cutoff means that the delta peak is turned off altogether? What temp settings are you using?
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #720
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnÖ_Design
im verry intrested in the ICC, it looks so hot =)
i have a question about it, can you feel the diffrent betwen a battery who is charged with a regular charger and one ( same battery) who is charged with ICC?
After the first charge on the ICC you can't feel any difference.
But after a few charges i feel my old packs perform better!!

Rob.
Rob Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote