R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #361
Tech Regular

do this experiment.

charge a single cell and discharge, do this 5 times and let it rest a few hours between each cycle. record what the battery accepted in mah.

you will find the results something like this on a new gp3300

first charge: 3900mah
2nd charge: 3800mah
3rd charge: 3900mah
4th charge: 3700mah

results: even on an the SAME individual cell, they peak at different times on each cycle.

Conclusion: you will actually get a more UNMATCHED packs by charging individually.
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #362
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiweeldman
I contacted Competition Electronics and asked them if they were going to come out with a charger like this, or maybe one that does li-po, and this is what he wrote.

Hi Scott,
We have tested individual cell charging on packs every time there has been a major advancement in cell technology. Even though it is perceived as the ultimate way to charge, there is no benefit. I take 2 new matched packs and assemble them, then begin cycling once per day for 15 cycles. One pack is charged conventionally in series, and the other using 6 chargers to charge each cell individually. After each cycle the results are recorded. Since both packs have the same specs. it would be easy to see if one method was having a better effect. Then after the 15 cycles, the process is switched on each pack to see if the results differ. The readings are the same, actually the one originally charged conventionally then switched to individual went down a little bit but not enough to really matter. I connected a voltmeter to each cell in a pack as it was being charged conventionally and all cells did drop back before the pack peaked. I expected at least one cell would not drop back but all did at least some amount. Due to the high cost of manufacturing this type of charger and the lack of real performance results, we have elected not to design one.
As for the Li-po charging, we are working on adding this to the GFX at this time. It should be available in a few months as a program update. I see this cell technology being accepted into racing eventually.
Regards, Jim Bailey

So I guess if you buy matched packs, this type of charger has no big gain over charging conventionally.

-Scott
Oh well....I was thinking of whether this or the Orion Advantage carbon version for my 2nd charger...

Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #363
Tech Rookie

I can agree on the relatively small benefit which the ICC has on newly matched packs

I think the effect will really show itself after a couple of cycles when your pack starts getting older.... i have old matched packs which behave very differently then when they were new.
Erikderaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #364
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikderaaf
I can agree on the relatively small benefit which the ICC has on newly matched packs

I think the effect will really show itself after a couple of cycles when your pack starts getting older.... i have old matched packs which behave very differently then when they were new.
Everything behave very differently then when old...Including us....

But the price is way off my budget...Sad to say,but I was interested in it till the price issued strucked.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #365
Tech Rookie

It's exactly what i was thinking, this charger is good for old pack and for matching your pack.
Lozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #366
Tech Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikderaaf

thats what they want you to beleive and then people are easily led.

take for example the battery manager, they said it revives old practice packs blah blah blah...

i had some gp3300's, that charged only to 3000mah, so these would of been perfect to test out. well after using the batt manager it didnt do anything in terms of run time. it does however do a deep discharge to below 0.9v/cell (tested it was around 0.3v/cell) so obviosly when it takes more out you can put more energy back in, but it does NOT give back lost run time from a older pack, only gives the impression it gives more run time.

if i charge straight after using the battery manager it does give a few 100mah more. but if you disharge on a regular dishcarger and tray it, then charge it again it would only go back to the original 3000.

actually i had a few packs of near new stickpack gp3300's that were cahrging to 3600 before i used spintec and after using spintec it now only charged to 3000!!! i sold it soon afterwards
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #367
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
do this experiment.

charge a single cell and discharge, do this 5 times and let it rest a few hours between each cycle. record what the battery accepted in mah.

you will find the results something like this on a new gp3300

first charge: 3900mah
2nd charge: 3800mah
3rd charge: 3900mah
4th charge: 3700mah

results: even on an the SAME individual cell, they peak at different times on each cycle.

Conclusion: you will actually get a more UNMATCHED packs by charging individually.
Oh well we obviously don't speak the same language. I'll step out the conversation and let you to it. Oh I'll have one simple advice : just do the same, if you're not gonna buy their stuff just don't come here.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #368
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
thats what they want you to beleive and then people are easily led.

take for example the battery manager, they said it revives old practice packs blah blah blah...

i had some gp3300's, that charged only to 3000mah, so these would of been perfect to test out. well after using the batt manager it didnt do anything in terms of run time. it does however do a deep discharge to below 0.9v/cell (tested it was around 0.3v/cell) so obviosly when it takes more out you can put more energy back in, but it does NOT give back lost run time from a older pack, only gives the impression it gives more run time.

if i charge straight after using the battery manager it does give a few 100mah more. but if you disharge on a regular dishcarger and tray it, then charge it again it would only go back to the original 3000.

actually i had a few packs of near new stickpack gp3300's that were cahrging to 3600 before i used spintec and after using spintec it now only charged to 3000!!! i sold it soon afterwards
You don't know what you are talking about, so stop littering this thread. There have been numerous tests done by people to show the effects of the Spintec BatMan. Go do some actual tests yourself, then maybe you'll figure out that how many mah go into the cell during charge is not that important
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 AM   #369
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
You don't know what you are talking about, so stop littering this thread. There have been numerous tests done by people to show the effects of the Spintec BatMan. Go do some actual tests yourself, then maybe you'll figure out that how many mah go into the cell during charge is not that important
Totally disagree the BatMan works great....
I DS and don't care how low the Batman takes the packs down to.
My new packs that I have had for four and half months are still race quality packs since I have used the BatMan. Now do I think the BatMan is going to bring back what you have already lost welll not really....
But since I used the BatMan from cycle #1 I have used it and my packs last longer and keep there IR low and there Voltage High.....Runtime again not as important to me...
Doing some test without DS'ing and so far same benifits the packs stay at the top of list of race packs...LOL...Now I have 12 race packs instead of 6 race packs and 6 practice ones...It is quite nice.
Now about the ICC I think you better wait and see...
I do not think it will give you like the best packs in the world but I do think it will keep your matched packs matched longer and give you the best possible charge. Now if I am not buying $220.00 every three months on new packs and can make that go out to every six months that means this charger pays for itself in one year. So to say it has no real benifit would be inconsistant on what we know about batteries....I think you will see more chargers with this type of technoligy.
Lets all wait and see and stop bashing.
-SHookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #370
Tech Rookie

Well my opinion again.

as i still believe overcharging at high amps is bad, done measurements and on older packs the peak voltage do differ and new packs are more the same

got the luxury of a intellipeak ice which graphs the charging process, on new cells it is much nicer than on old.

i still believe spintec makes great products and that's not because the owner of the company has the same name as me.
the batt-manager seemed an expensive toy for me but from what i've heard from my friends it DOES work and the same i read here on the forums!

Am now waiting on the much more discharger with 30 amps puls discharge and the opionions about that one...

If the wheater is better tomorrow i'll go and look/drool on a ICC...
Erikderaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #371
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the Battery Manager uses "coolflex" technology that decrystallizes the cells thus improving punch and lowering IR. on the web site it states that it will maximize runtime... NOT INCREASE IT. it will work with what the battery already has and make sure you can use all of it as much as possible.

back to the ICC thread.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #372
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Totally disagree the BatMan works great....
Why do you disagree with me? I'm all for the BatMan...whatever.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #373
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
Why do you disagree with me? I'm all for the BatMan...whatever.
im pretty sure he misread it. right shook?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #374
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
im pretty sure he misread it. right shook?
YUP YUP....sometimes my eyes move faster than my brain...its the old age...LOL
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #375
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Oh well we obviously don't speak the same language. I'll step out the conversation and let you to it. Oh I'll have one simple advice : just do the same, if you're not gonna buy their stuff just don't come here.
WORD ! .....I'll second that !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote