Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Bars vs Braided Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by jdwca
BTW, Seaball, not to hijack, but make sure you and Jim come on out to our race in June.
if it's on rubber tires, we're sending ray! we have appointed racers for given applications. we are a very structured bunch.

Last edited by seaball; 04-26-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hehehe...yeah, I think Hartman is going to attend. Hopefully, Ray can make it.

I know, I was afraid of rubber tires too.

It's all good now.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I know, I was afraid of rubber tires too.
are you calling me a sissy? you're going down!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ray - I can't tell you how many times this happens with people. I've actually had this happen with team drivers in the distant past. I'll give them the same quality cells I built for myself, but they'll complain that it only cycled at 1.165V or something and mine cycled at 1.185V. When you try to explain to them that they possibly soldered incorrectly or applied too much heat or used cruddy bars or something, they cannot believe it would make such a difference.

Regarding soldering/unsoldering, I usually just tell guys to purchase new packs once they're considering rezapping/rematching. Usually the cells have developed so much memory by then, the only thing to do is sell them or deadshort them if they haven't already done so.

As Seaball said unsoldering and resoldering old packs is generally a no-no for competition racing.
Hello jdwca,

Could you share your method of soldering a pack together. I have 2 new packs that have good numbers, but I don't want to damage them when assembling.

Cheerz
Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
[B]yes copper , silver , Gold have very low numbers of resistance and they are very close. The ability to not corrode is a big factor on what metal to use because that in it self can raise resistance. Here is a small list of materials in order of conductivity that would surprize some of the guys on here!

* silver
* copper
* gold
[B]

Platinum
Gold
Silver

Are the top 3

From 1980's you’ll never see PC cards in your computers have a silver plated cards.

There are Gold plated cards, wonder why?

Obviously you and I will never see Platinum plated PC cards. The last time I saw Platinum something was when I bought her a wedding ring!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

I know I bought my wife a ring too.
The cost of platinum is to high. Instead of paying 5 to 10 dollars for bars you'd be getting finacing at a jewler for battery bars. Imagine paying atleast $1,000 dollars for I pack!

Sea ball acyually in performance on the long run you'll get more bang for the buck performance wise because your batteries will last longer.

Those connectors you use if they were crimped then yes there would be an increase in performance because every time you heat up the wire to solder there is a property in the wire ( I cant remember the term) that deminashes and corrosion settles in thus raising resistance which over time you may think your batteries fell off which in fact it may be wires need to be replaced!

As far as connectors I know someone who has won a few A mains and placed in the A at a roar national and at the Snowbirds. So to me when someone says connectors are bad I laugh. By the way he used deans plugs.

His name Kevin Mitchal.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, that's absolutely true. It's not a good thing if you've been using the same wire for six months and have globs of old solder on the ends of the leads. I see guys soldering with these solder globs and it makes me cringe.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

You know, honestly, I've heard back and forth regarding platinum being a better conductor than silver/gold.

Can anyone give some sort of reasonable documentation to support the claim that platinum is best?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Seems as though I remember hearing that Platinum only becomes a better conductor at high temps. From what I understand the resistance in Gold, Silver, and Copper goes up pretty quickly when temps starting getting really high.

I think that's the "theory" behind Platinum spark plugs, I may be wrong though. It just seems like I remember reading about that somewhere.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Ozwald Bates
Seems as though I remember hearing that Platinum only becomes a better conductor at high temps. From what I understand the resistance in Gold, Silver, and Copper goes up pretty quickly when temps starting getting really high.

I think that's the "theory" behind Platinum spark plugs, I may be wrong though. It just seems like I remember reading about that somewhere.
Actually yes they use it for spark plugs platinum has a higher resistance to heat. Its application in high volatge high heat is the ideal enviroment. Automotive ignition system produce over 150,000 vlts. Anything else will require more maintanence and melt!

Which is the reason for a material that can handle High voltage and withstand temperatures exceeding 1500 degs.

We on the other hand can get away with a softer material.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow.. lots of "opinion" so far.

Now.. any hard data ??
Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Gee, I quoted a source--should I start using 'IBID' and footnotes?

Dude, I work on this stuff all day long and test, test, test. That's my current job (or lack thereof).

SpeedXL, do you have any sources to give this guy?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm very meticulous (as anyone who knows me will tell you) about my soldering work.
Jon, what should a good joint look like? less solder, mirror finish?

I just did this pack, do they look okay to you?
Attached Thumbnails Battery Bars vs Braided Wire-cimg0311.jpg  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Looks great. Believe me, I've seen *all kinds of connections*. Guys will bring their packs up to me and I've got to be kind sometimes.

I used Orion bones exclusively before the Promatch bars. I just thought they were really trick looking too. My only beef with the bones is that they're a small contact area compared with the Promatch. I'm being picky...
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

no in pure form? in PURE pure i think its
gold
silver
copper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.