R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #346
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For $390 I would pass, actually for over $300 I would pass. With 3800 batteries I do not run into any runtime issues. Sure it would be nice to fill each cell to capacity and if it came out under $300 I would probably pick it up but to me it isn't $200 better than the Much More. If it was able to discharge at 30amps I would say it was worth a $399 price tag, but unfortunately it discharges at the same amps as $100 chargers.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #347
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yes, it only discharges at 10 amps but it discharges each cell individually and gives a readout of each cell when it's done so you can tell how well your packs are still matched. I think it's premature of everyone to be complaining about the price here in the states when we have don't have a firm price to complain about. If you don't like the price then don't buy one, it's that easy.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #348
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
yes, it only discharges at 10 amps but it discharges each cell individually and gives a readout of each cell when it's done so you can tell how well your packs are still matched.
A $50 discharge tray from integy discharges each cell individually at 30 amps.

Quote:
I think it's premature of everyone to be complaining about the price here in the states when we have don't have a firm price to complain about. If you don't like the price then don't buy one, it's that easy.
Or come here and provide input, from a customer standpoint, before pricing is announced so a company can gauge customer feedback on pricing before final pricing is established. If you don't like the input, don't read it.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #349
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam
A $50 discharge tray from integy discharges each cell individually at 30 amps.
yeah, right down to 0 volts, not good for IB's. and you have no idea what kind of runtime or the quality of the match is.

Or come here and provide input, from a customer standpoint, before pricing is announced so a company can gauge customer feedback on pricing before final pricing is established. If you don't like the input, don't read it.
I can see spintec now, "well this new charger is gonna cost us $300 to make but those guys on rctech won't pay over $300 so we're gonna have to lose money on each one". Granted I have no idea what they're profit margins are but I don't think they're going to be making a killing on this charger.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #350
Tech Elite

I don't know how much they cost to make either, but companies all over the world utilize focus groups or seek input that asks potential customers what they would be willing or expect to pay for a product.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #351
Tech Rookie

Charging each cell individually help to match cells because you are sure to have full charge when you measure the discharge (individually of course).

But i have a question : your pack statistics are lowered to the individual statistics of you worse cell right ? if you have a very bad cell in a pack, even if others cells are in top condition, your pack will not have good statistics.

I read in this post that this charger will make your car faster, or your pack better but i'm not sure of that.

To have 100% in each cell will not make your pack better, it just help to match your pack (and make better pack if you remach all your pack).

Or peahaps someone explain me if i'm wrong ?
Lozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #352
Tech Master

if you have a very bad cell that peaks way before the others, then your pack will peak because that cell has been overcharged, whilst the others aren't charged. So not only does it damages the bad cell and makes it worse, but you're using a pack with 1 overcharged cell and 5 not fully charged ones, which means they will provide less voltage and punch than they should be. The I.C.C. makes sure no cell is over - or under - charged.

So it won't make a shit pack awesome, but it will allow it to give its best, and for many more runs than with a standard charger. Of course if you want good performance you want correctly matched packs, which will have less discrepancy in charging time, so the gain in that case will be lower.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #353
Tech Initiate

Lozit,

That is correct BUT, once the bad cell has peaked and the charging has stopped all of the other cells will be not be fully charged so you are dragging the whole pack down to its level. This charger will continue charging the other cells till they are all peaked and therefore at their maximum potential.

Sure the bad cell will go flat first but you got the maximum voltage possible from the pack. Some cells also take charge more efficiently than others and as you know older packs seem to take more power to be fully charged. Some cells in matched packs will go out of match as it were.

Think of it like keeping all of your cells matched at the fully charged part of the cycle as opposed to the flat (discharge tray) end of the cycle.
This is the only method of keeping LiPo's matched as you CANNOT flatten them. Soon all of our thinking will end be to match at the charged end of the cycle!

It is expensive because it effectively monitors 6 cells at once not one pack.
Smartarse88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well it might be an improvement and it might not.... no one really knows until we try it. If it is a lot better than $400 isn't outrageous. I personally have my doubts on weather it will be noticeably better. I asked a rep from a well known charger company about the concept and he told me the idea has been around since the early RC days... and when his company tested the concept they found no performance benefit. I guess we will find out in April
Personally I can buy a whole lot of fresh packs for $300-$400... and I don't care what you say, a fresh pack is the best pack to race with.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #355
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
and I don't care what you say, a fresh pack is the best pack to race with.
If the pros do it, then it must be the best way!

XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #356
Tech Master

I personally like the fact that you can do two things at a time : charge in the tray and run a motor in. I'm very tight in space when going racing and I don't have a motor checker for that reason, this is the charger for me !

As for buying new packs, i agree but 1: there is no need to buy new packs every 3 months, I'd rather do something else with my money. I actually have 3 race packs and 3 practise packs, every 6 months or so I buy a new set of 3 packs and sell the practise packs. If the I.C.C. allows me to have practise packs in better condition i'm happy.

How long do you keep your chargers and how long will it take until the packs you bought amount to the price difference between this charger and the one you were going to buy ? If you're happy with your charger then keep it there's no point, but if you need a new charger this looks like a good investment to me
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #357
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

any pics?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #358
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman
any pics?
At their website, including the manual and the first firmware update
Old 01-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #359
Tech Rookie

Today i saw a dutch shop stating that the first ICC's are in.

link: http://www.rcshoproal.nl/autoinfo/spintec_icc.html although i don't think most of you will understand our beatiful dutch language (jazeker!)

price 349 euros, think it's quite a high price... am a bit in doubt...

was planning to stop by the shop thursday when they get the T2 spares in...
Erikderaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #360
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I contacted Competition Electronics and asked them if they were going to come out with a charger like this, or maybe one that does li-po, and this is what he wrote.

Hi Scott,
We have tested individual cell charging on packs every time there has been a major advancement in cell technology. Even though it is perceived as the ultimate way to charge, there is no benefit. I take 2 new matched packs and assemble them, then begin cycling once per day for 15 cycles. One pack is charged conventionally in series, and the other using 6 chargers to charge each cell individually. After each cycle the results are recorded. Since both packs have the same specs. it would be easy to see if one method was having a better effect. Then after the 15 cycles, the process is switched on each pack to see if the results differ. The readings are the same, actually the one originally charged conventionally then switched to individual went down a little bit but not enough to really matter. I connected a voltmeter to each cell in a pack as it was being charged conventionally and all cells did drop back before the pack peaked. I expected at least one cell would not drop back but all did at least some amount. Due to the high cost of manufacturing this type of charger and the lack of real performance results, we have elected not to design one.
As for the Li-po charging, we are working on adding this to the GFX at this time. It should be available in a few months as a program update. I see this cell technology being accepted into racing eventually.
Regards, Jim Bailey

So I guess if you buy matched packs, this type of charger has no big gain over charging conventionally.

-Scott
iiweeldman is offline   Reply With Quote