R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #31
Tech Initiate

Gustav,

yeah sorry I always use mm to measure the timing so I dont even know why I'm talking degrees! Basically there in 3 degrees to 1mm, so 12 degrees in 4mm and so on.

The springs I suggested are medium hard pt no 41392 and hard pt no 41393.

Rookie Solara,

Its not the easiest thing to describe. Basically what I mean is ignore the label and scribe your own mark on the opposite side of the can and endbell. This is easy to do on the can as zero is right in the center of the ident. On the enbell, file or scribe a little notch exacty 180 degrees opposite the standard one. The easiest way to do this is remove the endbell and the srews and use a straight edge to determine the center point (the straight edge should line up with the original mark and through the center of the two endbell srews) then scribe the line. You can then use these to measure the timing using a soft tape measure........or as Jon Kerr said, buy a timing Jig!!

The pics may help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endbell 1.jpg (28.8 KB, 228 views)
Spud_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

and the other...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endbell 2.jpg (30.5 KB, 286 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 04:21 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply Steve
Pro Models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Spud_J
and the other...
Spud...........picture better then thousand words, another great example............greatly appreciated.
Except........now, my head is completely confused between degrees and MM.....or MM over degrees, or........what the heck I am talking about here now....?

Again, thanks...........or once again, 8x1 motor, what is your recommandation of timing for using on outdoor touring..? 4mm or 4 degree?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

No probs mate!

Best thing to do is forget degrees altogether, but like I said, 1mm of timing = 3 degrees. In the pic I posted it is set on 5mm so that would be 15 degrees

I if you go back in this post a little I list a pretty good 8 turn setup there and I listed everything there in mm.

What sort of size is the track as that makes a big difference to what timing and ratio I would run?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:27 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KREATOR1

Quote:
Originally posted by SuPerDraGon
Hi

You can start at around 8.6~8.8 at timing on the 3rd line.
Feel the speed down the straight and adjust the ratio.

tried this . Awesome dude
KREATOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Spud_J
Dragonfire,

24mm/rpm for that wind is about spot on I'd say on a small circuit - works out to around 8.6/1 with normall rubber tyres.

I'd have to slightly disagree with the timing though. Whilst I do prefer running a fair bit of timing and it will make more PEAK power on the dyno with more timing you have to factor a couple of things in.

The first is heat through a race duration and 24 degrees on a wind like and 8x1 is a little excsessive and it shouldnt need it if its geared correctly. Oscar has always suggested we run around 6 - 10 degrees on 7 turns and around 8 - 12 degrees on 8 turns. I do setup our motors with slightly more than that but not as high as 24 degrees (except 12 turns)

The second is where you want the power. High timing and low gearing is suited to very small circuits. Lower timing and taller gearing is suited to longer circuits with sweeping corners

Tuning a motor to a higher timing will increase punch, decrease duration and it will be need to be rebuilt more often - hence you need to run shorter gearing to take advantage of it. It will also decrease the top end potential of the motor because it is setup for high amp draw. When you are at the end of a straight it's usually the point when you are pulling the least current and so this is why it decreases your efficiency.

All that said, electric motor tuning is a trade off and what you gain in one area you will loose in another - its all about maximising the effect of the gain for a given circuit.
Normally I would agree with that but...

I did a few dyno runs on a couple of motors the other day. I did two runs on each motor and used the avg for my figures. The surprising thing was that ALL the numbers on both of the V2 motors I tested IMPROVED with more timming. This was a robo dyno so it does have a flywheel. Surprising to me was the efficency and torque increased with higher timing. I now run all my V2 motors on the 4th mark and adjust gearing accordingly.