R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Sorex or Take Off's?

Which brand is better for outdoor asphalt racing and why?

What do you guys recommend?
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie
Default Re: Sorex or Take Off's?

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry M
Which brand is better for outdoor asphalt racing and why?

What do you guys recommend?
Depends on the track.
for a dusty asphalt I like Take offs for a well preped track I like sorex. They both get the job done. You just have to find what works best for each track. Then find the best compound. If you call a track they know works best for most of the racers there.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Both are great at our carpet track its a 50/50 split. The one plus side of sorex is they have more compounds to choose from and the temp ranges are lower and higher then take off.

I have always personally felt that the sorex offered more grip then the take offs even with supposed harder compounds. For instance i would run 4xsorex 24 tires and felt i had more grip then running 4xtakeoff cs22. Only 2 degree temp diff but the sorrexs seemed to have more grip.

Durabilty goes to takeoff, they last longer hands down
Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, that can vary from any one surface to another(& can be affected by temperature, surface texture, dirt, or other "additives" to the surface). And I know that sometimes, you can use a little of both Sorex & TakeOff tires to good effect, like I did this past weekend. The surface I ran on is a kind of smooth textured concrete, that is sprayed with WD-40, & while you'd think it'd be like running on ice, it isn't, with too much tire you'll traction roll on this track(which I was doing too much when using TakeOff CS-22's all around). So I started playing with all Sorexes, but while I got rid of the traction rolling, I also started sliding some(& this was using Sorex 28R's front & 24R's rear, didn't have any 20's available that day to try) & scrubbing speed, so I eventually ended up trying the CS-22's in the rear again & tried the Sorex 24R's up front, & that got me the balance I was looking for(though I still had a bit more chassis tuning to do), I could finally push the car or finesse it, & it worked either way. In fact, it was so stable that way that I wanted to try a one-way in the car to increase my corner speed(but I couldn't get my hands on one to try, had an old TC3 one but it doesn't fit the transmission bearings in my TC4)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Hi all, just a few questions regarding rubber tyres.

1. The temp ratings such as 26R, 28R, 36R etc.. Should I use the number as a reference to "grip" levels? or Should I determine the correct combination to use according to that days track temperature?

2. What is the normal life for the rubber tyres? eg, how many 5 minute races can one set of tyres last?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I am a noob.
DORIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Well.... I generally use the tyres with the largest temperature band and those are the TO27s for colder days and Sorex 36R for warmer days. In most cases, the Sorex 36R will work even in the colder days with some tyre warmers, but the TO27 is the go on colder days. Yes... the figures presented are KINDA representative as far as track temperatures.... but its best to do a bit of testing really. For Modified... TO27s are good up until you get to around 23-24 degrees track temperature. anything above that.. and Sorex 36R is what I use, but its all about testing and seeing what works for you.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't forget about the inserts you use, they have also an effect on handling. I prefer Orion/Peak JB-Blue. These are the lightest inserts on the market and just work well in almost any conditions.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Well.... I generally use the tyres with the largest temperature band and those are the TO27s for colder days and Sorex 36R for warmer days. In most cases, the Sorex 36R will work even in the colder days with some tyre warmers, but the TO27 is the go on colder days. Yes... the figures presented are KINDA representative as far as track temperatures.... but its best to do a bit of testing really. For Modified... TO27s are good up until you get to around 23-24 degrees track temperature. anything above that.. and Sorex 36R is what I use, but its all about testing and seeing what works for you.

LOL One thing to note is check every forum members location!

ALONSO's cold days are my hot days! LOL

Where i race indoors during the winter months in a basement of a building our "warm" days indoor are maybe 20C air temp but track temp can be well below that 10-15c.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i didn't think the 22, 24, 28, 32, 36 etc was the temperature rating...i thought it was just a number they gave to the compound.

i found sorex's to grain more than take offs, and quicker....even running cs22s outdoors with 10t, sorexs still grained more with a 27t on an even lower grip track

personally, i do prefer take off tyres because they last longer without sacrificing as much grip but sorexs do have a noticable increased amount of grip over takeoff tyres.

down to personal preferance really...i'd try a set of sorex 24s and a set of takeoff cs22s and try them side by side....saying that, choose compounds that are similar but suite your track and temperature.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Lagace
LOL One thing to note is check every forum members location!

ALONSO's cold days are my hot days! LOL

Where i race indoors during the winter months in a basement of a building our "warm" days indoor are maybe 20C air temp but track temp can be well below that 10-15c.
Oh yeh... totally!!! The coldest days we get (cause we race on wednesday nights at my local track every week) would be..... around 14 degrees ambient, maybe less, but usually if its less.... its raining so no racing for us.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote