R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Durable TCs

Hi all. So, Im entering my 4th race tonight and already I have noticed that my TC3 seems to have durability issues. Im not sure how many of these are from my being a novice and how many are from the car not being durable. So far, in 3 races and 2 practice sessions, Ive gone through 2 front suspension arms, 1 rear hub carrier, 2 turnbuckles, 1 front suspension hinge, and one front suspension mount. Granted, the track I run on is a converted oval, so we have concrete walls on the sides. Im just wondering if, when I upgrade my car, what I should get. Id like to have durablility be a factor in my choice. I dont have much of a preference for belt or shaft at this point. Any suggestions on what cars are durable and fast? Thanks.

Jive.
Jiveslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

jives

hate to say it but it might be the track you race on isnt the most car friendly and might be hitting things a little too hard

i have and love my TC3 for 3 race seasons now, and i havent broke that many things in the three outdoor seasons and 2 indoor seasons

anyway they can make your track a little more car friendly???

later,
Chris08527
TC3 4 LIFE!!!
Chris08527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The AE car is not exaclt a fragile choice but there are products available that are more durable. If durabilty is a concern you may want to look at an X-ray, Corrally, or Baracuda. All three of the cars I mentioned are far more durable than what you have now but when they do break the parts will be more expensive. In general most of your less durable cars such as the AE, and HPI cars will have lower cost replacement parts than their more durable counterpart. For example a pr fo suspensions are for your TC3 was probably about $6-7 and a full set of hing pins goes for like $8 but for an X-Ray 1 suspension arm is $6.0 and a pr of hing pins runs $8.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Tech Addict

You can put some armor on your tc3 to help...
IRS and BRP make an extended front bumper (a must for any racer!)
Also BRP makes things called nerf wings which are basically triangles that stick out from the side/rear of the chassis just infront of the rear wheels. You have to drill 2 holes into the side of the chassis to mount them but they will really help to protect your car. I ran them for 2 years untill I was confident enough to take them off.
Sounds like your running at SoCal, if so look me up this weekend and I'll see what I can do to help ( I usually sit down by the soda machines toward the back, ask around for the TC3 guy and they'll point me out to you...)
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

The IRS bumper works the best. Really, slowing down a bit and not hitting stuff really is the only fix. All race cars can break. It's part of being a new driver. Don't waste money on stuff if you can't drive it perfectly. If you hit the board once, you just canceled out the extra $20 for "team" cells and etc.
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Ding!!! Big Rigg wins the prize! I am indeed racing at SoCal. Those damn outer walls do me in. At least last time (Saturday night) it wasnt my fault. I run in novice class and coming to the start/finish line I got hit by another car and launched into the wall under the driver's stand. Broke the left front suspension arm into 3 pieces. That I know of (wasnt able to recover the whole thing). Bummer too, because it was the first lap of the main and even tho I qualified 5th, I had a real shot at 3rd. Oh well, thats racing. Im going to run this TC3 until I get a lot better, and then Ill upgrade. Just trying to get an idea of what would be a good car, considering my racing environment.

I do like the idea of armoring the car tho. Ill look into those parts.
Jiveslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rubberneck bumper.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

The most durable car I have ever owned was a Schumacher Axis-2
I can't remember ever breaking a part and believe me I did soem great cart wheels with it.
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
Tech Addict

The most durable car I've ever run was HPI sport 2. My old X-ray was not nearly as strong, but had better handling. The Schumacher cars are pretty strong too, I just don't like the design, and have had difficulties in getting consistent handling out of them.

As has been pointed out the TC3 can be made pretty strong by the large BRP front bumper and if I remember correctly RPM also makes good one. I made larger front bumper for my TC3 out of Aluminium plate. The good thing about TC3 was the free drivetrain and brilliant handling on almost every surface "out the box".

If you buy new car, whatever car that is, make sure there are parts available locally. HPI PRO4 and X-Ray FK05 are the cars I want most my self.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally posted by andsetinn
The most durable car I've ever run was HPI sport 2. My old X-ray was not nearly as strong, but had better handling. The Schumacher cars are pretty strong too, I just don't like the design, and have had difficulties in getting consistent handling out of them.
i agree. my hpi pro and hpi rally are indestructible. hard hits against walls are nothing for them. my rally is flexible enough that no damage is not fixable. NEVER broken a single part on either of them. and i believe sport, pro2, sport2, are all about the same durability. as in you cant get much more durable than that.
and my xray is quite good, except those stupid chubs. i need a rubberneck....
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Jive...

For my first car I had a TC4, I broke it often... not much different to a TC3 as far as durability goes. Sure parts are cheap for the car, though I got tired of replacing stuff. I went through arms, hub carriers, bearings... I added an RPM plastic front bumper with a homemade foam and never broke any front end parts after that. Seemed like in making the front tougher, in an impact .. especially an impact where I did not hit the wall headon, the damage was moved to the rear, where I then broke arms, alotta rear hub carriers and rear bearings.

That was up until a month ago... Ok I have had lots of practice, and run relatively well now.. I can even get through a 5 minute heat without hitting the wall, but now I drive an XRay FK'05. This thing is tough, everything about the car is tough, the hingepins must be at least twice as thick as the TC4's, the arms as well. In the month I have been driving the XRay I have broken 1 C-hub and thats it. The parts however do cost more, but not a whole lot more... The carbon arms for a TC4 here in Canada eh, cost about $16 a pr, the XRay arms I believe are around $8-10 each.

The cost of a night at the track is definitely cheaper for me with the XRay, but is that because I am driving better? or because of a more durable car... I think its a bit of both.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by andsetinn
My most durable car was a Tamiya TA03-R, probably helped it didnt go very fast too!
My barracuda has been good so far, given it a few real hard hits into things which dont move and most of the time its come off laughing.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Myker*

TAMIYA DURABILITY TESTER FOR LIFE

i have done almost everything with my previous evo3, jumped roadrails, hit dots one after another, got hacked off t he track, flew half way across it, smack first on the timing and scoring and everything.. even went blazing off in the pits. Didn't break anything.; Boy do i miss that car.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Tech Master

The Evo III is a very nice car. Its just harder to tune for track conditions. The TRF-415 on the other hand, I'm not a fan of. It just kind of wears out and falls apart.

I never had durability issues with the TC3. I had problems with the hinge-pin retainers, soft plastic and belts on the XRay. My current car (Pro4) hasn't given me any grief yet

Still repping G-Fab Myk? Getting to work with/talk to Brandon at Sheldon's is pretty cool.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

The Xray is the toughest car i have seen by a long way, there are a few at my local track and they all make it to the end of the race, they only fail to finsh with electronic problems or cos its not been put together right.
The only weak point it the upper bumper brace and you can finish a race if one of them gets damaged
Dan Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote