R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default XRC Ernie Provetti Interview: Your thoughts

All I can say is WOW. This is a very well spoken and thoughtful man. The article was pretty long, 8 pages in all.

I especially like his call for disbanding ROAR in order to create a body that enables racers to climb a ladder of succession. This would finally give many people more of a reason to race than just for bragging rights and a $7.00 trophy.

All in all one of XRC's best articles in some time.

Your thoughts?

-Me

Last edited by Soviet; 04-25-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ernie may have his own agenda for disbanding ROAR...

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ASM
Ernie may have his own agenda for disbanding ROAR...
Perhaps. I must ask though, did you read the article? He explains many of the "urban legends" about him. Of course it could be a huge publicity piece, however it was too logical to be just that.

One of his main points is this:

We have a hobby/sport with no defined path of ascention. No way to record your rise through the ranks of drivers.

We...right now are a thousand individual racing organizations (tracks) following loosely defined rules created by a small mom and pop organization.

A new sanctioning body with common sense rules and a path of driver achievement would unite us as racers. This would be nothing but good for the hobby. A common-sense reform to unite all of us for a common goal.

All other professional racing organizations have a multi-tiered ascention path. Why don't we? I mean, RC is a multi-million dollar industry. Why is a multi-million dollar industry floating around in a muck of contradictory rules and afflicted with lack of focus?

We should be organized. New drivers all over the world should compete with drivers of their skill level.

We should have a system of ascention where the drivers move from Novice, amature, sportsman, professional.

A real change to how we do things could breath much-needed life into this hobby/sport.

-Me
Old 04-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Regardless of what is said most racers have their own ideas of what they believe will work best. Does ROAR have some outdated things going on....certainly. ROAR is run by volunteers and in some case....well, you get what you pay for. Everyone bitches but VERY FEW volunteer their time or even vote when it's time.

All these things mentioned sound great but exactly who's gonna pay for all these ideas to be put in motion?

Isn't it a safe assumption that some manufacturers would love to have a sanctioning rule body that they have more control over?

You want a path for ascension....I'm not sure how it could be done differently. Right now you can win your regional race, nationals race and compete at the IFMAR level if you're good enough. All using the same rules....that are NOT loosely defined.

You say other forms of racing have clear cut paths of ascension. Grassroots level club racing is the same as real Saturday night stock car racing.....they all have different rules and many different classes. The clear path of ascension becomes more defined at the higher levels.....that already happens in R/C as well.

Could thing be better or more modern to a degree....certainly. Should the manufactures ever run the show or be the financial resource behind a new sanctioning rule body (because someone has to pay for it)? No way! Do you think the average racer is going to pay anymore than they already HATE to pay for ROAR?

Could you see Ford, GM or Dodge running NASCAR? The sanctioning rule body defines the rules and the manufacturers have to play by them.....sorta like what you have in r/c already.

Besides the nice longggg article, who's money do you think paid for all those pages? Ever notice just how Trinity ads are in those magazines compared to all the other companies. You look into the cost of advertising in those magazines? Does Trinity make some good stuff....yes. Have they helped move this hobby forward...yes. Hve they been a driving force....yes. Does Trinity need anymore say so in what we use, how soon it's aproved or anything else along those lines.....NO! Watch out for the smoke and mirrors...LOL!

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116

Last edited by ASM; 04-25-2005 at 06:26 PM.
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ASM
Regardless of what is said most racers have their own ideas of what they believe will work best. Does ROAR have some outdated things going on....certainly. ROAR is run by volunteers and in some case....well, you get what you pay for. Everyone bitches but VERY FEW volunteer their time or even vote when it's time.

All these things mentioned sound great but exactly who's gonna pay for all these ideas to be put in motion?

Isn't it a safe assumption that some manufacturers would love to have a sanctioning rule body that they have more control over?

You want a path for ascension....I'm not sure how it could be done differently. Right now you can win your regional race, nationals race and compete at the IFMAR level if you're good enough. All using the same rules....that are NOT loosely defined.

You say other forms of racing have clear cut paths of ascension. Grassroots level club racing is the same as real Saturday night stock car racing.....they all have different rules and many different classes. The clear path of ascension becomes more defined at the higher levels.....that already happens in R/C as well.

Could thing be better or more modern to a degree....certainly. Should the manufactures ever run the show or be the financial resource behind a new sanctioning rule body (because someone has to pay for it)? No way! Do you think the average racer is going to pay anymore than they already HATE to pay for ROAR?

Could you see Ford, GM or Dodge running NASCAR? The sanctioning rule body defines the rules and the manufacturers have to play by them.....sorta like what you have in r/c already.

Besides the nice longggg article, who's money do you think paid for all those pages? Ever notice just how Trinity ads are in those magazines compared to all the other companies. You look into the cost of advertising in those magazines? Does Trinity make some good stuff....yes. Have they helped move this hobby forward...yes. Hve they been a driving force....yes. Does Trinity need anymore say so in what we use, how soon it's aproved or anything else along those lines.....NO! Watch out for the smoke and mirrors...LOL!
Please read the article before going off on rants. The industry already forks out enough money to cover "expenses". many people don't realize how much is already spent in racing, by the manufacturers. But if you read the article it would help a bit
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

First off, I have to say that I was impressed with this article. I read it today and it did give me a few ideas. I agree with Ernie on the front of ROAR needing some big-time changes. I also have taken into consideration the possibly consequences of having a manufacturer-controlled governing body. If the manufacturers want to see change like we all do, then what they can do is financially support the governing body, but have it be run by racers as it is now. I know it would be hard to justify to the manufacturers, but if they want to see a change in R/C racing as Ernie does, then they would put in some to get a lot.

ROAR is a volunteer run organization, and as such does not have the funds or people to get the work done that they need to get done. Given a helping hand by all the major manufacturers, ROAR could change and so could any ROAR races. Regionals and Nationals would not have, or would have less of the drama and problems associated with them now.

But there is another thing that Ernie stated directly but also implied; the technology advances CAN and WILL happen, so why is ROAR shutting them down? Given a looser price cap on motors and changes in the rules, the manufacturers could get very creative with their motor designs and bring us all better quality products. People complain about the poor(er) quality and consistency of stock motors. With a $40.00 retail price cap, there is only so much manufacturers can do. If that were raised, motors could be made better and would be faster than what we have now.

On the brushless front, someone needs to take control of the situation. The rules are full of ambiguity and are unfair compared to brushed rules. If ROAR insists they race in the same class, rules have to be changed for one or both classes. Even if modified and brushless are seperate, the rules and limits for motors should be similar.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
First off, I have to say that I was impressed with this article. I read it today and it did give me a few ideas. I agree with Ernie on the front of ROAR needing some big-time changes. I also have taken into consideration the possibly consequences of having a manufacturer-controlled governing body. If the manufacturers want to see change like we all do, then what they can do is financially support the governing body, but have it be run by racers as it is now. I know it would be hard to justify to the manufacturers, but if they want to see a change in R/C racing as Ernie does, then they would put in some to get a lot.

ROAR is a volunteer run organization, and as such does not have the funds or people to get the work done that they need to get done. Given a helping hand by all the major manufacturers, ROAR could change and so could any ROAR races. Regionals and Nationals would not have, or would have less of the drama and problems associated with them now.

But there is another thing that Ernie stated directly but also implied; the technology advances CAN and WILL happen, so why is ROAR shutting them down? Given a looser price cap on motors and changes in the rules, the manufacturers could get very creative with their motor designs and bring us all better quality products. People complain about the poor(er) quality and consistency of stock motors. With a $40.00 retail price cap, there is only so much manufacturers can do. If that were raised, motors could be made better and would be faster than what we have now.

On the brushless front, someone needs to take control of the situation. The rules are full of ambiguity and are unfair compared to brushed rules. If ROAR insists they race in the same class, rules have to be changed for one or both classes. Even if modified and brushless are seperate, the rules and limits for motors should be similar.
Ernie addressed the point of raising prices when the economy is not doing well. He doesn't think it was fair to the racer to make a motor more expensive.

Also Scott.

Please count those pages. Trinity isn't the number one advertiser in any magazine. That's like saying the Advertisers on this website control what's written. How about you read then form an opinion on the article that's being talked about...seems that would make more sense then making up stuff about advertising and magazines and about the article in general.

Someday I'll print all the hate letters and threats I've received from advertisers. I guess since they own us and control what's in the editorial that they were in "fun".

Money makes the entire world go round. In EVERY part of the world. That's nothing to hide, but our reputation and integrity is worth more than a "few pages". Sorry for the rant, but nothing gets under my skin more than somebody commenting about stuff they actually never read and implying that we are somehow controlled by a company that at one point advertised the most.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Ernie addressed the point of raising prices when the economy is not doing well. He doesn't think it was fair to the racer to make a motor more expensive.

Also Scott.

Please count those pages. Trinity isn't the number one advertiser in any magazine. That's like saying the Advertisers on this website control what's written. How about you read then form an opinion on the article that's being talked about...seems that would make more sense then making up stuff about advertising and magazines and about the article in general.

Someday I'll print all the hate letters and threats I've received from advertisers. I guess since they own us and control what's in the editorial that they were in "fun".

Money makes the entire world go round. In EVERY part of the world. That's nothing to hide, but our reputation and integrity is worth more than a "few pages". Sorry for the rant, but nothing gets under my skin more than somebody commenting about stuff they actually never read and implying that we are somehow controlled by a company that at one point advertised the most.
Derek,

I have to say that after reading several of your editorials that I tend to agree with alot of your points on RC. From race length and the wasting of good batteries to how to better promote the hobby you have been spot on.

Here's to hoping someones listening.

Cheers!

-Sean

-Me
Old 04-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll read the article when I get the magazine. I've known Scott for many years and he knows what he is talking about. I've also known What Ernie has done and hasn't done. I've sat with him and talked about the problems in ROAR.I don't agree with everything but who does. Do you want to carry on the complaining about stuff from the distant past? Several months ago in one of the many magaizines out there I saw a very disturbing photo ( won't go into to it) But it did tell me something I did suspect about Trinity for several years. So regardless I'll read the article with a grain of salt.
Bill Fraden - Region 4 director
Racing for 25 years
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB

Also Scott.

Derek I dont care who but if your getting x amount of dollars a year and those dollars account for atleast 1/4 of your magazines income you will cater somewhat to that account. Money talks bull walks. As far as what Scott wrote it is fairly accurate. You tell me that you guys dont cater to any manufactures is wrong. Like I said loose a 1/4 of a stable yearly income whose going to replace that gap? Because from what I know there arent any other "trinity " size companies out there to fill that loss of income for the magazines! They may not be the ones with the most pages but they pay for it and its income thats comming in!

Having Manufactures involved in a sanctioning body is suiecidal. We would have new products every day! We wouldnt be able to keep up.

Go Ahead Derek blast me its your turn!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #11
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: XRC Ernie Provetti Interview: Your thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
This is a very well spoken and thoughtful man.
Well Spoken? Not even close.
Thoughtful? Perhaps. He makes no bones about separating business from hobby, and I can't fault him for that. He just might be misunderstood as thoughtless and evil. lol

But he is far from well spoken. He actually sounds like a spoiled 11 year old. Guantanamo Bay? lol Thats childish, and even if his sarcasm didn't come though in text, thats still a bit much. He said he didn't want to waste time talking about the Carpet Nats since he wasn't there, but actually mentioned it 3 times over the following few comments and even returned to the subject in his final page rant.

His good ideas are riddled with nonsense and lost in his pompous way of presenting them.

The article was good though. About as good as the Toso bit. I love the inteviews. Can't wait for the next one.

I'm not going to get into the debates stemming from EPs comments here. We've debated them across a number of different threads.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #12
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: XRC Ernie Provetti Interview: Your thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by JKA
Well Spoken? Not even close.
Thoughtful? Perhaps. He makes no bones about separating business from hobby, and I can't fault him for that. He just might be misunderstood as thoughtless and evil. lol

But he is far from well spoken. He actually sounds like a spoiled 11 year old. Guantanamo Bay? lol Thats childish, and even if his sarcasm didn't come though in text, thats still a bit much. He said he didn't want to waste time talking about the Carpet Nats since he wasn't there, but actually mentioned it 3 times over the following few comments and even returned to the subject in his final page rant.

His good ideas are riddled with nonsense and lost in his pompous way of presenting them.

The article was good though. About as good as the Toso bit. I love the inteviews. Can't wait for the next one.

I'm not going to get into the debates stemming from EPs comments here. We've debated them across a number of different threads.
Well spoken in the fact that his grasp on the current situation seems rather firm.

Mostly though, I enjoyed the fact that XRC demonatrated that they are capable of publishing more than just the standard industry schlock. (reviews, new products, etc.)

I enjoy reading and I expect to be able to READ insightful and interesting articles from time to time in a magazine that I subscribe to.

XRC just stepped up a notch in my book by publishing a damn fine piece of journalism.

-Me
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
Tech Elite

I even like the piece on tosso it time someone actually put some real stories in our mags!

It would be nice having this monthly on the top drivers ! Or any of the movers and shakers of the RC industry to see where they came from and what they went thru to get to the top.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
Derek I dont care who but if your getting x amount of dollars a year and those dollars account for atleast 1/4 of your magazines income you will cater somewhat to that account. Money talks bull walks. As far as what Scott wrote it is fairly accurate. You tell me that you guys dont cater to any manufactures is wrong. Like I said loose a 1/4 of a stable yearly income whose going to replace that gap? Because from what I know there arent any other "trinity " size companies out there to fill that loss of income for the magazines! They may not be the ones with the most pages but they pay for it and its income thats comming in!

Having Manufactures involved in a sanctioning body is suiecidal. We would have new products every day! We wouldnt be able to keep up.

Go Ahead Derek blast me its your turn!
It's not blasting but letting you know how the world works. Of course we "cater" to our customers, but unfortunatley for your conspriracy theory, that doesn't mean making things up or misleading the reader. You may have misconceptions from other magazines, but you need to let go. 5 pages of Trinity Advetising isn't going to close the doors. There are 5 small companies that can replace any one big compnay.

Not understanding that in every industry and form of racing that the manufacturers have more vested interest in the industry is the suicidal. But I'm guessing you didn't read the article either and are commenting out of the blue.

I'm curious why you think that manufacturers would ruin the industry. You realize that for the most part the manufacturers have been on the ROAR board and in control?

Next please.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: XRC Ernie Provetti Interview: Your thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Well spoken in the fact that his grasp on the current situation seems rather firm.

Mostly though, I enjoyed the fact that XRC demonatrated that they are capable of publishing more than just the standard industry schlock. (reviews, new products, etc.)

I enjoy reading and I expect to be able to READ insightful and interesting articles from time to time in a magazine that I subscribe to.

XRC just stepped up a notch in my book by publishing a damn fine piece of journalism.
Thanks for the props. You don't have to like the man after reading it. It was an interesting article, that was word for word our converstation. Not editted to make sentences correct or anything. It's the candid nature of the article I like.