R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How Popular is cheating at your track? Do you Cheat?

I am relativity new to the On Road scene and saw a similar thread to this one on Off Road site.

How prevalent is cheating with on road? What are some of the penalties you have seen imposed at large races? How do some of your club races handle the violators when caught?

Pretty sad this is a topic concerning racing toy cars.
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I have never cheated in 23 years of racing.

We caught one guy cheating in about 2001. We kindly asked him to leave and not come back. He was running a 12turn armature in a stock motor. I think he still finished 5th or 6th in the race.

We now call him FT.

It's not how you stand next to your car, it's how you race your car.

http://www.dynamichobbies.com
TheZoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run D3.5's in my cars... (We are having a grace period at our track until the summer series starts, so everyone else is cheating until then as well )

Offroad : Xray XB4 - Tekin Redline 8.5 Gen2 - Tekin RS Pro
NateRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateRug View Post
I run D3.5's in my cars... (We are having a grace period at our track until the summer series starts, so everyone else is cheating until then as well )
If there is a grace period then its not cheating until the grace expires. In which case the rules change and current gear is no longer compliant. Unless of coarse you are ROAR and legal gear could be rendered illegal at any moment. (I digress)

I think the title of this thread is a misnomer. Cheating is never popular. Its discovery makes the perp an instant dork knob. Disliked and untrusted by the other racers. If you can't trust a guy to run the right gear, how can you trust him to not steal your expensive gear the moment your pit is empty. This is about honesty and character. If you dont have them then I care not to hang out with you. At the RC track or anywhere else.

I would rather lose honestly.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I think the title of this thread is a misnomer. Cheating is never popular. Its discovery makes the perp an instant dork knob. Disliked and untrusted by the other racers. If you can't trust a guy to run the right gear, how can you trust him to not steal your expensive gear the moment your pit is empty. This is about honesty and character. If you dont have them then I care not to hang out with you. At the RC track or anywhere else.

I would rather lose honestly.

Sorry for the bad title, I lifted it from the off road thread. Can I change the title now??? I was curious how often this happens as I suspect it does occur more than I realized....
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If a fast guy is fast because of it, I consider it cheating. If a novice is on foam tires vs. rubber tires, and a mod motor, and he/she comes in last place, I don't care.

It's one thing to deceive and a whole other if you're just wanting to race.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Cheat? Technically yes, every car I run at my local is underweight, not massively but 1g will get you DQ'd at a national so I guess I am cheating. As far as running ringer motors I have run a 13.5 in the 17.5 class (I didn't have enough 17.5's to run 1/12 and TC 17.5), but dialed it and my driving back so as not to win. During any big or medium-size event, I make sure I am in compliance in every way to the stated rules even if there are no tech inspections... that way nobody can complain afterward.

As far as reprecussions for cheating, if you're an average joe like most of us and have to cheat to win you probably wouldn't win while cheating. If somebody is caught cheating, a warning and some help going faster while obeying the rules is probably more conducive to the hobby than asking them to not come back... unless they're a complete dick about it and refuse to 'fess up, accept help, or cheats repeatedly.

One tell-tale sign of cheaters is they usually accuse others of cheating... often and loudly... so if you have a whiner in the bunch get out the multimeter and check their motor inductance first.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I like to think that most, if not all, the people I run with on a regular basis don't cheat. Due to how we have some of the rules structured (D3.5 allowed, VTA allowing box stock HPI Sprint 2, etc) and that tech is rarely performed at Mike's I would be hard to tell.

That said for on-road I think its a little easier to figure out after a few weeks some assumptions as to who is really fast and who's car may be questionable.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Cheat? Technically yes, every car I run at my local is underweight, not massively but 1g will get you DQ'd at a national so I guess I am cheating. As far as running ringer motors I have run a 13.5 in the 17.5 class (I didn't have enough 17.5's to run 1/12 and TC 17.5), but dialed it and my driving back so as not to win.
That is a little different than being 1g under weight. A 17.5 used isnt that much or heck offer it for trade! If you aren't going to race to win, why even race in the first place?
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
That is a little different than being 1g under weight. A 17.5 used isnt that much or heck offer it for trade! If you aren't going to race to win, why even race in the first place?
There were only five guys, they all knew I didn't have a 17.5, and they were fine with it, so I rolled the car back and drove super-nice instead of being on the attack. In my mind it was a test-and-tune as much as racing that day, and it was for most of the other guys as well due to low class attendance.

Not every race is a race worth going all-out to win. If you see me at the IIC or some big event I will go all-out and take no prisoners (within the rules) to win, but at your local track that's just not good sportsmanship sometimes.

If it makes you feel better I now own three 17.5 motors, so I probably won't wind up in the same position again.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Instead of cheating, I guess I'd call it as "bending the rules." The rule book has some loopholes that you might want to exploit. It only becomes "illegal" if someone else files a protest.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Tech Master

I don't believe there's cheating at our track. At least not anything anyone cares about at a club race; e.g. weight, chassis height, etc. I also don't really think it's all too possible to cheat your way to the top if you're running with good drivers.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Interesting that this subject always seems to pop up in the electric forums but hardly ever in the nitro forums.

The problem with electric racing is that its too short. It doesn't allow for factors like attrition to set in which happens all the time in real car racing as well as in nitro. Start having 10min. mains and you'll see all the cheat factors start to drop off where real racing skills start to prevail.

Last edited by YR4Dude; 02-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Tech Elite

cheating in an rc race? I have never heard of such a thing...then again it's not cheating until you get caught.. And never copy my setup.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Tech Addict

I personally have to many other things to worry about,such as improving my skills as a driver and understanding my setups than to how best overcome by lack of talent with some cheat. We are a pretty close knit bunch on our club level and cant imagine any one of us cheatin...

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote