R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I don't think you'll need to go much stiffer than blue fronts ansilver rear though...
Do you think I should prefer thicker anti-roll-bars over harder springs to make sure the chassis stays flatter in corners?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #77
Suspended

Smile

With low roll centers, I really use droop to make the Car stay somewhat flat in turns, not stiffer anti roll bars. The goal is to get the Car flat with the CG as close to the ground as possible in the turns, and if you put stiffer roll bars, the Car will stay flat but won't go down at all in the turns, high CG ,and will cause traction roll... If on top of the stiffer roll bar, you increase droop, the CG will actually rise in the turns and cause even more traction rolling... The best would be to run a semi soft roll bar with soft springs and very little droop(1mm) so the Car will get down(lower the CG) in the turns, and still remain somewhat flat..... It is really the balance between droop , roll bar, springs, roll Center that makes the Car turn the way it should, slightly tilted and low to the ground.... If you upset that balance with stiffer bar only, you will increase your chance of traction rolling, and lose corner speed...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #78
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Fastest lap with TC6.1WC is 10.92s. If I could manage a 11.2Xs on saturday it will be a good start.
I just came back from an extensive test day. The car was good today, but a little exhausting to drive. The track wasn't the best in the morning. I needed two or three batteries to reduce the laptimes from 11.7s to 11.1s. Then I started with setup work. I tried different caster angles and ended up with 5*. Harder springs, AE red in front and AE copper in the rear brought the greatest achievement of the day by pushing the fastest lapimes down to 10.9s. A little more camber helped the feeling too, but I couldn't focus after the sixth run.

The good news of the day is that I could undercut my personal best laptime on the track, a 10.92s driven with the TC6.1WC by a hundredth of a second to a 10.91s with the 4WS. This was no single lucky lap. Before I managed several 10.9Xs laps

For the upcoming drives I want to concentrate on a constant, more easy to drive setup and another tenths. The 10.8s lap is what I want now!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #79
Tech Master

Default Another test day

Today I tried a lot of things to make the car less exhausting to drive.
I tried anti-roll-bars, springs, shock oil, pistons and axle shims. The track was slower than it was on saturday. I couldn't lap under 11.1s this time. I am not sure why. It seems that the laptimes drop when the outside temperatures drop below 20C...

I started to prepare the 4WS for the silver TC6 anti roll bars first. I refreshed the shocks, the suspension geometry and the tire loads. With silver anti-roll-bars and a 1000cst/6-hole-piston-shock setup I started the first two runs. The 4WS was easy to control and fun to drive. What I didn't like is the lack of mechanical grip.
The hard copper and red AE-springs didn't harmonize with the silver anti-roll-bars. Soft springs and hard anti-roll-bars always brought an advantage on races, so I tried AE silver all around. The 4WS came to live immediately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNUek...ature=youtu.be

Then I was curious what other oil (400wt) and pistons (3 x 1.15mm) would do. The car felt more connected with the surface, but the overall handling didn't change like the lap time. Around that time I realized that today the track would not allow new fastest laps. The strategy now was to make the car more nice to drive.

Axle shims were next on my list. The car looked awesome fast on the racetrack with 3mm wider track. The lap times didn't change for good I removed them and put the AE red springs in the rear (silver stayed in front). The car turned better without getting loose. The first 11.1s times of the day. Hard work!
The best change was the black anti-roll-bar in front which made the 4WS more agile and joy to drive.

I will again compare 6 C-hubs to 4 C-hubs next time and make a comparison run against the 6.1WC. What also gives room for tests is the front/rear weight balance. My 6.1WC has a 60/40 balance with more weight in the rear, while the 4WS has an opposite weight balance...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #80
Tech Rookie

All I can say........ Wow.
JAG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Impressive!

This is a great project! Really looking forward to the completion.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #82
Tech Master

Nothing technically new today. Just a new body which allows my eyes to follow the car better in the dark of our hall. The semitransparent dark blue body was OK for outdoor, but indoor it offers not enough contrast to judge the finest car movement on track. And as I had a can fluorescent yellow from an older 4WS body left, I decided for this design:

Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #83
Suspended

Very good observation about body colors ! All my bodies are fluorescent or highly visible from a distance....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Nothing technically new today. Just a new body which allows my eyes to follow the car better in the dark of our hall. The semitransparent dark blue body was OK for outdoor, but indoor it offers not enough contrast to judge the finest car movement on track. And as I had a can fluorescent yellow from an older 4WS body left, I decided for this design
Awesomeness.

Can't disagree about the color thing, I've painted all my bodies fluoro yellow for years until I found out that plain white was cheaper, a touch lighter and quite faster to do.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #85
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default xray is onboard

looks like team xray has been following your progress:

http://www.redrc.net/2014/05/xray-ac...ension-teaser/
5tylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #86
Tech Regular

WTCC,

Wow! I'm really impressed with your 4WS touring car project. Your tenacity and attention to detail is very well done, without a doubt. I'm the guy that posted a 6-wheel F1 project (roughly 1 year ago) here on rctech (I am a F1 nut). I am still working on it but haven't finished yet because of my countless hours at work, not to mention all the projects I have around the house (honey dew list, LOL). I still plan on completing it soon (hopefully) but had to let you know how much I am enjoying "your 4WS" project. Again, my hat is off to you with your awesome work!! Keep up the good work.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #87
Tech Master

@5tyles: ^.^ they are not as radical as my 4WS, but you are right, the outcome is very similar, subtle but it will increase steering only in high grip environment. So for the normal clublevel racer it will be not very useful...

@all4fun: I can feel your "pain". Since I bought a house, I am back to 16 hour working days... If I have an hour I am using it to prepare my cars for a coming track visit. That is also one of the reasons why my 4WS is nonexistent right now. I sold my TC6 and added the 6.2 to my collection. Nevertheless, the 4WS isn't dead It will be back for the winter season. The time when my 6.1 retires after its overall win of the club championship (if everything goes as planned). Then I will assemble everything again ^.^